The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Yes, just lower the MOSFETs' source resistors to 10R and provide adequate heatsinking.
That lowers the degeneration too, but the total effect depends on gm of devices used.
Also, my experience shows that it's worth sourcing the Toshiba's k2013/j313 - the k1058/j162 worked great too.

Last edited:
24 volt?

Good news! GlassWare has a new suitable PSU for this project - the PS-19. This seems to be the replacement for the PS-12 I used in my build.

GlassWare PS-19 Bipolar Power Supply Kit

I'm looking at the PS-19 available output voltages (5,9,12,15,18,24). If I build the BA-3 as a Preamp with a 20 + 20 transformer, would the 24 volt output be the correct PSU?
TIA,
John

Resistor questions

I want to use a quality resistor(s) for the project. At the beginning of this guide, the photos appear to show Vishay Dale resistors installed on the BA-3 board. So for instance, looking at the BOM, a 1K, 1/4 watt resistor, would the Mouser part number 71-RN60D-F-1.0K be a quality choice for audio purposes?

I want to use a quality resistor(s) for the project. At the beginning of this guide, the photos appear to show Vishay Dale resistors installed on the BA-3 board. So for instance, looking at the BOM, a 1K, 1/4 watt resistor, would the Mouser part number 71-RN60D-F-1.0K be a quality choice for audio purposes?

The RN60's may fit on the board. They're quite large.

I used RN55's for all the ones I've built.

I had to download the RN55 datasheet, because i doubted the 1/8th W rating.

These are Mil spec and to meet that spec they are rated as 1/8th W when Ta = 70°C

But go to the Thermal resistance graphs.
1/8W into RN55 gives a temp rise (deltaT) of <20C degrees
1/2W into RN55 gives a deltaT of ~62C degrees.
Add that to Ta=25°C and you get a temperature of ~87°C
This will be well below the temperature of other 500mW and 600mW resistors.

I would suggest that the MiL spec is not a fair comparison.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The RN55 is a Mil-spec resistor, and has a 100% thermal de-rate. It's a 1/4W resistor, but the specs say it's to be used for 1/8W.

The CMF55 (same resistor, different spec sheet) differs only in the "max" watt rating and that the CMF can be built with steel or copper leads, where the RN must be copper.

SO... Use the RN55 if you have them. I do. :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
KevinHeem said:
I think the RN 60 is a tight fit on that board.

Not at all - they fit great!
The bigger brown are the 1/2w case (in this example RN60) and the smaller are the 1/4w case, the CMF55.
IMG_04151.jpg

Jpaul said:
Jim, I have nothing on hand, so if I'm going to order anyway, RN55 or RN60?

Honestly, look at price - RN60 have usually been cheaper at mouser. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one bit. :D

I have 1/2w PRP in mine. I am pretty sure 1/4 RN60's would fit.

RN60's are good. Really, brand or series is not going to make that much difference as long as the temp co is low and the tolerance is low as well. I prefer to use PRPs (fancy red colored) or Dales but sometimes I can't get the values I need to I use ego or whatever.

Hi ammel and thanks, but the RN55 appear to be only 1/8 watt. The BOM specifies 1/4 watt.

Jpaul, the Vishay/Dale wattage ratings have been discussed before and if I remember correctly it has to do with temperature.

NONE of the RN55's I've used for the BA-3 preamp have gone up in smoke or even got remotely warm. R13 is the only resistor that should have a higher wattage rating.

If you're afraid the RN55's won't work, by all means go with the RN60's.;)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have 1/2w PRP in mine. I am pretty sure 1/4 RN60's would fit.

RN60's are good. Really, brand or series is not going to make that much difference as long as the temp co is low and the tolerance is low as well. I prefer to use PRPs (fancy red colored) or Dales but sometimes I can't get the values I need to I use ego or whatever.

Yup, they fit perfectly on my board.

Russellc