THD Total Harmonic Delusion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boris_The_Blade said:
Have you done any IMD tests? I haven't designed much SS gear, so I'm curious the relationship between THD and IMD for a super low THD amp.

Other things I'm curious about the amp:

1) when you did whatever you did to put THD from 0.06% to unmeasurable, what happened to the damping factor of the amp? Someone mentioned this before but I don't recall an answer to it. Sometimes lower DF sounds better with some speakers, so if it was more feedback that was added to reduce THD, the DF probly went up too, which might have more of an effect on sound than a 0.06% to 0.002% THD change.

2) Have you checked to see if the musical peaks become near to amp clipping? (using an o-scope) I'm not sure if i recall correctly but I believe that amplifiers with less feedback respond 'better' to overload situations. I think it has something to do with the front end circuitry not being 'asked' to enter saturation so much. Again if the change you did added more feedback, this may cause a difference in amplifier sound (somebody back me up or correct me on this one if it ain't right)

Just you anticipate me before make the same questions as you.

I have to add only one remark. There is an antagonism between THD and IMD; The question it is that: which of the two distortions is more valuable? According to my books the measurement of IMD it is more valuable because its product there is in the audible spectrum from human ears; the IMD calculation according to SMPTE standards -which give the worst results from other standards such as CCIF- it is executed by applying in the input of DUT a mix of two sinus, 60HZ/1Vpp and 7KHZ/0,25Vpp. The difference between these two fundamental frequencies presented in the output of DUT which expressed as, and only, eiter the 2nd or 3rd order factor harmonics - produced by the fundamental frequencies- amplitude sum divided by the amplitude of the high frequency it is the IMD percentage while the rest harmonics can be omitted because they are outside from the region of measurement (and the region of audible spectrum). In conclusion so the THD as the IMD caused from the nonlinearity of the amplifier. Yet the cheap or free PC analysers offers the measurement of these two distortions. But the TIM? This distortion related with the slew rate (or rise time) mainly and its percentage is dependent from the errors of whole the feedback loop. And it is of most importance as i think me at least, because it represents the audible dynamic characterisics of the amplifier. It has two main poles, the low frequency and the high frequency. Also there are many nested and well hiden poles inside the main endmost frequency poles which are impossible to summarized in a total sum by any expensive instrument exists. There is also an antagonism between the TIM and the THD; by improving the one it worsen the other and vice-versa.
In practice now, i think that these all free PC visual instruments (such RMAA) are useless because they add in the plots the significant amount of the sound card's distortions. Moreover, the parts offered today (semiconductors, resistors, caps etc) are of so big quality in relation with they offered before 5 to 10 years and back, thus only by making a gross mistake in the design or in the implementation of the circuit there is the possibility of unacceptable THD or IMD presentation. So it remains the job of managing the TIM in a such manner to be in equilibrium with the THD and IMD in conjuction with the better as it is possible transient response of the amplifier.
The ways of estimating the TIM, the rise time (or the slew rate if you preffer) was analyzed up to death in many threads in this forum, and i think there is not need to proceed in their description furthermore.

Fotios

Everyone has their opinion, but I feel I can tell a difference with amps that distort less than others.

IMO and experience........

Amps with a stronger output drive sound the best. The bass is stronger, and tighter with less boominess, and the high trebles come out clearer and louder.

On my 350W subwoofer amp, the output drive is overbuilt. Even when driven with a flat signal with no EQ, the amp sounds fairly bassy when playing full range. Even better, the trebles come out strong and clear. Under normal use, I only use it for lows for a sub, but the amp is plenty capable of full range.

Other amps I've owned and built with weaker drive, get muddy bass, and duller trebles. The bass difference is more noticable than the treble, but I can definately tell a difference.

IMO THD DOES Matter, mainly for treble clarity.
in my Sub amp, I changed the preamp quad-opamp from a upc324 to an On-Semi MC33079 and the difference was VERY noticeable! Solid bass, and perfect treble. The MC33079 has 0.002% THD. The difference was like comparing low bitrate to high bitrate Mp3's.

nitrate said:
Once more i find my self tredding along the long path of audio engineering when anougher set of awkard questions are found buzzing about inside my head that demand attention from the masses.

First the question :-

Does vanishingly small amounts of THD in an amplifier GUARANTEE good sound and fine music reproduction?

Explanation :-

I've been developing a classA amplifier for a while and its been on the test bench for far too long now. The problem is i want it to be my best work to date but i'm convincing myself that it dosn't sound that good. I also bought a copy of Selfs 'Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook'. After reading the book cover to cover i decided to apply some of Selfs methods for reducing THD across the entire amplifier design. After doing this on the sim my amp went from approx 0.065% / 0.016 THD 50/1 Watt to 0.002 / unmeasurable ( < 0.000 ).Everything seemed good, no measurable THD on the computer via RMMA ( crap soundcard but it said the previous attempt was not that good lol ), good squares and sines on the scope with no noise, 20v/us rise and fall etc. I am convinced there has been a dramatic improvment just as the sim said there would be. Hence the question above, if an amplifier has very low THD then why does it not sound as good as amplifiers i have thrown together in the past that use voltage regulators as current sources and have relativly high THD's? Am i imagining this? Are there other hidden distortion's / imperfections that can have a large impact on the perception of sound??

