The best bass ever heard (and possibly affordable)

High pass filter! If we make statement that excursion defines quality of bass here is advice for everyone: use high pass filter because without one the woofer could have huge excursion for very low frequencies without audible output, which according to the statement equals poor bass quality.

Active systems, tube amps with output transformers, perhaps some hifi amplifiers or closed enclosures could have some high pass factored in to reduce unnecessary excursion.

How about yours, is your system high passed to prevent bad bass? If you have ported enclosure passive speaker with class-D amp from box store its high possibility there is no high pass filter and you are enjoying bad bass! :)
The thing about high pass filters is they do add group delay. Depending on how it's implemented, the additional delay can be audible. If you use DSP and can implement a low cut filter of varying Q and frequency, I'd experiment with it to see if that filter doesn't bring a harshness along with it to the lower mid bass frequencies.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
out of direct signal path, so don't have to be hugely $.
Both series and parallel components are in the signal path.

Here both the capacitor and the inductor share both a current and a Voltage relationship with the driver.

h7.png

Reactions: 1 users
As Audiofrenzy says, i have to adding enough woofers to meet my high listening SPL levels.
And that´s why i end up with 6 of the Peerlees xxls 830847, 12 inch 12,5 xmax woofers ported, 4 of them was not enough in my room.
I get that, but specifying an excursion is like specifying a frequency and amplitude, ie playing sine waves. Ever tried to reach a predetermined excursion with a music source?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hmmm. 20 to 25Hz HPF have been on almost every amplifier or EXO unit I have ever owned and I do consider them part of the Hi-Fi package. Perhaps not in HT where an 8 to 12 Hz pass might be better.
Obviously everybody differs in the opinion on these but I use them all the time.

The thing about high pass filters is they do add group delay. Depending on how it's implemented, the additional delay can be audible. If you use DSP and can implement a low cut filter of varying Q and frequency, I'd experiment with it to see if that filter doesn't bring a harshness along with it to the lower mid bass frequencies.
Thats true, group delay increases some when high pass slope is steepened. Closed box system would have 12db/octave and could well be without additional high pass filter. A reflex system has 24db/octave and possibly additional high pass filter. OB would be 6db/octave and highpass filter.

Tried simulation on my mainspeaker with bass reflex box and 24db/oct highpass around 30Hz increases group delay at 100Hz from 2ms to 3ms, and at 200Hz from 1ms to about 1.5ms, or so. All these are below audiblity tresholds one can find online. I'm not sure if I can hear difference, but its a big system so I think its irrelevant for the playback levels I listen if high pass is engaged or not so not stressed about it.

So its application dependent again. If its small speaker amids home party farting out it would probably sound better to apply high pass filter even if group delay was increased.

If high pass filter is something one does not want to use in their hifi system just make enough cone area so that excursion stays small enough, no farting at home party :) To be safe, use closed boxes for the lowest bandwidth "way".

Reactions: 2 users
High pass filter! If we make statement that excursion defines quality of bass here is advice for everyone: use high pass filter because without one the woofer could have huge excursion for very low frequencies without audible output, which according to the statement equals poor bass quality.

Active systems, tube amps with output transformers, perhaps some hifi amplifiers or closed enclosures could have some high pass factored in to reduce unnecessary excursion.

How about yours, is your system high passed to prevent bad bass? If you have ported enclosure passive speaker with class-D amp from box store its high possibility there is no high pass filter and you are enjoying bad bass! :)
Yes. I always DSP high pass IB OB subbass. It is not only for sound Q, but for protecting the drivers too.

Last edited:
I get that, but specifying an excursion is like specifying a frequency and amplitude, ie playing sine waves. Ever tried to reach a predetermined excursion with a music source?

I mostly go by how I experience the bass and "my feeling."...Have a few songs that I know very well that work as a test. and the important thing is that the cone is never real close to "hit the bottom" & that there is enough headroom at my listening levels.

Especially Whiskeynights are dangerous to the stereo if you don´t have "enough headroom" I have experienced ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
How low folks like their bass amplitude for best bass ? I mean half power area ? -F3, - F6 , -F9 ?

Could be interesting to make a low table in front of the living room seats with a 15 or a 18" with the radiating vents on the sides all around this table, so unit firering towrds the floor omni ? Cut off 60 hz to near OB sattelite for neigbhoors peace of mind .... Ideally mid treble OB behind the Sofa or the main listenning seat for non obstrutive WAF ?
Living room low table are also ideal for aperiodic load.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The thing is that such filters are switchable, if you don't want to use them you have that option but turntable rumble is a real thing and needs to be taken into account if you own and use vinyl and to prevent over excursion of ported boxes at high power.
TBH tho; I have very little idea of how a 25Hz Butterworth HPF is going to work with a box tuned to 22Hz until I try it

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
The best bass I've ever heard measures like this in the main listening position (with low-pass filter @ 150 Hz).
Its my own DBA with a whole lot of EQ on the rear array.

dba-fr.jpg

And its waterfall response... showing an almost total freedom from room resonances.

dba-wf.jpg

There is no low-frequency absorption in this room...

Reactions: 11 users
The best bass I've ever heard measures like this in the main listening position (with low-pass filter @ 150 Hz).

View attachment 1119330

And its waterfall response... showing an almost total freedom from room resonances.

View attachment 1119331

Wow, Nice to see you here again.

Reactions: 1 users

View attachment 1119330

View attachment 1119331

its been ages!
awesome looking measurements!
any quick pics of your DBA?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Thanks! It’s good to be back. I’ve been playing with DBA and Magnepan since the last time I was active here.
My current setup is a 5.1.4 system with five active Magnepan 3.7/3.6, four 1.6 as Atmos speakers, and the DBA. I’m using 24 Seas L26ROY woofers in small closed boxes. The room looks kinda crazy, but it’s usually covered up with curtains.

Front end including three Magnepans.

1B8896C4-CF71-4C02-9FEA-13647D86F63B.jpeg

Rear.
Two of the Magnepans on the picture are no longer there. This is taken when I had a 7.1.4 setup.

9F349FD2-0B9A-4688-A320-E0FBE4C71504.jpeg

With the clothes on …

0405ED41-1FE4-461A-A365-ED4A623DB482.jpeg

Reactions: 17 users