The Black Hole......

Stalker, by the same A. Tarkovsky, loosely based on Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky Brothers. A masterpiece, and likely the most hated Tarkovsky film, by the USSR censorship.
The movie "Stalker" is actually very boring. And the movie is not like a book, the book is very cool, like the book of an inhabited island is also very good. But the film "Inhabited Island" is practically a copy of the plot, director Fyodor Bondarchuk tried very hard and even starred in this film in one of the main roles himself. http://www.massaraksh.com/wp-content/2008/12/prokuror_b.jpg

Last edited:
So True!

I would hazard a supposition that most OFs (Old Farts) in this group got their start in electronics as a hobbyist in lieu of staring at a cell phone as it seems most young uns do these days....I couldn't wait for school (or track/xcountry) to end so I could go home to my basement shop and either work on some circuit, dig into surplus gear or do ham radio...until my Mom called me for dinner, sometimes by stamping on the floor above the shop.

I don't know if I cold have resisted the attractive nuisance of the Internet at that age...

Cheers!
Howie

I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to. I think there needs to be a certain level of boredom for one to find their own answer to. My father provided the pile of junk, the next door neighbor with his basement TV repair shop accommodated my electronic curiosity - glowing tubes on an Eico tester, with Holiday pipe tobacco as the background smell. If I had easy access to limitless screen based entertainment...

I can still hear my mom screaming "Get outside or I'm going to take that TV an smash all the tubes!" She said that when we didnt even have color yet!

And to think one of the schemes for making an iPhone less attractive is to make it B&W! Not_ Gonna_Work.

And you, too, had only three channels on TV like in the USSR?:D:D:D

Yes - and we made explicit effort for a 4th! The "public TV" station was on something called UHF. My father brought home a converter box, which had a single tube in it. He fabricated what looked like metal Bow Ties out of scrap, suitably mounted and we connected it all up using the 300 ohm wire. Nothing. Then my father bought a new tube for it. Nothing. We never did get it to work.

In the late 60's, we got a color set which had the UHF tuner integrated. My father also setup a roof mounted antenna with a motorized rotor to point it in the best direction.

Some years later I disconnected both coils the deflection yoke on the old 21" B&W and managed to connect it to a speaker level signal, which made interesting Lissajous patterns - particularly on the bass. (My friends were like "Wow, man!") You have to be pretty bored to bother to do that!

Once, we actually set this thing up on the bass players rig at a paid gig in a barroom - to a few oohs and ahhs from the crowd. The horizontal oscillator was just screaming due to the load being removed - and it bled through everything. After a few minutes, they made us turn it off. I never did fix that - the beam was nice 'n bright though!

Last edited:
HELLO....HELLO...hello...hello..is anybody in here?

Mark (and others with experience with Cirrus DACs,) this month's Silicon Chip mag has an interesting Audio Interface project, and seeing that there is no development continuing with the QA400, I thought building it may be a good pastime. It is based on the Cirrus Logic CS5381 192k ADC & CS4398 192k DAC chips, and the specs look good enough for what I consider relevant. <(0.001 THD+N).

I am not planning on using this as a recording or playback interface, just for testing using ASIO drivers with other software, something the QA400 will not do.

I appreciate any comments regarding these chips.

Cheers,
Howie

Speaking of listening in monaural, I was tuning across the AM band recently (3rd attempt at audio based mole eradication project) landing on KBRD AM 680. "This sounds annoying enough". After day, "They're playing some pretty fun stuff!". Anyway, thought I'd share here - KBRD Radio AM 680 - America's musical museum playing music of the 1st half of the 20th century

"Whether you like piano rolls, pre-1920 cylinders, 78s from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s or early 45s and mono LPs, this is your station. Broadcasting on AM 680 with the full audio spectrum. On the internet we stream in the original monaural not wasting bandwidth. Better than CD quality."

I'd like to stream them through my rPi player. Digging out their stream URL I get something like http://205.134.192.90:680. Works when I plug it into the LMS "Tune In" URL.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
HELLO....HELLO...hello...hello..is anybody in here?

Mark (and others with experience with Cirrus DACs,) this month's Silicon Chip mag has an interesting Audio Interface project, and seeing that there is no development continuing with the QA400, I thought building it may be a good pastime. It is based on the Cirrus Logic CS5381 192k ADC & CS4398 192k DAC chips, and the specs look good enough for what I consider relevant. <(0.001 THD+N).

I am not planning on using this as a recording or playback interface, just for testing using ASIO drivers with other software, something the QA400 will not do.

I appreciate any comments regarding these chips.

Cheers,
Howie

Prismsound use both these chips in (some of) their ADDA interfaces.
They may even use them in their Dscope test set hware but I can't confirm
this.

I definitely recall a Prism ADDA interface loop through FFT plot that acheived
significantly better than data sheet distortion performance. I can't recall
where but it caught my attention... thinking I wonder if that's real.

TCD

Here is a nice recipe how to make a really good cable.Funniest snake oil theoriesHans
There is no difference either. Even there, even here. You don’t even understand why one technique is very responsive to different audio cables, while the other always sounds good with any. I don't understand it either, but at least I know about it, unlike you, who just keep repeating about snake oil ...

Last edited:
@ Gunfu,
The problem with your sort of people is that they easily feel attacked and then start accusing others based on wild assumptions.
I found the link very funny and let me tell you that I definitely hear differences between cables, but I don’t try to convince anyone with my personal subjective experience.

Hans