The Black Hole......

>When you would go back to those times, you would bore yourself to death.
>No Internet, no iPhone and not even a DIYAudio forum.

>Hans

With boredom being the cheif motivator for actually doing something. When the TV has 3 channels vs 300, you were kinda forced to look elsewhere more often...

Such a double edged sword as it were.

I have lots of rose-tinted childhood memories of coming home from my summer job mowing lawns around the neighborhood, stretching out on the floor between the speakers of the Zenith Console Stereo in the living room, and listening to Yes, or Elton John, or any number of other classics.

Even decades later, when the weather gets warm and the scent of fresh-cut grass fills the air, I find myself listening to Fragile or Tumbleweed Connection. But do I pine for the dulcet tones of that '70s appliance-store audio technology? Hell no. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

>Hans

With boredom being the cheif motivator for actually doing something. When the TV has 3 channels vs 300, you were kinda forced to look elsewhere more often...

So True!

I would hazard a supposition that most OFs (Old Farts) in this group got their start in electronics as a hobbyist in lieu of staring at a cell phone as it seems most young uns do these days....I couldn't wait for school (or track/xcountry) to end so I could go home to my basement shop and either work on some circuit, dig into surplus gear or do ham radio...until my Mom called me for dinner, sometimes by stamping on the floor above the shop.

I don't know if I cold have resisted the attractive nuisance of the Internet at that age...

Cheers!
Howie

When you would go back to those times, you would bore yourself to death.
No Internet, no iPhone and not even a DIYAudio forum.
:D :D

Hans
You're wrong, in those days there was rock music, low prices, all-accessibility, and now there are only iPhones, rap and now the coronavirus.

>Hans

And you, too, had only three channels on TV like in the USSR?:D:D:D
Internet was early 70's depending on where you were. It was the world wide web that made it take off.
Anyone else here ever use "Finger?"
We did use to have this amusing and informative item known as "books." I think to many they may only be a relic.
I remember that everything was in the library, next to the house. The fiction of Stanislav Lem and the Sturugatsky Brothers was incomparable. Oh, by the way, now in this place where there was a library, or a wine or grocery store.

Last edited:
I would love to watch any film based on any book by Stanislav Lem. But I haven't found it yet.
The Inhabited Island of the Strugatsky Brothers is a very good book and a good film very close to the original.
Besides Solaris, both films by Andrei Tarkovsky and Steven Soderbergh are both excellent.

Last edited:
8 Science Fiction Films Adapted from Lem | Article | Culture.pl

Andrei Tarkowski's Solaris is of course one of my favorites. The Hollywood remake from 2002 was not my kind of thing, though.

Another one I liked is Inquest of Pilot Pirx (Poland/USSR 1979): Дознание пилота Пиркса (Таллинфильм, 1978 г.)

Finally, I saw Der schweigende Stern (The Silent Star) a DEFA (GdR) movie from 1959 which is a bit bland and propaganda-loaded, based on Planet of Death. Still nice within the context of its time and age.

I would love to watch any film based on any book by Stanislav Lem. But I haven't found it yet.
The Inhabited Island of the Strugatsky Brothers is a very good book and a good film very close to the original.
Besides Solaris, both films by Andrei Tarkovsky and Steven Soderbergh are both excellent.

Stalker, by the same A. Tarkovsky, loosely based on Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky Brothers. A masterpiece, and likely the most hated Tarkovsky film, by the USSR censorship.