TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Tom I respect your ability.

I respect your business acumen.

But I have never said that you copied the Jensen design. And if I did enough in your old posts you have admitted to patent mining just as all good designers do.

And to say that you design and invent in a vacuum without relying on what others have done before you is a bit on the absurd side of reality.

I'm not trying to diminish your talents or abilities. You are a gifted designer. And I have said that publicly for years.

These guys have done great work reverse engineering some of your work. It is a tribute to the quality of what you have accomplished. Not a swipe against you.

Mavo, I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Not one person involved in the design section of this thread had anything to steal from Mr. Danley, and my statement about |Mr. Danley standing on the Shoulders of giants was not made to provide insult or injury.

Tom I respect your ability.

But I have never said that you copied the Jensen design.

I assumed you were talking about the Transflex, if you meant something else I didn’t catch what it was.

And if I did enough in your old posts you have admitted to patent mining just as all good designers do.

I am not sure where / how you would have gotten that idea as that isn’t what I do. I am curious now, can you show me where I gave that impression?

And to say that you design and invent in a vacuum without relying on what others have done before you is a bit on the absurd side of reality.

I can clear up your idea about how I do things. I am self taught in acoustics, electronics and electromagnetics and so I assemble my own rules for how things work when they aren’t something I can look up.
This is how everything I have worked on was, from the acoustic levitation shuttle payloads, the servomotor driven subwoofers, even the Unity and then Synergy horns were developed that way.
You conceive, build, measure, adjust your working model and build again until you understand how it works and can “design one”.

These guys have done great work reverse engineering some of your work. It is a tribute to the quality of what you have accomplished. Not a swipe against you.

I didn’t post to belittle ANY of the effort that went into this project nor would i want a DIY’r to get the idea I don’t want them to build things based on my inventions ( a business selling them is another matter).
In fact I get sort of a kick out of it, the lab sub for example was a subwoofer design I donated to a forum.
My only reason for posting was the tone of your post was rather irritating.

Not one person involved in the design section of this thread had anything to steal from Mr. Danley, and my statement about |Mr. Danley standing on the Shoulders of giants was not made to provide insult or injury.

You are quite correct about standing on the shoulders of giants, as Don Davis (he and Dick Heyser are a couple of my personal giants) said of an industry giant speaker company of the day “the ancients are stealing our inventions”.
On the other hand, the ideal for the Unity horn sprouted from a comment Don had made about 15 years earlier and Heyser’s TEF machine changed the course of my life literally.
There is more than one way to stand on the shoulder of giants and it is the accumulation of that knowledge that has produced the modern technological society. I think James Burke made an excellent view of that path in his series Connections and the day the universe changed.
nuf said
Tom

getting ready to build

Hi ,:confused::confused:
Getting pieces cut out and haven't read the whole thread yet,so what kind of glue to use here,and any changes to the cut list ? It's almost done!
One more ,how is the speaker bolted in ? Are you using washers with the bolts,wood nut on one side? AND of course any suggestions would be Great!!!!

Will be using 2 peevey 18" low rider ,not decided on POWER ,I have 2ea, 500 and 1000 watt amps to try out.

I plan to cross around 125 hz or so,using 2 DCX 2496 each in 4 way,
high,mids,low and sub.
Thanks Alot:D

Hi ,:confused::confused:
Getting pieces cut out and haven't read the whole thread yet,so what kind of glue to use here,and any changes to the cut list ? It's almost done!
One more ,how is the speaker bolted in ? Are you using washers with the bolts,wood nut on one side? AND of course any suggestions would be Great!!!!

Will be using 2 peevey 18" low rider ,not decided on POWER ,I have 2ea, 500 and 1000 watt amps to try out.

I plan to cross around 125 hz or so,using 2 DCX 2496 each in 4 way,
high,mids,low and sub.
Thanks Alot:D
If your cuts are of average accuracy and smoothness you might use PL Premium adhesive, if your cuts were super precision and fit good old wood glue would be OK. Most humans would probably fall into the PL category. ;)

I measured the TS parameters a while back and they were NOT nearly what was claimed, I don't think this is going to work out well.

As measured the BL²/Re was 69.13, that's less than 1/3 the motor force of the B&C 18SW115.

Leaving you with something like this :whacko:

Attachments

• LR18.png
    LR18.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited:
If your cuts are of average accuracy and smoothness you might use PL Premium adhesive, if your cuts were super precision and fit good old wood glue would be OK. Most humans would probably fall into the PL category. ;)

I measured the TS parameters a while back and they were NOT nearly what was claimed, I don't think this is going to work out well.

