The Black Hole......

There are no bean counters?

There are no accountants?

The ones I met must have been mirages?

Seriously, this follows a pattern, pick on a word like 'fix' or 'bean counters' (that wan't me) and what follows is a cheap shot.

Like Bill would say, a 'fix' is 'weaponsing' until he realised that he as was actually been quoted using the word himself and made a goose of himself because he used the exact phrase himself. That was hilarious.

Now 'bean counters' is being weaponised? It's getting more hilarious still.

Now I understand that coming from Bill, he has history. He is a wolf without the sheep's clothing. :D :D :D

Is Bonsai Japanese? They have bean counters galore? But then, some are good, some are bad, I know because I used to work for some Jap companies (oh, "he just used a racist word?").

Surprised?

Weaponised?

Hardly!

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@Joe,

No one is weaponizing anyone. Stop flashing the victim card.

I am tired of hearing people blame others for crap designs or crap work. If a design is crap, the designer bares responsibility- not some faceless unnamed accountant or marketer.

Like I said earlier no accountant has ever come to me and said it’s too expensive despite my involvement in dozens of electronic products and hundreds of semiconductor products.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That was probably their mistake. There are severe limits to what can be done and EQ tends to shift the problem from one place to another, whether literally within the room space or elsewhere electrically and/or acoustically.

I’d agree with that. Probably amongst the worst 2 or 3 things I’ve heard at an audio show (the other was a flea power tube amp driving a small single driver horn speaker). Absolutely flat.

The whole point is to line up both voltage and current supplied by the amplifier. It is not rocket science. Probably even more important with Class AB amplifiers.

Look up research done by Hans van Maanen of Temporal Coherence.

Mind you, there have been cases where Hans has not agreed with me (I am optimistic that one day I will) and look up his ideas of 'temporal listening' and maybe that would be a good topic here? On this, I am tending on agreeing 90% with him. The last 10% just in case there might be something. ;)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
But why? The amp doesn’t care. Most decent modern solid state amps will deliver 10’s of Amps if required.

As a speaker designer just keep the minimum impedance dip above 3 ohms and the phase angle <60 degrees.

Let Hans do a sim as offered to show you that out of phase voltage and current in a typical system is not an issue for the amp.

What is an issue are speakers that dip below 2 ohms with big phase angles (eg Finial) - and that’s just bad design (no accountants involved).

I agree with about half you say. What else can I say? But that bit about the current not making a difference unless it is kept within a certain envelope, well, more recent and serious research elsewhere give us reason to think that is an entirely incomplete picture. Additional variables not yet considered by you paint a subtly different picture. I think in time you might see this.

I am primarily out to find out for myself, knock heads with people I know (and they know the real me and not the less-than-reliable social media impression of me, which then somehow becomes a strange reason to assault by those who value ego above science and truth) and get a serious and non-condemnatory discussion going.

There are two kinds of Devil's Advocate. You have planted yourself in one camp. The other kind keeps the personal stuff out of it because it isn't about ego. It is not a competition. It is an endeavour!

Can I say that climate change/global warming is real?

I don't know exactly why I felt the need to say that?

I suppose I am trying to say that I believe in science, but not much faith in politics (and have no desire to discuss that). What I am saying is that seven years of character assassination on certain forums on diyaudio.com by individuals who know who they are, I just don't care anymore. I will counter with devilish humour and give back, but won't be nasty in kind.

Sorry, just had three glasses of Chardonnay (or was it four?) and I thought "damn the torpedos."

Know what I mean?

Off to bed, I feel rather good. Burp! Oops!!!

Hangover tomorrow? At least I will blame myself and not others. ;)

Last edited:
Facebook? Eeeeww - I wouldnt touch that platform with a 10 ft...

IMHO, there have been countless great products that were once made, but you cant get anymore. Instead, they have this other thing that stinks compared to the original. Perhaps the margins are a bit better... Of course, that's not always the case - just, by Murphy's law - happens to be with the particular thing you want.

Oh, voltage and current track within certain bounds. Sounds like a resistive load to me. Wrap right back around to KEF's idea of adding all these extra components into the Xover to do just that. "Makes it easier for the amp to drive - and you'll hear it" is their rationale. I suppose so. Ever try to do a cap upgrade on a KEF crossover? Gets expensive - and I bet you'll "hear" the Al-El caps you figure only "burn power" (correct phase)

I see that idea as separate from a high impedance source driving a FR speaker crossed well above its resonant frequency. Only for separately powered drivers? I'm fine with that. Impractical even for DIY? I seem to be fine with that, too. To the point where I'm ready to mount up those little transformers right behind the amp - and run the Hi-Z side down the speaker cable. Gee, I wonder what guage I'd need ;')

I'm thinking the old 300 Ohm TV antenna stuff would work out fine. Too bad you cant get it anymore.

@Joe,
Stop flashing the victim card.

But that's what he comes here for!

I agree
can I say
I think
I am
myself
I know
the real me
impression of me
Can I say
I don't know
I felt
I suppose
I am
I believe
I am saying
I just don't
I will
I thought
I mean
I feel
I will
myself

But at least he doesn't "value ego above science and truth"!
:D

I was fiddling around this afternoon:

Hamlet_Xover_Layout.gif

Couldn't get it to work! But then, my name isn't Joe. :eek:

Ended up with the usual stuff:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Better the Devil you know, than the Devil you don't... :D