TDA7492 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Perceval,
Any updates on your amp? Listening impressions? I am still looking for a cheap source of 32v SMPS bricks in the U.S. I don't want open frame, I want an enclosed CE or UL/CSA certified one with a wall plug and round jack.

Ok found one on Aliexpress for $25 +$11 shipping.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/621895776.html

This looks really useful for testing amps adjustable 0-32v 0-5amps.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1850468438.html

Last edited:
Haven't had time to hook up the amp to "real" speakers yet. Will do as soon as possible.

Right now, it is powering my horn sub, and doing a fine job at it so far.

Glad you found some power bricks. I tried to find the same as the one I have, but it seems they do not sell it without the amp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 7498 rocks when driving PA party speakers

I am using a pair of TDA7498's driven by a miniDSP and powered by 19v and 24v laptop bricks. The speaker is really a 3-way cross over test bed and I just implemented a transient perfect 3 way design using the S. Harsch XO. It turns out that a 98dB sensitive WMTMW with PA drivers can be driven to some insane volumes with this $11 amp. All 4 channels used (2 woofer, 1 mid, 1 tweeter) They sound very good. Clean and very powerful.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/277691-s-harsch-xo.html

494160d1437200618-filler-driver-ala-b-o-gen2-beta12cx-5mr450ndy-d280ti-front-photo.png

Last edited:
Finally rigged up my 7498 amp (100W TDA7498 100W High Power Digital Amplifier Board AMP Board With Radiator | eBay).
Although one of the inductor's shield was half destroyed, it did not seem to have any ill effect. I am using a 24 V smps to power the amp right now.
Comparing this amp to my SMKN 3116, I felt that the high frequency end seemed less extended. However, the sibilance (voices) is a bit more pronounced. Wow, the base is much more powerful => digs lower and more prominent than the 3116. The sound stage is also wider and deeper and give slightly more ambiance (noise?). The amp is quite enjoyable. It definitely plays louder than the 3116 (my 3116 is at 32 db gain already). This chip runs hot. The heatsink on this board is easily 4-5 times bigger than the one on the SMKN 3116, and it felt quite warm after 15-20 minutes of play time. I can imagine how hot it will get if I use a 32 V PSU and play the amp at higher volume level.

At this point I am not sure whether it is worth to change the inductors and the power caps for better ones. The amp sounds quite good as-is. In some aspects, it is "better" than the 3116 (base, sound stage) but I has some less favourable characters (less extended high and sibilance) too.

Regards,

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Finally rigged up my 7498 amp (100W TDA7498 100W High Power Digital Amplifier Board AMP Board With Radiator | eBay).
Although one of the inductor's shield was half destroyed, it did not seem to have any ill effect. I am using a 24 V smps to power the amp right now.
Comparing this amp to my SMKN 3116, I felt that the high frequency end seemed less extended. However, the sibilance (voices) is a bit more pronounced. Wow, the base is much more powerful => digs lower and more prominent than the 3116. The sound stage is also wider and deeper and give slightly more ambiance (noise?). The amp is quite enjoyable. It definitely plays louder than the 3116 (my 3116 is at 32 db gain already). This chip runs hot. The heatsink on this board is easily 4-5 times bigger than the one on the SMKN 3116, and it felt quite warm after 15-20 minutes of play time. I can imagine how hot it will get if I use a 32 V PSU and play the amp at higher volume level.

At this point I am not sure whether it is worth to change the inductors and the power caps for better ones. The amp sounds quite good as-is. In some aspects, it is "better" than the 3116 (base, sound stage) but I has some less favourable characters (less extended high and sibilance) too.

Regards,

Maybe use it for woofers and 3116 for mids and tweeters if you are running an active setup. I did not notice sibillance or reduced top end when driving a CD. The measurements show 20kHz extension easily. Maybe it is because you are running a multiway passive XO speaker?

Maybe use it for woofers and 3116 for mids and tweeters if you are running an active setup. I did not notice sibillance or reduced top end when driving a CD. The measurements show 20kHz extension easily. Maybe it is because you are running a multiway passive XO speaker?

It is subjective, the sibilance (just a little bit more than my 3116) might be due to the pairing of the amp and my speakers. I really like the base and the expansive sound stage of this 7498. Again, not sure whether the better base response (as compare to 3116) is due to the input coupling cap which I have no clue what value it is. Anyway, for 15$ (actually it is free) a piece, absolutely no regret. Comparing to some of the cheap tube amps (trying to compare apples to apples) that I have heard > 20 years ago, the 7498 (and 3116) wins hands down.

Regards,

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just a heads up:
I bought 10 7498 amps from the first HTML link (the one with bad packaging).
First amp-no sound
Second amp-left channel only
Third amp-no sound
Seven to go.
Live and learn.

