TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

I have some of my lighting setup if you want!
I plan on a doing a demo setup in a copula months. ATM I have srx 725 top boxes to go ontop of four of these sw115 loaded th18's, a fair amount of intelligent lights inc some 1500MW green lasers on a big truss with a 4m wide projection setup underneath and behind the DJ. many details still need to be nailed out but that's the full on setup plan.

Well, not only "pretty bad" because it is HIGHLY unlikely to "just come across" these cabinets if they where to be the real deal.

I would say;

- Wrong type of wood, thus vibrating of the stage. These big boxes need to be made bombproof to last long and sound like they should.

- Wrong type of wood-joining, the are glued "cold" by which I mean no CNC inserted joints of panels into each other but just plane against each other (sorry for the bad English here).

- The craigslist is a kind of world-wide "open" sell your stuff internet medium. I would not want to use this to buy a $950 / each pile of wood and find out they don't work like they should. By "open" I mean not controlled or guaranteed in any way or form. Who is this "just happened to find" guy. can you trust your money here? I would not!

- There has been a "seen through" wireframe 3D design of this cabinet some years ago, and some of us have tried to draw up a plan from it. It looks like this is that plan, build with the wrong "waterproof" NOT 13 ply NOT birch multiplex.

- Just a quick add-up: $950 for the cabinet, $200 for a paint job, $400 for the driver, $200 for hardware / plugs / cable / wheels / speakerprotectionwiremesh. So $1750 for each to make some noise. If you would go to a local wood-workingshop and have it build with 13-ply Birch it would cost you around $400 - 500 for a rock solid CNC'ed version, with a plan from this forum combined with [comment][/comment]the correct type of driver. Just ask the forum if it would be okay to build your own by means of there plan would be fair enough i'd say.

In other words, NOT interesting, just a poor copy-cat, of which Danley and the likes would get fat up with (if they really should care, its crap any ways).

So far my penny's worth.

regards,

Yes there is by no means nothing like the real thing .

Frans

Has anyone made a 15" adapter plate for the TH18?
Yes I tried the Faital 15HP1030, it sounded great.

Based on experience with similar cabinets I would say that it works but will have lower SPL due to the smaller Sd of the 15" opposed to an 18" driver. The SPL is not lowered over the entire working range, Fc high and low become peakier and the SPL inbetween suffers.
That would be displacement limited SPL, and the response shape does not have to be peaky at all, just choose the right driver. Some folks are fine with 1KW, others need 1.21GW :headshot:

I just received one of my 18sw115 drivers, its a whopper!

The build is still a few weeks away but I might pop it into my old jrx 118s cab to see what it sounds like (anything better than the original is a good start). All parts and fittings have been ordered and just making some final adjustments to the cad file, ready for cnc.

What are the best ways to do a nice grill without restricting the mouth much?

What do you want the grille for?

Metal grilles look nice and can be had at around 70% open. Just put some mounting strips in the mouth and you'll be fine. For structural purposes you can use something that is much bigger and structurally supportive. More wire like in looks. I think Jbell or Art posted a picture a while back.

Ok, I should explain more.

I was somehow under the impression that the grill itself would not do much acoustically but if you were to have extra ply around the entire inner size of the mouth to mount the grill on it would decrease spl or have other detrimental effects.

I would like a grill for the sleek corporate look, protection of the driver, structural integrity or less bracing needed but not necessarily if it is going to have a large sonic impact.

I understand that having double thickness of ply to mount is an option but simply fixing the grill onto the top of the mouth would probably not look nearly as good as the inset one.

With this design a grill all across the opening is very effective in reducing vibrations of the outlet-area... Without it you have losses in efficency and accuracy when using normal 18mm MPX Birch wood. The grill functions as a bracing (if mounted correctly and very tight)... Probably chrpladm is refering to the round grills directly mounted on top of the woofer... this of course makes no sense here....

It has been noted in the past before by Jbell on bracing the mouth of other horns to help rid the resonance. If this was what was wanted than a rebar minimalist waffle style would work best. Extremely strong and supportive. Not very sexy though.

Or you could have one made out of aluminum or steel and just specify the thickness and open area. I would rabbit the mouth edge to mount the grille. BUT you would have to make sure you could rabbit the mouth in all areas first.

And no I am not talking about the grilles you put over the speaker. LOL. Not useable in this application.

For my build, I used the RH-3702 grill from Reliable Hardware and attached it to some 3/4" Baltic birch strips around the inside of the horn mouth (I posted a picture here). I also put some weather stripping between the grill and wood to prevent any vibration. I've had zero issues with this setup and I've been running the sub hard.

Now P.Audio C18-650 are upgraded can I use in TH-18

For 225$ you can have the P.Audio C18-650EL. It has double spider, demodulation ring, high headroom (AES 1200Watt - 2400W max), high quality build with tight tolerances and sims good in the Xoc1-TH18.

Xoc1_TH18-2_Paudio_C18-650EL.jpg

Dear Sir.

Now P.Audio Claim the C18-650el changing new Voice coil

"The C18-650EL is an upgraded design that features many of P Audios new technologies and performance upgrades"

P.Audio System Co., LTD

can I use this new C18-650EL or other model that work well with TH18.

P.Audio System Co., LTD

Regards
Natthawat PP.

Dear Sir.

Now P.Audio Claim the C18-650el changing new Voice coil

"The C18-650EL is an upgraded design that features many of P Audios new technologies and performance upgrades"

P.Audio System Co., LTD

can I use this new C18-650EL or other model that work well with TH18.

P.Audio System Co., LTD

Regards
Natthawat PP.

Have a look at the Max SPL sim. I think the QTS is way too high for a horn and the xmax at 5.5 mm means it won't go very deep or loud.