The BA-3 as preamp build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's not going to hurt anything to run it at 32v. Yes, you should uprate and have 35v caps on the board even though they don't see the full voltage in operation, I'm not sure what happen at start-up...

That said, if you are not running a follower output stage, it's complete and utter overkill. You'll never use the voltage swing and be running your Jfets near or at the limits.

another that points

Hi
I have a buffer B1 for a monophonic f5T amp . I'm fine with the combination but I would like some gain in preamplificador, ¿ as would combine the BA-3 with F5T?

I think I'll try . I have a pair of 2sj4 8.2 idss and a pair of 2sk170 of 9.22 idss , can be worth ?.

It is very difficult to find toshiba mosfet . I think I'll try to fairchild . In mouser they sell at a good price . I wondered whether to buy a few and try to match them . Is there any guidance for measuring and match the mosfet ?.

Thank you very much!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi,

Could this be a good solution to use "behind" a passive preamp?

I mean between the DCB1 and a power amp? (Ovation NX)

Looks like it would be! The combination I have lacks gain...... Also I drive two subs on the same output as the NX....

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I have a buffer B1 for a monophonic f5T amp . I'm fine with the combination but I would like some gain in preamplificador, ¿ as would combine the BA-3 with F5T?

I think I'll try . I have a pair of 2sj4 8.2 idss and a pair of 2sk170 of 9.22 idss , can be worth ?.

It is very difficult to find toshiba mosfet . I think I'll try to fairchild . In mouser they sell at a good price . I wondered whether to buy a few and try to match them . Is there any guidance for measuring and match the mosfet ?.

Thank you very much!

You can use those jfets if you use p3 to match the output and harmonics...you will need a scope or software to do this.

The outputs don't need to be matched, but if you want to match them there is a good article on mosfet matching on the pass diy site.

Hi,

Could this be a good solution to use "behind" a passive preamp?

I mean between the DCB1 and a power amp? (Ovation NX)

Looks like it would be! The combination I have lacks gain...... Also I drive two subs on the same output as the NX....

Thanks

You won't need the b1 in front of the ba3. The ba3 will buffer the signal and supply a low output impedence. Just a volume pot in front of the ba3 is all you need.