The BA-3 as preamp build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Russell -

The heatsinks I used are massive overkill. (I had them on hand...) The transistors just need something on them to move the heat. The ones I linked are fine.

As for cap, use whatever floats your boat. (still, use a nice cap... :) ) My preamp has a pair nice film Audyn, the power amp has 10uF Silmic bypassed with a nice film Rel-cap. A power amp I built with a friend has the Silmic bypassed with a small polycarbonate. Solen, Clarity, Dayton, whatever you have or want to order. If using an Electrolytic and bypass, use an Audio grade. (Nichicon or Elna)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russell -

The heatsinks I used are massive overkill. (I had them on hand...) The transistors just need something on them to move the heat. The ones I linked are fine.

As for cap, use whatever floats your boat. (still, use a nice cap... :) ) My preamp has a pair nice film Audyn, the power amp has 10uF Silmic bypassed with a nice film Rel-cap. A power amp I built with a friend has the Silmic bypassed with a small polycarbonate. Solen, Clarity, Dayton, whatever you have or want to order. If using an Electrolytic and bypass, use an Audio grade. (Nichicon or Elna)

Thanks, I figured yours were overkill...as to the caps, thanks also, I'll dig out my film caps for speaker crossover, 10uf was pretty common, or I will order some.

Thanks again,
Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well my Diyaudio store chassis with 10mm front plate I got for the BA-3 as pre (only one available at the time of order) is presenting a mild problem. Face plate is a bit thick for shafts on my selector, on/off switch and volume pot to go through. Considered extensions, but the 3mm chassis just came available again, so I snagged one. Looks like I have a matching power supply box for the Pearl 2 now at least. (It also has 10mm front panel).

Russellc

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well my Diyaudio store chassis with 10mm front plate I got for the BA-3 as pre (only one available at the time of order) is presenting a mild problem. Face plate is a bit thick for shafts on my selector, on/off switch and volume pot to go through. Considered extensions, but the 3mm chassis just came available again, so I snagged one. Looks like I have a matching power supply box for the Pearl 2 now at least. (It also has 10mm front panel).

Russellc

Could you have a machine shop mill the back side of the faceplate to make your switches work?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Could you have a machine shop mill the back side of the faceplate to make your switches work?

Probably, and the extension kit would to, as well as shortening the wiring. The face plate is thick enough for your idea, but I just ordered the 3mm version. I think they share the same rear panel, I guess I could go ahead and drill it for RCA jacks.

I do need someplace to cut a hole for the IEC unit. I do not want a raggedy drill out job, but a nice neat cutout. What kind of biz provides such a service?

I dont suppose Green Lee has a punch out in this shape? <Forget this, 350-400 dollar range!

Russellc

Last edited: