Test your ears in my new ABX test

Have you been able to discern the files in an ABX test?

• Yes, I was able to discern the files and have positive result

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No, I was not able to discern the files in an ABX test

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried with speakers and headphones and impossible to discern it.

Tried with my "bad" amplifier and 12/12 another time. Only for curiosity I test the output for this amplifier and I get the images posted below. Harmonics are worsened much more for 440_opa549 than for 440_orig, and see H2 is lower.

Looks like the "bad" amp you use has real problems with low level signals. This might be a good candidate for the test with music, I mean it would be interesting to prepare test music files with your amplifier.

It would be very interesting to hear only the crossover distortion of your opa549 amp for an audio track. Can you post any?
Thanks in advance.

Okay, I did my best and tried hard, however the resulting extracted differential file has only linear distortions audible (caused by phase shifts due to subtle change in amplitude response with the amp), even if I tried the SW that should eliminate the phase shifts. So, with music, no audible crossover artifacts to be posted, sorry. I may try different music sample, but I doubt any success.

For those of you (and anyone who would like to participate again) who have complained on 16-bit resolution and music sample quality, I have prepared a new, much more "audiophile" test files at

http://pmacura.cz/toc549.zip

The files are in 48/24, the question is the same, please post your ABX result, but this time feel free to comment on your preferences and file sound impressions. Tested again track with and without the OPA549 amp, loaded this time by 6.8 resistor, for the reason that recording with loud playing speaker is really annoying.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Great test track :) hmmm :D this is going to be a toughie as well.

Quick first listen and I thought I could attribute a signature to one (I'll not say what) but the ABX results show otherwise @ a 2/8 and 5/8. That was on headphones with a flat response and moderate volume.

Here my results for testing the occo and 400Hz archives
I already mentioned the "occo" result...
Well, I being honest here. The sine results are basically luck. I don't hear differences.
So I tested my equipment I've listened for limit
0.01% THD for a triode amplifier (at test volumes) is not too bad... :D
Measured in the secondary, since the Stax 'phones are connected to primary and is too high voltage for the audio board (and impedances)
Is clearly visible the crossover distortion for the "bad" file.
I will try to measure with my test microphone to see if this "appears acoustically"
Of course, even the best phones will have far more low order distortion than my amp or the test files.

Sometimes is fun to play with. But for me causes very bad anxious effects, so at least because of this I don't use much ABX :p

Attachments

• ABX OPA.jpg
    ABX OPA.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 124
  • ABX orig.jpg
    ABX orig.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 122
  • ABX res.jpg
    ABX res.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 127
  • ABX Trial sine.png
    ABX Trial sine.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 124
  • ABX trial sine.txt
    709 bytes · Views: 33
  • ABX Trial.png
    ABX Trial.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 124
  • ABX trial.txt
    506 bytes · Views: 38
Yes, that's about my average although I did manage a 2/8 somehow :(

I still want to give these a more thorough listen but have been pushed for time today.

I am quite glad of the results of this thread, because it shows how complex this is and that any simplification based on 1 or 2 plots and numbers is quite invalid. I would like to turn attention to the result of mimi123

Test your ears in my new ABX test

as it shows that some amplifiers with very strange non-linearity may confuse the test results, see how his "bad amplifier" exaggerates low level signals by distorting them and thus changes test result. This is really very interesting. If he had not another, better amplifier, he could have said: "look, I heard it and have positive result!". And he supported the issue by measurement, which I appreciate very much.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That is quite an interesting scenario for sure. I have an ancient Rotel RA820 that was rebuilt using vertical FET's in the output stage, and the bias is adjustable down to zero. I might try that tomorrow and see if I can replicate mimi's result.

* With Lacinator ABX was impossible

* With JRiver I can differentiate.

I like more Tocr.wav because it sounds more analog, with less shrill highs and more bass. More natural, credible and almost without fatigue.

PS: with the KEF Q100 speakers.

Thanks for your listening impressions, Maty. I will reveal which file is which later, after we possibly collect more opinions, because I do not want to bias further listeners.

Both Wasapi and ASIO almost always give cleaner analog output of the soundcard or DAC, than DS, Maty :). The only way how to verify is to measure DAC output :). Also, cards tend to work best at only one sampling frequency and with 24 bits. So it is very wise to use a SW resampler and feed the card with the format that gives the cleanest analog output .....
So it goes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.