The Black Hole......

Remoteness

OK, long few days working with UNC-IT to register MACs, free up ports, define NAT, configuring the web app and installing importer at the studio just hours before they lock the doors for a month at least...and it works!! So the stream and FM transmitter get their audio via the cloud app through the internet at 320 KB/S 48 KHz MP3 encoded to a Barix Exstreamer, through a Henry Matchbox and balanced +4 dBm into the PR&E console, then out the stream and on the FM band...

I uploaded some 96K 24-bit FLACs and they sounded pretty close on the 320 K stream and FM after all that transcoding and bit-tossing...

WXYC is now operating fully remote, and DJs can log into the cloud app and do live air shifts...from their homes. The transmitter remote control has long been a webpage, so they can log power readings from home per normal.

When no DJ is available the cloud app goes into AutoDJ mode and randomly shuffles between an increasing number of tracks loaded into it...I've uploaded 300+ myself...

I greatly prefer live radio from the studio, but in these stressful times with the campus, and now all of NC on lock-down, you do what you have to to keep people entertained and informed.

Jeesh it's been a long couple of days and I'm beat, I hope everyone is staying healthy! GN all,
Howie

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Howie my congratulations for:
- Catering for the community
- The sound quality that comes out of all this digital torture (I think you shatter the fallacies of purists)
- For not participating in the loudness war.

Now go and get some rest. Let the 'cloud' do it's job.

:up:

George

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, long few days working with UNC-IT to register MACs, free up ports, define NAT, configuring the web app and installing importer at the studio just hours before they lock the doors for a month at least...and it works!! So the stream and FM transmitter get their audio via the cloud app through the internet at 320 KB/S 48 KHz MP3 encoded to a Barix Exstreamer, through a Henry Matchbox and balanced +4 dBm into the PR&E console, then out the stream and on the FM band...

I uploaded some 96K 24-bit FLACs and they sounded pretty close on the 320 K stream and FM after all that transcoding and bit-tossing...

WXYC is now operating fully remote, and DJs can log into the cloud app and do live air shifts...from their homes. The transmitter remote control has long been a webpage, so they can log power readings from home per normal.

When no DJ is available the cloud app goes into AutoDJ mode and randomly shuffles between an increasing number of tracks loaded into it...I've uploaded 300+ myself...

I greatly prefer live radio from the studio, but in these stressful times with the campus, and now all of NC on lock-down, you do what you have to to keep people entertained and informed.

Jeesh it's been a long couple of days and I'm beat, I hope everyone is staying healthy! GN all,
Howie

Howie my congratulations for:
- Catering for the community
- The sound quality that comes out of all this digital torture (I think you shatter the fallacies of purists)
- For not participating in the loudness war.

Now go and get some rest. Let the 'cloud' do it's job.

George

Thanks for the kind words, guys. This COVID/shelter-in-place situation has brought a simmering thought to a boil:

All of us here are looking to achieve the best audio reproduction we can manage. In my life I have been called a nerd, audiophile, purist, PITA, and other sometimes not so kind terms.

I have sometimes focused on pursuit of audio quality over the pursuit of good music, but having radio stations turn off recently has reminded me that without music new to us we are stuck listening to the thing we already know...over and over. I may be weird, but as I get older I find I am impatient listening to music I already know over and over...

From this perspective, I like to make every effort to retain any initial fidelity, but then just relax and listen. Exercises like this week's radio fun shows me that as long as there is not a glaring shortfall in the fidelity, I can listen and enjoy. Would I like everything to be 96/24 and freshly mastered...sure. Will that ever be the case? Never. Will I continue to audition and upgrade audio equipment...you can bet on it, as long as my or the radio station's budget holds out!

Open mind = possibility of new thoughts.
Howie

Joined 2014
Paid Member
From this perspective, I like to make every effort to retain any initial fidelity, but then just relax and listen. Exercises like this week's radio fun shows me that as long as there is not a glaring shortfall in the fidelity, I can listen and enjoy. Would I like everything to be 96/24 and freshly mastered...sure. Will that ever be the case? Never. Will I continue to audition and upgrade audio equipment...you can bet on it, as long as my or the radio station's budget holds out!

Open mind = possibility of new thoughts.
Howie
+lots

Always good to remember its the music that matters. In the mornings before going to work I always have BBC radio 3 on. 320kb/s stream. Good enough for the kitchen and there is always something played I have never heard before. On saturday mornings there can be some real gems. They introduced me to Conlon Nancarrow who produced some seriously nutty stuff for player piano amongst others.