The Black Hole......

Yes, that was the major selling point at that time, also for the Thorens 124 I briefly owned in the 70's. But I found the rumble from the idler wheel disturbing, and the magnetic platter had such a strong pull over my MC cartridges that setting the tracking force was at best a guess work. I sold it for $400, and now it's worth thousands.

I never heard of EMT before, but after some googling I found that in 1980 a EMT950 costed over £40,000.-
Wow, that would be over £172,800.- in todays money.

It must be an iconic piece of equipment.

Hans

Seems a bit too high, although different configuration were possible, but in 1981 the distributor Gotham listed the EMT 950 for £ 2,618, add if needed £ 143 for the EMT 929 arm and a whopping £ 127 for a stereo cartridge, the TSD 15.

The isolation frame available surely wasn't included and additional electronics could be added.

Perfect description of Elmore. He was my high school chemistry teacher

In 1967 my high school chemistry teacher was one of my two favorites and I asked him to write one of my college recommendations. When I asked him we talked and he told me his son was on the east coast and that I should get into semiconductors like he did (The Graduate?). It turns out his son was a fab engineer at the small start up that ADI purchased to get into IC's. I didn't find this out until years later when he called apps and asked for help with one of my circuits. Seeing he was local I drove over in person and when he told me his name I had to ask and yes my teacher was his father.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mine was the best teacher I ever had. After his passing they created a
scholarship in his name.

Once a year he did a demonstration filling a small weather balloon with acetylene
and oxygen, and then ignited it with 1,000,000 volts from a Tesla coil connected
through a ring of 30 students holding hands.

"You are going to experience a million volts!" he would say before the last
hands were connected.

And of course he had opened the windows....

No, it's been there all along :)
s165RGL021.jpg

A battery version would be nice.

This is the link where I found the £40,000.-.
EMT 950 ex-BBC Professional Turntable FOR SALE
But may be they meant that amount in todays value ?

Hans

Could be, so a de-inflated number would be around £ 12.000,- , still much higher than the original price tag, but the BBC version was a very customized heavy weight version (afaik) with additional features so it seems more reasonable.
Nice approach anyway. :)

No, it's been there all along :)

A battery version would be nice.

My first record player when I was maybe 9 or 10 was a tube Emerson just like this one though I remember mine being a lighter green color:
Portable_record_player%2C_1965%2C_Emerson_-_Museum_of_Science_and_Industry_%28Chicago%29_-_DSC06675.JPG

As I had just started to learn about electronics I knew just enough to be dangerous. I tapped into the speaker line and installed a headphone jack and then I could use it after I was supposed to be sleeping...Amazing! Take that Mom and Dad! My headphones were 4" PM speakers scavenged from old radios stuffed into "It Can't Be Butter" aluminum butter cups and the head strap was a sock. You laugh, but these babies had some bass! More importantly to this story, apparently one of them had one of the speaker terminals grounded to it's frame...

What I didn't really grok at the time was the unit had no isolation transformer, series filament tubes and a hot chassis. One winter day I happened to be wearing the headphones and jumped up on a hot-water radiator to warm up...and I got the shock of a lifetime!

Yes, you are all correct: that IS what must have happened to me...lolol

Cheers!
Howie