First of all: who is in position to guaranteed that a class A amp. it is more remarkable than a class AB to drive a pair of speakers?
Do you want my oppinion? A class A implementation mainly addressed to remove absolutelly the cross distortion and thus to improve the THD. For this purpose it uses large ammounts of energy produced by powerfull (but with low voltage level) supplies. IMHO the most of energy translated in heat and the less for driving the load. And these all damned Hi-End loudspeakers are very heavy loads. Although its most active parts such the speakers are relativelly easy loads, the rest such the box, the x-overs, the damping materials etc make finally this load very heavy to drive. Although i am not busy with tube amplifiers, i believe that they are prefferable in such situations instead a class A solid state unit. And this owed mainly in their tubes brutal force which is not spended in heat.
Second: The D. Self book it is not more than a collection from well known topologies already and some curious ideas of the author based mainly on his (and a dream of all of us) Audio Precision analyser. Maybe from his enthusiasm, caused from this instrument, he proceeded in various approaches from which the only important and practical was the EF in the VAS stage. John L. Hood he had made many of such propositions enough years before. An example it is the CFP output examination. Yes, it is by far most responsible in bandwidth in relation with EF output but in practice (i made also me my experiments) it is dangerous in supply levels from +/-40V and above to :bomb:.. So, with a such topology we can obtain as much a power about 80W/8Ù. This power it is enough for my bookshelf Mission 780 speakers.
Third: The secret (according to my experiments) it is that. The supply level it is of bigger importance. A level of +/-60V at least it is appropriate. Of course we must forget a class A amplifier in such voltage level. Also a CFP it is continuously under the danger of thermal runaway in a such voltage level. Thus, by applying the subtractive method (the method of Socrates, because except philosopher was a big psychologist in ancient Greece) we resulted in the EF class AB amplifier. It is so simple.
As for the rest, the thermal compensated CCS and the current mirrors are usefull for the stability. I heat personaly the double diode polarized CCS. And the large electrolytic bootstrap capacitors. These big power (due to their high supply voltage and the big power transformers accordingly used) amplifiers are amazing in reproduction due to their almost zeroed output impedance owed to large number of output transistors that comprise, are in possition to send the cone of any Hi-Fi speaker out of the magnet assembly without any heared distortion. I remembered a fany event, when i had some Crest and Peavey P.A. amplifiers in my stock, with one friend. He had a pair of heavy Spendor loudspeakers and he tried to listen music by driving these with a NAD 2 X 100W and he was disapointed because its error selection. Take this Crest i said to him to check your speakers. If i was not with him during the "audition tests " :D :D :D sure from his enthusiasm the cones of speakers will catapulted on the opposite wall :D :D :D without they burned. The speakers burned from the distortion in mid-high frequencies, even in low audition levels, and not from clear power. From this simply the cones catapulted :D :D :hot: :hot: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bawling: :bawling:
Fotios

That is exactly what i'm getting at!! <<<@ Andy L

So it seems i should try and measure the IMD befor i condemm this amp as sounding bad. It may show up a measurable discrepancy that i can begin to hunt down. If i cant see whats wrong then i cant really fix it. Just like Andy L said befor, i'm having the same phenominon were a throw together amp built to the lowest standards ( also similar to a JLH amp ) sounds great in comparison even though on paper its under powered and of high distortion.

So, who's gonna volunteer to give me a crash course in IMD distortion measurement then?? LOL

Leigh

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
For what it's worth, IMO the way the amp reacts to having what is in reality a "low impedance signal generator", ie the speaker, hung on it's output plays a large part. Also high damping factor isn't nearly as important as claimed for good sound (My opinion ;) ). Any chance of you posting the circuit ?
Regards Karl

If you have the old version of RMAA you can set whatever tones you like for the IM measurement. The latest version I think have a fixed setting with 60Hz + 7kHz or something like that. Possibbly the latest pro/licensed version allows custom settings.

As an alternative you can download ARTA and use that for IM measurement and multitone measurements.

/Peter

I'm at work at the mo but as soon as i get home i'll post the circuit. I must say though its not just this particular design i'm probing, if its a fact that low THD does not automatically give good performance then i want to know why. It's not about improving my amp design at all. I'll post the circuit tho then you can all see why i'm at this dilema.

Leigh

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If we knew the answer to that :) I think a lot comes down to how we perceive sound. Turning the argument round slightly, why does a musician prefer an old instrument over a modern equivalent ? The modern equivalents, computer designed and all, are technically superior but as for that elusive sound, the sound that makes the hairs on your neck stand up, we've a long way to go. I have found it the same with audio.
Regards Karl

Pros and Cons of THD measurement

I have posted a summary of what I believe to be the value and shortcomings of THD measurements over in the permanent negative feedback thread.

I've tried to explain why it is desirable to have very low levels of THD. I have also tried to cite the numerous sources of sonic degradation that may escape a low THD measurement. THD is neither necessary nor sufficient to achieving excellent sonics; so why is THD a valuable tool? That is the sort of question I've tried to answer.

Cheers,
Bob

hi nitrate

hi nitrate..i didnt read all of the posts but i can tell something ..i build output capacitorless class a headphone amplifier a week ago..i used opamps that have very very low thd..i used lm4562.it has nearly no thd.i listened to it..the sound is very clear and detailed but i thought that there is something wrong..i replaced opa2134 which has more thd than lm4562..but the sound is better now!and now i think that detailed and pure sound is not always good for my ears..and low slew rate amp maybe can sound better?

here is the schematic of my amp

Attachments

• kulaklikamp_image002.gif
    kulaklikamp_image002.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 373
As requested here is the offending circuit.
The Amps origins are to be found here:-

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1407918#post1407918

It seems that the more NFB is applied the greater the drop in THD but at the same time the amplifier seems to sound less transparent. I mean the amp does not sound 'bad' but it isnt up to my expectations either!!

Leigh

Attachments

• kissamp2.gif
    kissamp2.gif
    91.3 KB · Views: 366
nitrate said:

It seems that the more NFB is applied the greater the drop in THD but at the same time the amplifier seems to sound less transparent. I mean the amp does not sound 'bad' but it isnt up to my expectations either!!

Leigh

That's the opinion of many.
But it's considered heresy by many others.
Some go so far as to advocate 0 feedback.

AAMOI why did you opt for a quasi complementary output?. Possibly getting bipolar gain droop, the VAS stge is set to 13mA and the TIP41 has a gain of as low 30 and the MJL21193 25 so it could possibly supply 10 amps max also the ft the TIP41 is only 4MHz which wont help. I have played, about thirteen years ago!, with a Self type topology except it used FETS and had Hawksfords error correction circuitry, the results were very very good. If think the design is in here somewhere, if not I can dig it out. Any questions on error correction should be referred to Mr Cordell :).

Re: Pros and Cons of THD measurement

Bob Cordell said:
I have posted a summary of what I believe to be the value and shortcomings of THD measurements over in the permanent negative feedback thread.

I've tried to explain why it is desirable to have very low levels of THD. I have also tried to cite the numerous sources of sonic degradation that may escape a low THD measurement. THD is neither necessary nor sufficient to achieving excellent sonics; so why is THD a valuable tool? That is the sort of question I've tried to answer.

Cheers,
Bob

Mr. Cordell

With each respect to you, i maintained nearly the same in my post #21:

"""I have to add only one remark. There is an antagonism between THD and IMD; The question it is that: which of the two distortions is more valuable? According to my books the measurement of IMD it is more valuable because its product there is in the audible spectrum from human ears; the IMD calculation according to SMPTE standards -which give the worst results from other standards such as CCIF- it is executed by applying in the input of DUT a mix of two sinus, 60HZ/1Vpp and 7KHZ/0,25Vpp. The difference between these two fundamental frequencies presented in the output of DUT which expressed as, and only, eiter the 2nd or 3rd order factor harmonics - produced by the fundamental frequencies- amplitude sum divided by the amplitude of the high frequency it is the IMD percentage while the rest harmonics can be omitted because they are outside from the region of measurement (and the region of audible spectrum). In conclusion so the THD as the IMD caused from the nonlinearity of the amplifier."""

Our opinions (from experiments) they converge almost and thank you very much for your confirmation.

Fotios

nitrate said:

Leigh

Leigh, realy the circuit it is an uncommon implementation. Because in electronics everything it is under revision forever, i can't express my opinion. Before 5 years i heared a Hi-End class amplifier of Italian origin with quasi compl. output with wonderful reproduction.
Thus the only remark that i have it is the strange mix of misfit between them transistors. Why you use these hi Vce transistors although the voltage supply level of your project it is so low? Everyone, yet the most newcomer, he knows that the higher the Vce the lower the beta (bandwidth) of a transistor. In so low supply you can use transistors with a beta of some hundreds which accordingly helps in the improvement of the transient response. That is exactly what you don't like in hearing.
Also the circuit it does not say nothing by alone and by the simulation. Can you please tell us how much it is the Rise Time by applying a square wave of 10KHz from a real generator in input and measured in output with a real and not a virtual oscilloscope?

Fotios

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.