Sorry to hear that. I got lucky I guess 2/2 from this vendor and 2/2 for second vendor with great packaging.

If you bought from Aliexpress they will refund you for dead amps. Just file dispute before accepting merchandise as received and good on website. They are good about that.

Here is link for ones that came well packed.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32369235748.html

Last edited:
Just a heads up:
I bought 10 7498 amps from the first HTML link (the one with bad packaging).
First amp-no sound
Second amp-left channel only
Third amp-no sound
Seven to go.
Live and learn.

That is bad news.
I wish you the best to find a solution with the seller.

Has anybody experience with the mono versions (TDA749xMV)?
I look for a good mono board, as i build a new system with two 4Ohm Woofers, that will be powered by two BTL channels of a TAS5611.
Above them will play a high senstivity mid-high-horn with 8 Ohm impedance.
Sensitivity is about 95db for each woofer and about 105db for the horn.
So the woofers will need every bit of power to not stay behind the horn, as the main goal of the project is LOUDNESS.
A TDA7494MV might be a good fit.
Mono 100W high power digital amplifier board HiFi mono amplifier board TDA7498MV amplifier board-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is bad news.
I wish you the best to find a solution with the seller.

Has anybody experience with the mono versions (TDA749xMV)?
I look for a good mono board, as i build a new system with two 4Ohm Woofers, that will be powered by two BTL channels of a TAS5611.
Above them will play a high senstivity mid-high-horn with 8 Ohm impedance.
Sensitivity is about 95db for each woofer and about 105db for the horn.
So the woofers will need every bit of power to not stay behind the horn, as the main goal of the project is LOUDNESS.
A TDA7494MV might be a good fit.
Mono 100W high power digital amplifier board HiFi mono amplifier board TDA7498MV amplifier board-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Have you ever considered an IRS2092? These 200 watt monoblocks work quite well for me.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/275915-200w-irs2092-amp-20-a.html

IRS2092 200W Class D mono amplifier board-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

With this P.S. (needs a 150ohm power resistor (5w+) tied to secondary low voltage outputs as load in order to be stable):
Abletec 900 Watt Peak Class D Audio Amplifier Power Supply 53V DC UL Cul | eBay

488239d1434199057-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-irs2092-monoblocks.jpg

yes.
i'm looking into those modules:
Assembled mono L25D Power Amplifier board IRS2092 IRFB4020PBF (one channel)-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
But in that case i need to change the whole battery concept.
I should have said before that the system is battery driven.
I have not managed to implement step up converters with good enough decoupling from the rest of the system (same batteries), yet.
Those L25D should be nice to drive two of my 8Ohm Subs on one channel.
Those cheaper IRS2092 ship for a total of under 15€ each, which seems unbeatable.
I would appreciate some comments in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/277195-amping-hand-truck-pa.html

The above described system is something different.
As the 5611 is almost fixed for the basses, i look for a single channel, single supply board for the tweeter.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
yes.
i'm looking into those modules:
Assembled mono L25D Power Amplifier board IRS2092 IRFB4020PBF (one channel)-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
But in that case i need to change the whole battery concept.
I should have said before that the system is battery driven.
I have not managed to implement step up converters with good enough decoupling from the rest of the system (same batteries), yet.
Those L25D should be nice to drive two of my 8Ohm Subs on one channel.
Those cheaper IRS2092 ship for a total of under 15€ each, which seems unbeatable.
I would appreciate some comments in this thread:

The above described system is something different.
As the 5611 is almost fixed for the basses, i look for a single channel, single supply board for the tweeter.

Qnty 8 sealed lead acid 12 v cells will get you +/-48v. That should work just fine with IRS2092. Actually lead acids are 13.8v when fresh or +/-54v which is perfectly on the value.

Do you plan to set it up in your listening room? 8 SLA batteries take up a lot of space (plus the charging set up). My wife would never let me do that:p. Curious to see how it will work out.

Regards,

WAF is a limiting factor here, too.
I like to listen to my music very loud.
I relocated most of that to the outside.
The new amping is needed for my outdoor party machinery:
Some comments in that thread would be nice.

X, do the7492/7498 purchased by you have a turn on/off thump?
I read from the datasheets both have provisions for proper turn off so that the thump can be avoided but both of the boards you have linked to show no such arrangements, which requires some additional circuity like implemented in the Weiner amps.
I was planning to use the diyaudio speaker protection boards which will have a speaker connect delay of a few seconds and a DC protect.
The DC protect seems vital to me having seen blown woofers and the fact that I am going to use laptop smpses.
The start delay however means that the amps are open circuited for at least a few seconds and I remember reading about a tpa3116 which blew its output filter caps on being powered on with no load.
I guess the speaker protection circuit can be fiddled with to have no startup delay but I would prefer it to be on.

Last edited: