Test your ears in my new ABX test

Have you been able to discern the files in an ABX test?

• Yes, I was able to discern the files and have positive result

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No, I was not able to discern the files in an ABX test

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes i know that IMD test is not very sensitive to 3rd order distortion.

No, I am trying to say that the CCIF is not sensitive to 2nd order distortion (difference tone) created by crossover distortion. The 1kHz tone, generated by 13+14kHz, 19+20kHz or so by crossover distortion is small and not well audible. As opposite, this test is more sensitive to odd harmonics which make the skirts around 2 fundamental tones.

I deeply apologize guys. Would you mind testing again?

http://pmacura.cz/1khz_549new.zip

the previous test was invalid, sorry again. The new files are synchronous and time aligned. They come from the same source generator and are made simultaneously.

Karl and others, perfect pitch discrimination, as you know, linear changes are much more audible than nonlinear changes.

I just listened to both, 2x times, on my desktop computer - internal soundchip, to cheap amplified very lo fi speakers, but adequate for 1 KHz.

The file marked OPA549 SEEMED to have a very low level ringing/fm warbling quality - the best way I can describe it is the sound of listening to CW ( morse code ) through a really, really, really, narrow filter.

My PERCEPTION is it jumped right out at me the first time I listened to it, and also the second time. Whether I could reliably A/B it, I have no idea, unfortunately.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, or golden eared. I have no idea if there is any actual difference in the files, and I simply imagined what I heard. But I have listened to a lot of CW .....

Win W5JAG

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now that is interesting. I heard this as well but put it down to using perhaps to high a level (which in reality wasn't high) and also the fact that swallowing and jaw movement seemed to make it instantly disappear.

Both files did it because I thought at the time I could ID them from this but no, both do it and I conclude its a 'listener effect' and not something present in the actual sample.

Not my point 1% peak nonlinearity in the transfer function produces 0.5% harmonic distortion.

I assume that the factor 2 goes away because of the two sines at 10k and 11k?

Attachments

• spec2.jpg
    spec2.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 137
Back to the crossover distortion test topic - this is interesting, it is the difference between 440_orig and 440_opa549 file, with phase shift eliminated, and grossly magnified (Y axis is in samples). One can easily see the nature of the crossover distortion.

Attached is also the difference file in zip. Should be played in normal volume same as for 440Hz files.

Attachments

• 440_xover.PNG
    440_xover.PNG
    80.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 440_crossover.zip
    326.1 KB · Views: 36
Spectra of the 440Hz files. Be first one to discern them.

http://pmacura.cz/440_549.zip

Tried with speakers and headphones and impossible to discern it.

Tried with my "bad" amplifier and 12/12 another time. Only for curiosity I test the output for this amplifier and I get the images posted below. Harmonics are worsened much more for 440_opa549 than for 440_orig, and see H2 is lower.

Attachments

• 440_orig.jpg
    440_orig.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 440_opa549.jpg
    440_opa549.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 66
Back to the crossover distortion test topic - this is interesting, it is the difference between 440_orig and 440_opa549 file, with phase shift eliminated, and grossly magnified (Y axis is in samples). One can easily see the nature of the crossover distortion.

Attached is also the difference file in zip. Should be played in normal volume same as for 440Hz files.

This track is amplified like the image you posted, I suppose.
I never imagine the crossover distortion sounds like this. Very thanks for posting it.
It would be very interesting to hear only the crossover distortion of your opa549 amp for an audio track. Can you post any?
Thanks in advance.

I should have said zoomed rather than magnified or amplified. There was no further sound amplification used. You have to compare the extracted distortion file with the 440_orig sine file in foobar by switching between them at same volume and you will find the extracted crossover distortion inaudible. I will try to prepare the sound file with extracted crossover distortion from music, but it will need quite a lot of time. In case of Mooly's files it was easy, as they were simulated, not recorded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.