As measured the BL²/Re was 69.13, that's less than 1/3 the motor force of the B&C 18SW115.

So don't use the peavey use a B&C ?

Leaving you with something like this :whacko:

OIC you snuck one in the quote...
Yea the B&C is a good option, the force is strong in that one
DarthVader.gif

I would wait a minute on the cutting if possible there are a few ideas floating in this thread that have not been incorporated into the final drawings and cut sheets... The Chef is still cooking methinks.

Any of the #10 or 1/4" inserts found here will work:
http://www.parts-express.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=829
I prefer #10's as they leave you a little wiggle room, Hurricane nuts are what I buy. I am not a fan of the t-nut though.

Hi Dan,:D
This is a discussion group so thanks for your input I took it as that,Now you ok?
So I 've got 2 options here and I have read almost all of this thread and a few more ,Here's the deal I need a bass cabinet ,so Do I sell the 2 peavey,buy a 2 new speakers found them at several places at $500.00 +
or build a BR for it as that seems more to what it is built for,I did read in one thread for the cubo 18 that it was actually a good speaker to use because it is small profile,Now I don't need 140 db I am a home stereo user with commercial equipment,I like quiet/noise wise balanced ,powerful equipment,I mod behringer's XXX-XXXX to do as I need and so far my friend's bring music and good beer/wine to hear it play that's flattering,lol.
So give me your thoughts and point me to the plans hell it's just another box right,lol.:DI got a friend with a cnc wood cutter ,I called him and explained ,he has not cut nothin' yet so no PROBLEM !
Thanks alot!:)

For the limited power and non industrial SPL requirement you can get by with a lesser driver than the 18SW115, however the LR18 is still not a good candidate. CNC and dado's are your friend on this one - lucky guy u. It'll be an amazing good music sub but 30Hz is not in the cards. Lower cost driver - B&C 15PS100-8 is looking good, and if you really are not needing more than 120dB the super budget dark horse is the Dayton PA380-8.

gee,
looks like the peavey's might need a new home ,lol. I am not in a hurry to build bass cabinets so I 'll see if I can find some B&C's and go from there ,2 will probably do it ,
When do you think a finalization of plans might be? I found some used mackie's with 18 in them ,but he 's on the fence about price ,He wants $ 750.00 each and their 2 years old and in Austin so It might be awhile before I go ,If I build I know what's there and how long they will last ,

I am using a JBL waveguide and JBL/BMS compression driver over Faital 12" mid-bass. Krell and Crown amps, an IpalMod soon, but not permanently though :(. I have BIG JBL 4722 waveguides and BMS compression drivers waiting in the wings for me to get motivated. I like to setup outdoors and do movie party's...

gee,
looks like the peavey's might need a new home ,lol. I am not in a hurry to build bass cabinets so I 'll see if I can find some B&C's and go from there ,2 will probably do it ,
Two of anything I've outlined here is going to be enough for domestic indoor fun. I was on the phone asking for a pre-paid return tag after measuring that driver. :grumpy:

When do you think a finalization of plans might be?
I dunno - it's Martin's deal, but I think it won't be long now that he's had some feedback from builders. I think it would already be done weeks ago if it were not for the "political" BS. :shutup:

I found some used mackie's with 18 in them ,but he's on the fence about price ,He wants $ 750.00 each and their 2 years old and in Austin so It might be awhile before I go ,If I build I know what's there and how long they will last ,
IMO you would be so much better off with the pair of 18SW115's then if you were to spend $500 a pop on comercial pro subs. Like light-years ahead.

my2c:

you got the lowriders -- and they are more valuable to be sold in a cabinet, than by themselves. Personally I'd go ahead and put them in a BR. box.

One of the threads justin (wisounds) built some nice looking boxes with ports all the way around the perimeter for lowriders. Find that thread, or ping him for dimensions.

Then when the plans are fully baked, and you are ready for a TH (and made a bit of money selling the lowriders in boxes) with an appropriate TH driver -- go for it.

Hi,
I saw the pyramids wild looking box has anyone used them or the cubo sub I am looking for a home for those LR peavey's.
Next question I saw some tapped horns by danley and some others anyone heard them ?I have seen alot of commercial ventures football stadiums ect.
I would like to end up with a set of speakers for tops of 140 db and 20 to 20 k I guess that's everyone of us dreams ,huh,lol.
So if I'm going to buy speakers and materials to build what would be suggested ?I saw behringer has a Inuke copy of a Crown......
Jbell would you dig a little for me I did and didn't get far I joined speakerPlans but something Fuc%up with my resistration it won't activate,,,,my luck.so no plans yet
Thanks for your time Guys,,,,,,

Last edited: