The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Since the sketchup file isn't made for monacor mpt-001 tweeters which need a 78mm circle cutout (sketchup one is 76), I'm wondering if the circle midpoint still should be placed 68mm from the edge?
I have some vague memory of reading earlier in the thread that tweeters indeed always should be placed 68mm from the edge but I really don't trust myself

Im building a halfinator atm, i Made the tweeters hole 76mm it fits perfectly. Halfinator Build - Update 25/1 - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Huh, I measured it and got around 77.5 (doublechecked now, yep) which seems too big for a 76mm hole...

and also now that I actually opened all of the boxes one of the four tweeters is completely crushed lol and they're probably not even monacor ones, it looks like these ones: Disconetto har PA/Diskant fra MPT-001 - Piezohorn til gode priser.
wtf?

Edit: allright, IMG Stageline is apparently a monacor company of some sorts, nevermind!

Last edited:
Size unlimited?

What about:

attachment.php

Sub: ~103dB/W/1m

Attachments

• 134_CIMG0592.JPG
    134_CIMG0592.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 582
Gmarsh - do you think running 2 of your cAMPs, in order to get 4 channels, in a signature boominator would be too power hungry to be practical?

Secondly, I read a comment you made on the cAMP thread about the chip being able to handle 24v on a 4ohm load.. does this mean that you could run the cAMP on 24v in the signature boominator? or have i misunderstood that...

I'm really eager to find a viable alternative to my non-functional Amp9.

I'd suggest just using a passive crossover and a single card. There's not much efficiency loss with the passive crossover, and having 1 card running means half the quiescent current, and you won't need an active crossover.

Max battery voltage on the cAMP is 14.4V, don't go over this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Cross overs done. Now I need to round over the baffles, do a test glue up and driver fit, and decide if i need to drill dowel holes for the baffle to aid in alignment.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Alignment dowels for the port are perfect. Larger picture

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Center brace routing is done.

A battery fits perfectly:
Hello aterren I was wondering what did you use for your crossovers? Are those white board just plywood painted white or they Fiberglass pcbs? Also where did you place your crossovers? in the electronic compartment or in the speaker cabinet? Great work by the way!

Right. I guess i'm reluctant to do that now because i've got all the (expensive) parts for the signature version and that would be basically making an expensive standard version... still awesome but not what i was aiming for.

I do already have the miniDSP as well.

outside of the cAMP, would you have any suggestions of a decent 4 channel amp to replace the Amp9... I see quite a few online but i don't really know what to look for.

Thanks to every ones help on this forum I got my boominator working in time for our first baseball tournament of the season and it was a hit (pun intended)!

Here is the biggest questions I have now. I used my iPhone and tablet as source devices and my boominator was decently loud at the tournament. Other teams had small karaoke type machines that they used and my boominator was louder, but not by much. Well, the other night I hooked my boominator up to my laptop in my office and WOW! It was easily twice as loud and sounded great. What do I need to do to get the same power when I'm on the baseball field without having to take my laptop (to much dust and chances of damage are GREAT)? Is there another source input I could use or a way to make my iPhone or tablet get the same results?

Thanks for the help!

-Andy

Depending on what you want to glue, you may go with this. (Haven't read what are you trying to glue)

Wood? -> Wood glue (PU based)
Parts + Wood or Sealing? -> Marin & Teknik would be fine

Give it a try and share the results. :)

You may even go for tape, like the ACXplus. This sticks like nothing i ever seen in my life! We use it at work, once fitted theres no way back.

tesa® ACXplus

Depending on what you want to glue, you may go with this. (Haven't read what are you trying to glue)

Wood? -> Wood glue (PU based)
Parts + Wood or Sealing? -> Marin & Teknik would be fine

Give it a try and share the results. :)

You may even go for tape, like the ACXplus. This sticks like nothing i ever seen in my life! We use it at work, once fitted theres no way back.

tesa® ACXplus

I'm just gluing the filmed plywood mainly but also intend to use it on gluing the woofer backs to the centre brace (this isn't really important, I have some other glue which will work for this, but I'm lazy). That's it though. Plain PU wood glue won't work well since the plywood is filmed!

But there's no reason to worry that the 20% elasticity in the marin & teknik will impact performance?