The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Yes that should be fine id they are 3000mAH or larger in capacity, You can try bridging the board jumpers for higher gain. In the niddle of the board there are 2 solder pads and you just solder bridge them. I can load a photo if that would help. The nice thing about this change is that it is reversible with a bit of solder wick

With 14V maximum voltage for the Maxamp (MAX9744) you would need a different amplifier to get more undistorted output power.

Twice as loud needs x10 the power. So your demand increase from 20W to 200W. In a 4ohms setup this renders to:

sqrt(4R*200W) = 28.3Vrms

28.3Vrms *sqrt(2) = 39Vsupply

This calls for a BTL output amp and like 42V system voltage.

The above calculation is based on 10% THD. More realistic is 1% THD, where the MAX9744 is putting out 14W into 4R.

Same math:

sqrt(4R*140W) = 23.7Vrms

23.7Vrms * sqrt(2) = 33.4V

Nice - i you like to stay on SLA or LiFePo4, a 36V system will do. (I.e. 3x12V 5Ah SLA)

The amp must then withstand the full charge voltage + margin: 3x14.7V + 10% = 48.5V (if not using a buck/boost in front)

This calls for a TPA3255 or the older TAS5630B.

www.ebay.com/itm/TAS5630-Dual-Channel-2x300W-Class-D-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-Board-HIFI-AD827-DIY-/111977963749

Last edited:
No debate on the math but please change the gain setting Before spending money. It is *really* loud with the MaxAmp. At 50+ feet or so it is too loud for easy conversation. Btw, when you say it sounds distorted, can you give us some more information about the listening environment? Indoors, outside, on the ground, on a stand, etc?

Here a quote from Westly the maker of the MaxAmp:

"We offer our maxamps with two gain settings. The low setting uses the standard gain, so 20K input and 20K feedback resistors. With the gain set to low and the volume pot set to maximum the gain is 29.5dB. With the gain set to "high" the gain is 37.5dB. I would only use the high gain settings with a low output source such as a iPod or iPhone"

No debate on the math but please change the gain setting Before spending money. It is *really* loud with the MaxAmp. At 50+ feet or so it is too loud for easy conversation. Btw, when you say it sounds distorted, can you give us some more information about the listening environment? Indoors, outside, on the ground, on a stand, etc?

Here a quote from Westly the maker of the MaxAmp:

"We offer our maxamps with two gain settings. The low setting uses the standard gain, so 20K input and 20K feedback resistors. With the gain set to low and the volume pot set to maximum the gain is 29.5dB. With the gain set to "high" the gain is 37.5dB. I would only use the high gain settings with a low output source such as a iPod or iPhone"

Its distorted in any enviroment, it also sounds very flat. And yes, its built according to the original plans.
I'll try the other gain settins later today.

Tyvm

Its distorted in any enviroment, it also sounds very flat. And yes, its built according to the original plans.
I'll try the other gain settins later today.

Tyvm

Okay. I asked because it sounds almost awful inside. If you have not taken it outside, put it on the ground and stepped 20 feet away then please do so before drawing conclusions on sound quality. good luck!!!

Okay. I asked because it sounds almost awful inside. If you have not taken it outside, put it on the ground and stepped 20 feet away then please do so before drawing conclusions on sound quality. good luck!!!

Actually i just tried it for a short moment on the balcony. I'll give it another shot outside.
I just remembered the speaker are supposed to play in mono, witch it's not right now. Maybe this is the problem? How can i make it play mono, in a easy way?
Would this do the trick?
https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/7128

Actually i just tried it for a short moment on the balcony. I'll give it another shot outside.
I just remembered the speaker are supposed to play in mono, witch it's not right now. Maybe this is the problem? How can i make it play mono, in a easy way?
Would this do the trick?
https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/7128

It will not sound right on the balcony. The design is optimized to sit on the ground and to be 3+ meters away. If it is a 4 speaker boominator it should not be mono. The front and back speakers on one side play the left channel and the other side play the right channel. What tweeters are you using? Do you have any photographs to share of the wiring?

yeah, indoors it does NOT sound that great, especially on a table or something.

but, on the floor, in a big room, or outdoors on ground, it's crazy.

took mine outside to check it out--briefly--powered by a 24v Sure tda7498 amplifier.

cranked it up and within 30 seconds a neighbor was screaming across the back alley "WHAT THE F*&K!?!?!?!?"

crystal clear, no distortion, doesn't even seem that loud, but then you realize you have to yell to talk over it if you are standing near it, it's super loud.

So, don't judge overall sound indoors or without cranking it up.

It will not sound right on the balcony. The design is optimized to sit on the ground and to be 3+ meters away. If it is a 4 speaker boominator it should not be mono. The front and back speakers on one side play the left channel and the other side play the right channel. What tweeters are you using? Do you have any photographs to share of the wiring?

I do not have any pictures but i followed this one:
Untitled-1.jpg

For tweeters, i'm using the Monacor MPT-001.

Okay. The diagram is fine however sometimes we make implementation mistakes. :). Try it outside and let us know how it goes.

You might be on to something here! I might have done a huge mistake in the wiring. I think my speaker is wired so the "front" speaker are on one channel and the "back" speakers are on the other channel. :eek:

Holy ****, let's see if i can get it open. Any ideas?? :spin:

Just another question on the 2 x maxAmp setup...

I've been happily using a single maxamp on my hot pink boominator for a year or so, but I do get quite a bit of distortion at 80 to 100% volume.

up until now I'm using a single 7ah lead acid battery with the accusafe v3.5, with some beefy cables.

Unfortunately I got a bit overenthusiastic with the wood glue and now I don't want to break open the speaker compartments to change the setup from combined passive filters, to separate and to run the tweeters and mids on different maxamps as per the recommended approach.

Do you reckon I should:
1) add another battery in parallel so that I can get more stable voltage to the maxamp
2) add another maxamp (one for the left, one for the right - not optimal I know, see above)
3) just skip out the accusafe module and ensure there is a super beefy connection between the battery and the maxamp

as always, thanks to the community for the good times!!!