The Best Sounding DUAL opamps

Hahah, I'm sure you don't know much apart from the "good old NE5534/NE5532". So much for all opamps sounding like opamps. ;)

I know quite a few op-amps ;)

Have been working in audio R&D some years!

I know that op-amps sounds different. But still, you always know the sound of an op-amp.
I know to many people, who has been upgrading their gear with new op-amps, and been happy about... Just until they tried to put back the NE5532 in :D

And yes, I know it hasn't got the best specs in the world. But it has a very raw sonic performance No extra glance, extra softness and so on. What you put in, you will get out.

But if you realy do search the ultimate sonic performance, you should cinsider a discrete design, instead of the easy op-amp solution.

I know quite a few op-amps ;)

Have been working in audio R&D some years!

I know that op-amps sounds different. But still, you always know the sound of an op-amp.
I know to many people, who has been upgrading their gear with new op-amps, and been happy about... Just until they tried to put back the NE5532 in :D

And yes, I know it hasn't got the best specs in the world. But it has a very raw sonic performance No extra glance, extra softness and so on. What you put in, you will get out.

But if you realy do search the ultimate sonic performance, you should cinsider a discrete design, instead of the easy op-amp solution.

I'm looking for a high standard at a low price. ;)

That said, have you tried the last generation of audio opamps at all? :D

I'm looking for a high standard at a low price. ;)

That said, have you tried the last generation of audio opamps at all? :D

Actually... Yes I have. National Semi, Analog Devices, TI (Burr-Brown) and so on.
Best sonic result yet, is NE5532/NE5534. Second place must be MC33078.
I do understand why people tend to use new ultra high spec op-amps. In theory it would be better.
But thoose who actually do perform "blind test", will NOT pick these "racing op-amps".

You should try forgetting about the datasheet, and use your ears :eek:

Then try a well designed fully discrete design, and a whole new world will open!

Op-amps is a easy and fail safe solution for Low End applications.

Actually... Yes I have. National Semi, Analog Devices, TI (Burr-Brown) and so on.
Best sonic result yet, is NE5532/NE5534. Second place must be MC33078.
I do understand why people tend to use new ultra high spec op-amps. In theory it would be better.
But thoose who actually do perform "blind test", will NOT pick these "racing op-amps".

You should try forgetting about the datasheet, and use your ears :eek:

Then try a well designed fully discrete design, and a whole new world will open!

Op-amps is a easy and fail safe solution for Low End applications.
Thare are many very high end audio products that use them...and not even the very best. Being an extremist doesn't make you more enlightened, you know. ;)

That said...tried, for instance, the OPA1611 ? Please :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There are no such thing, as a "good sounding op-amp".
Considering most of what you listen too has been through many such devices that's a strange comment

All op-amps sound like an op-amp. Yes, they do have different sonic performance, but you will ALWAYS know it as an op-amp.
Yes they do sound different, but read on to perhaps understand "why"...

People who have the guts to do real "blind tests", normally will point out NE5532 as the best
Interesting comment, do you have results of tests to back that up. A lot of folk encounter the NE5532 and 5534 in D/A convertors in the I/V conversion stage of CD players for example, and I am not convinced it is the best choice here. For normal "gain block" applications I am less sure, and have to say I have had very good results from the 5532

, even though in theory it's not nearly the best. But then again.... In theory op-amps are perfect due to the nice specifications, but real life they aren't that good for audio.

Opamps are far from perfect, it's folk assuming they are and having total disregard for the way they are used and then complaining of poor results.
As Andrea knows, I keep asserting that a big problem with opamps is that they aren't always used correctly in a given application

opa1611 is good.
how about the sound of opa1612?
I don't have it yet, it is cheaper than using 2 opa1611.
I think it must be almost as good.

I compared the OPA2211 and the OPA211 (both "A", meaning not the higher grade of the single OPA211), and they sounded nearly identical. I think it's much preferable to use an OPA1612, than to use two OPA211AID. Don't know the OPA211ID, which I haven't tried even though I have them.

Originally Posted by Hurtig
There are no such thing, as a "good sounding op-amp".
Considering most of what you listen too has been through many such devices that's a strange comment

All op-amps sound like an op-amp. Yes, they do have different sonic performance, but you will ALWAYS know it as an op-amp.
Yes they do sound different, but read on to perhaps understand "why"...

People who have the guts to do real "blind tests", normally will point out NE5532 as the best
Interesting comment, do you have results of tests to back that up. A lot of folk encounter the NE5532 and 5534 in D/A convertors in the I/V conversion stage of CD players for example, and I am not convinced it is the best choice here. For normal "gain block" applications I am less sure, and have to say I have had very good results from the 5532

, even though in theory it's not nearly the best. But then again.... In theory op-amps are perfect due to the nice specifications, but real life they aren't that good for audio.

Opamps are far from perfect, it's folk assuming they are and having total disregard for the way they are used and then complaining of poor results.
As Andrea knows, I keep asserting that a big problem with opamps is that they aren't always used correctly in a given application

I can assure you, that there are NO op-amps in the signal path in my audio gear! Also, there is ZERO feedback!
Everything is based on discrete circuits with no negative feedback.

I have been listening a lot to different op-amps, and made a few "blind tests". These have ALL ended up, with the "blind listener" pointing out NE5534/NE5532 as the best. But when you show the same people the datasheets, the don't like these 2 op-amps. So I guess it's a matter of choosing from sonic performance by listening test or choosing from datasheet specifications :D

When we have made listening tests with our discrete analog stage, every single listener has picked this over any of the op-amps we have tried (And we did try quite a few).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can assure you, that there are NO op-amps in the signal path in my audio gear!
I meant what you are listening to will have been through many opamps

Also, there is ZERO feedback!
How would you set the gain and operating point of a device without using feedback ?

I have been listening a lot to different op-amps, and made a few "blind tests". These have ALL ended up, with the "blind listener" pointing out NE5534/NE5532 as the best. But when you show the same people the datasheets, the don't like these 2 op-amps. So I guess it's a matter of choosing from sonic performance by listening test or choosing from datasheet specifications :D

When we have made listening tests with our discrete analog stage, every single listener has picked this over any of the op-amps we have tried (And we did try quite a few).
Can't really comment on the 5532 vs your discrete as all the details are unknown.

Shall we just agree to disagree then :)

I can assure you, that there are NO op-amps in the signal path in my audio gear! Also, there is ZERO feedback!

hahahahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahahhaiaiiaahhhaahhahha :dead:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What opamp are we listening to today Andrea ?

It would be really interesting, for you to have a test circuit (all of your choice) and for you to be sent a load of devices, all with the type numbers sanded off and just numbered perhaps with dots etc and see what you came up with results wise :)

If my Micromega wasn't so difficult to unsolder the devices on (plated through vias, you have to cut the legs and clear each hole with steel wire) I would try for curiosity some of the later devices. Having said that though... everytime I listen (really listen) I know how "right" it sounds. It's 16 years old now lol.

Funny thing about thoose "Op-Amp-Tweaking" entusiasts... They always search the datasheets for the best op-amp. Then they swap, and tell you that the new one is SO much better! The day after, they will start looking for a new one :confused:

And every time they change, they will tell you how much better it sounds... 10 yearsand a hundred op-amps later, many of them will pick the good old NE5534 in a blind test, as the best sonic performer :D Yeap... I did that test with a friend of mine a couple of years ago.

Why don't you put some effort into building a good discrete/non-feedback analog stage?? The op-amp approach is the easy and fail safe way towards a low end solution. Discrete design is the hard way, but it can take you to real high end. Op-amps will not, even at -140dB THD!