The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Last edited:
Seems the p audio 407N tweeter has gone out of production. At least I can't find it anymore. The 407 is still available on ebay.

This may be a big ask, but can anyone help with what the crossover would need to be? The 407 is 2db less efficient.

Still available here atleast according to the site. Could be expensive shipping though..

https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUPHT407N

You either round over 12mm or chamfer 8-9mm.

I've read through most of the thread and I'm still a bit confused on the rounding over. Do I have to round over the front baffles and port holes / handles only? These are the only parts that could be rounded over with 12mm as far as I understand.

What about the center brace cutouts? I've seen photos of those being rounded over as well, but with something like 4mm instead of 12mm. I feel it would be impossible to round over center brace on both sides with 12mm.

Impedance and other things

I'm going to Roskilde this year, so we are planning to build a setup using 2x Cubo 15 and 2x halfinators with pht407n as tops.

Unfortunately I bought the 2013 model of the bassface DB4.2 which has a fixed HPF @ 80 Hz with a 12 dB / octave slope. I guess it's fine enough, although a bit higher crossover point would have been preferred.

The bassface DB4.2 is stated to be stable at 4 ohm bridged, but I can't understand the filter schematic for the HP10W and PHT407n (both are 8 ohm nominal), it should be 4 ohm, but since all of the speakers are connected in parallel shouldn't it be 2 ohm? Has it got something to do with the resistor? I intend to use a 15 watt rated resistor instead of a 5 watt as the bassface 4.2 outputs around 200 watts RMS in bridged mode.

The bassface will supply the 2x Cubo15 with a crossover at around 90 Hz since it's only a 12 dB/octave slope.

Do you see any problems in this setup? Filter schematic is attached.

Attachments

• HP10W PHT407N filter.jpg
    HP10W PHT407N filter.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Qubinator help

Guys,

After long research I decided to build a qubinator. Apparently this gives a better audio experience than a halfinator - and is cheaper!

Currently looking for HP10T drivers, but cannot find a supplier! Does anybody know a even-worthy alternative?
Should be a full-range 10" driver.

Greetz from Belgium!

I've read through most of the thread and I'm still a bit confused on the rounding over. Do I have to round over the front baffles and port holes / handles only? These are the only parts that could be rounded over with 12mm as far as I understand.

What about the center brace cutouts? I've seen photos of those being rounded over as well, but with something like 4mm instead of 12mm. I feel it would be impossible to round over center brace on both sides with 12mm.

You've got it right. The 12 mm was specific to the baffles. Saturnus had reported that the specific value was chosen to tune a minor aspect of the FR. The port handles and center braces should have 6 mm round over for the HP10 builds.

Guys,

After long research I decided to build a qubinator. Apparently this gives a better audio experience than a halfinator - and is cheaper!

Currently looking for HP10T drivers, but cannot find a supplier! Does anybody know a even-worthy alternative?
Should be a full-range 10" driver.

Greetz from Belgium!

Goldwood GW-108 and Basslite S2010 are the only other options that were 'approved' and required use of PHT-407N tweeters. They each had some differences in the build and I don't know if they were discussed at all for qubinator builds. I'm a but surprised you can't find the P-Audio drivers in Europe. Historically that is the only place they were readily available.

Last edited: