The Best Sounding DUAL opamps

Hi there,
for line level purpose please give the AD8599 a go.
It's very neutral, low distortion and has 'an engaging sound stage with very good ambience definition'. Bass is solid without the Nationals chips wobble...
Very top end could have a tad less distortion, but as an overall line level performer very difficult to beat and a definite superior to the good old NE5532AP/N. Still very good, but a tad more resolution would be appreciated these days with higher quality signal source material.
Kind regards
a1greatdane

after many test , THS4032 and AD826 both for input buffer or output stage

The THS4032 is nice at the first impression, but has poor tonal fidelity, and also it had some kind of issue with coherence over the spectrum, IIRC.

The AD826 isn't bad, but it lacked transparency and an effortless sound in my tests. Try the LT1358... to me it outperformed the AD826 in detail, ambience, and tonal richness, very apparently.

for line level purpose please give the AD8599 a go.
It's very neutral, low distortion and has 'an engaging sound stage with very good ambience definition'. Bass is solid without the Nationals chips wobble...
Very top end could have a tad less distortion, but as an overall line level performer very difficult to beat and a definite superior to the good old NE5532AP/N.
That sounds good. From your description, I would say that the LME49723 and the AD8599 could be brothers separated at birth :) but I guess they're not :p

Only (again based on your description) the bass could be somehow different, if the AD8599 resembles the AD797 in any way. At any rate, bass dynamics & fullness with the LME49723 were more convincing than with the LM4562/LME49720 in my testing.

I'd like to try the AD8599 just to see if it challenges the LME49723 as my favorite dual. I'd also like to try the LME49725. Someone needs to hear these three and let us know what they think... because I doubt I'll manage to try AD8599 and LME49725 too soon.

Last edited:
WOW, I checked the LME49723's open loop gain, to compare it to the LM4562's...

Well the former has it of 105 dB, the latter of 140 ! 35 dB more feedback for unity gain applications...

I'm not anymore surprised that the LME49723 is a better unity-gain DAC buffer than the 4562/49720; at least comparing apples to apples, i.e. plastic package to plastic package..

Dear mudihan,
just re read Your 1st post and shame on me for missing the point, that You haven't got space for an adaptor - bit of 'a bummer', since that would exclude the AD8599, which is only available in SOIC.
Would an adaptor on tall legs potentially solve your space issues?
Otherwise I like to second other reply's on this thread, in their recommendations of the the OPA2132. This also on the background of Your likeness for OPA627/637. I personally use this myself to great delight, in an active line level speaker x-over. The commonalities for the mentioned OPA chips is their Fet LTP (Long Tailored Pair)/differential input stages.
Going bipolar input stage with say NE's or AD8599, would depend on Your application and surrounding circuit as with regards to optimized performance, not to mention that little nebulous detail, as to what it might sound like.
I would be happy to assist further, if it is wished for.:cool:

All the best:cheers:
a1greatdane
CSW - Chilli Sound Works
London N4, UK

Dear mudihan,
just re read Your 1st post and shame on me for missing the point, that You haven't got space for an adaptor - bit of 'a bummer', since that would exclude the AD8599, which is only available in SOIC.
Would an adaptor on tall legs potentially solve your space issues?
Otherwise I like to second other reply's on this thread, in their recommendations of the the OPA2132. This also on the background of Your likeness for OPA627/637. I personally use this myself to great delight, in an active line level speaker x-over. The commonalities for the mentioned OPA chips is their Fet LTP (Long Tailored Pair)/differential input stages.
Going bipolar input stage with say NE's or AD8599, would depend on Your application and surrounding circuit as with regards to optimized performance, not to mention that little nebulous detail, as to what it might sound like.
I would be happy to assist further, if it is wished for.:cool:

a1greatdane
CSW - Chilli Sound Works
London N4, UK

The OPA2132 is a good opamp. But it is, in my opinion, just shy of 627/827's greatness.

By the way, I just compared 627 with 827 carefully in the output stage of a CD player. I found that 827 to be more organic sounding while 627 still has that un-matched cleanness.

