The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Hi All,

I finished my build of a B3 pre following 6L6's excellent build guide. I used Fairchild mosfets as per the BOM posted because I couldn't find the Toshiba's, and at first I couldn't get the thing to bias up. Then I read Nelsons B3 article and took his advise and changed out P1 & P2 to 1K pots. I used a long 3U galaxy chassis, and things are squeezed in pretty tight because of the size of the PSU. In any event it is singing now. Very quiet, and transparent swapping out my other SS preamp that I was using with my Aleph J was like removing a veil. Verrrry nice preamp. Thanks Nelson.

PJN

Attachments

• image0001.jpg
    image0001.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 1,103
  • image0002.jpg
    image0002.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 1,082
Intermittent problem

I have a strange intermittent problem with my BA3 preamp. It's more than a year since I built my BA3 preamp and has been working wonderfully. Recently I have noticed that when I power on the preamp, only one channel works and the other channel makes a very faint distorted noise. If I power off and power on the pream again couple of times, then both channels work normally. This is happening intermittently and not everytime.

What could be the problem. The power supply is a single power supply and not two power supplies to suspect.

Need help in rebugging this new problem.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Anil

Support our store. Our board is a great choice and the price is competitive. I only used 4 10K uf caps and 4 resistors in my build and it is plenty quiet enough with 103 db speakers. Two 10K uf caps and two .47 ohm resistors per rail. No regulator board, just a common FW power supply.

I'd think you would want to use a regulated supply with the ba3 as a preamp. Especially with 20-30db of gain.

Plus, the universal power supply board is gonna be HUGE for a preamp. Space will probably be an issue.

If you want to support the store buy the super reg board (although you will need rectifiers and caps before it).

Simplest solution is a lm317/337 or 78xx setup.

Bias is 50ma per channel. You need twice that in the shunt so 200ma for both channels.

I see you have an electrolytic and poly cap on the output. You only need the 10uf poly caps. The electrolytics will probably make the sound worse.

Also, you wont need that much heatsink but if you use them make sure they are insulated from the mosfet or make sure they don't touch each other of the chassis.

Looks nice though.