The Black Hole......

My sleep pattern is usually a 3-4 hour sleep followed by 3-4 hours awake and then another nap. It has been that way since I was mid teens.

If you ever have the need to visit the Edison Museum in West Orange NJ (about 8 miles from our NJ house) you can see the various spots that spots in which he would take naps!

Good luck on the patent.

Not for long.;)

jeff

In my cheapest microphones I have the loaded PCBs made in Pittsburgh, they cost me $16.00 ea. the rest of it including packing brings it to $25.00. The folks who have them made in China wholesale them a bit above $90.00.

Quantity certainly has a lot to do with it as does amount of human labor versus machine time.

I just spent $500.00 on the material to make 300 cases. Human labor will be one day. Of course the machine to do most of the work sells today for $185,000.00!

Some things are cheaper offshore, but it has to be quantity and little skilled labor required.

Last edited:
Some things are cheaper offshore, but it has to be quantity and little skilled labor required.

Ed, did you ever own a Questar? Made in Pa. My dream in high school was to own a 7" Questar now at $13,000 not as unaffordable. Decades later I bought a used loaded 7" Meade refractor for $5000 and used it 2 or 3 times, there must be a message there. I've tried to donate it to a high school science program but the shipping is large.

Ed, did you ever own a Questar? Made in Pa. My dream in high school was to own a 7" Questar now at $13,000 not as unaffordable.

I did not, but 40 years ago (sounds familiar?) I polished my own 8" parabolic mirror, took me almost 1 year. Also build my own Foucault knife-edge and Ronchi test benches with the slit made out of razor blades, the guys at the fab were so kind to coat my mirror with aluminum in a Balzers electron gun deposition system. I had to clean it myself before deposition though, including a nerve wrecking HF 1:15 dip.

Got stuck in the tracking mechanics and never finished the assembly, but the optics was world class. I still have the 8" parabolic mirror, unfortunately the flat elliptical mirror was lost during a move some 30 years ago...

Derfy,

Next time machining PVC use a cutting fluid pump with tap water to which you add a small amount of liquid dish soap.

Now if you insist on machining it dry, then be sure to wear a dust mask.

If you don't want to do either, can we talk about my buying a life insurance policy on you? ;)

Dry inside an enclosure, mask, and one very upset shop vac. ;) There are plenty of reasons to put a life insurance policy on me, but this one is lower on the totem pole.

Static doesn't require 5 runs through an ultrasound bath though!

I regularly have to do some heroic ultrasound cleans on plastic parts to get them clean clean clean. Heated bath, liquinox (or alconox, plenty of equivalent detergents), the whole bit. I find metal parts infinitely easier to clean. (But wafer bonding personally takes the cake in fussiness.

I always wanted a nice telescope, and a friend had a 6" Celestron which was OK, but all my free time and money went into ham radio back then. I couldn't afford to buy so I made a xtal transmitter very much like this one:
https://www.w8ji.com/images/Transmitter%20design/40M%20CW%20Transmitter%20example.jpg
Keep in mind high-power RF semiconductors were wayyyy expensive (like big telescope mirrors and and likely just as fragile) in the mid-70's, so us po-boys teenagers had to use tubes to generate high-level RF! Fortunately the power transformers were easily salvaged from TV sets.

My end-fed long-wire antenna was launched high into the trees in my parent's back yard using an Estes rocket trailing #30 enameled...the rocket hung up there until winter...

Every new thing made when you are first learning becomes a memorable milestone in the process...but I think neutralizing HF transmitters was less tedious than grinding mirrors...

Cheers!
Howie