Hi all,
could we possibly agree to all the mentioned chips being competent performers?
I think to me, it then comes down to personal preferences.
I to, absolutely adore the OPA 627 for it's smooth very, very detailed mid to upper register, which percepted here, happens to present particularly voices with a most desired naturalness. It is however a bit 'tube like' - coloured is probably a little to strong word, but I can accept and live with that in my chosen applications, since the rest is just SO'ehh convincing?:cool:
True enough the OPA is not quite in the same league and that happily goes together with the pricing structure and quite importantly - it's available as dual and quad's to...
Now if we could only have one of the manufactures to do a 'modern' take of a NE5532 with a set of trimmed fet's in the LTP 1st stage - then there would most probably be a very serious 'new kid on the block'...

a1greatdane

PS: There might be a Linear Technology chip, which has fet's in and is a double?
There's another thread covering the available chips from LT in quite some extensive very personal detail which might be worth consulting in this respect.

Hi all,
could we possibly agree to all the mentioned chips being competent performers?
I think to me, it then comes down to personal preferences.
I to, absolutely adore the OPA 627 for it's smooth very, very detailed mid to upper register, which percepted here, happens to present particularly voices with a most desired naturalness. It is however a bit 'tube like' - coloured is probably a little to strong word, but I can accept and live with that in my chosen applications, since the rest is just SO'ehh convincing?:cool:
True enough the OPA is not quite in the same league and that happily goes together with the pricing structure and quite importantly - it's available as dual and quad's to...
Now if we could only have one of the manufactures to do a 'modern' take of a NE5532 with a set of trimmed fet's in the LTP 1st stage - then there would most probably be a very serious 'new kid on the block'...

a1greatdane

PS: There might be a Linear Technology chip, which has fet's in and is a double?
There's another thread covering the available chips from LT in quite some extensive very personal detail which might be worth consulting in this respect.
I find the OPA627BP to have a 'subtly' dryish and whiteish sounding midrange to treble. That's why I dislike it. The OPA132UA doesn't suffer from these unmusical (for my ears) characterizations, and remains pretty transparent (definitely it's a more transparent opamp than the boomier and more confused OPA2132P).

Dear Andrea,
your applications is after a DAC converter as balancer/buffer and I/V stage?
Chips react differently in different circuits with different nominal levels and so forth.
Please take this into account, before You start exclaiming non corroborated statements.
Kind regards
a1greatdane
Mine (for the OPA627BP) were as a DAC summer/buffer (not I/V) powered with +/-15V, and as a direct headphone driver powered with 24V. I got very similar results in both of them, just as I do with all opamps with enough output current for the latter application.

Generally, I prefer an opamp like the AD845KN to the OPA627. Surely there may be exceptions..

Last edited:
OPA2107 is my favourite dual, provided you can give it at least 9V rails. It's not very happy below that.

Why? I'm not sure. I don't really buy into the audibility of opamps, but if you pressed me to it, I'd say that the bass is better defined than OPA2132.
You must try the OPA132UA, I guess. You will get a better controlled bass, better ambience, and a better resolution than with the OPA2132 (BTW I'm referring to the better "P" grade of the OPA2132).

I find that very unlikely - OPA132UA is the same as 2132P, just packaged as a single opamp in SOIC rather than a dual in DIP.

The only paramater I would expect to be improved would be stereo crosstalk.

I was advised on Audio Asylum to try the OPA132UA, as it would've been a revised version of the original OPA2132. I was told to try the "UA" specifically.

It has proven (most probably) true. :) Note that the OPA132PA or P are marked "obsolete".

That aside, it's been found that all the BB singles sound better than their dual counterparts: OPA228 better than 2228, OPA211 better than 2211, OPA134 better than 2134, and so on.

Last edited:
Dear Andrea,
what I think to ascertain is, that You have come across an application less suitable for the OPA627. There is IMHO absolutely nothing wrong with this chip for other applications, where it certain does not behave in the fashion You are trying to describe.
It does not surprise me, since chips with j-fet LTP inputs are (again IMHO) better applicated in other circuit's than the by You described one. Bipolar LTP input chips, again 'as a rule of at least my thumb', is better used here, just as you have come to like the LT1028 as an example.
regards
a1greatdane