TDA1387 X8 NOS DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have couple of questions regarding mods:

1. Increase Decoupling of Analog Stage
It is recommended to use several 820uf/35V low ESR caps. I saw people use from 2 to 6 caps here - can I use less caps with higher capacitance ? What total capacitance is optimal (still fitting inside original case) ?

2.Increase TDA1387 Chip Supply Capacitance
Abraxalito and some other people use 4x15000uF 6.3V caps here, some use just one (but unknown capacitance due to making pics from top). It's hard to squeeze such large caps here, what minimal total capacitance should be target here ?

3. Caps mentioned above should be audio grade or regular ones are ok ?

4. In later versions of this DAC there are two blue round caps on output (just before sockets) - is there need to replace them with some other caps ?

:)

I think there's more than one kind of USB interface circuit which plugs into this DAC. If the interface chip is CM108 or PCM2706 then no driver is needed. You do need to have the (optional) PCB plugged in or you'll see nothing. The standard DAC does have a USB socket but no PCB installed.

I think there's more than one kind of USB interface circuit which plugs into this DAC. If the interface chip is CM108 or PCM2706 then no driver is needed. You do need to have the (optional) PCB plugged in or you'll see nothing. The standard DAC does have a USB socket but no PCB installed.

Ha! thank you. I now notice there's a very empty socket for "USB input".
I wonder how I could misinterpret the listing so as to not choose one with USB.

Is there an easy way of obtaining that or should I look into using the coax or toslink instead?

I plan on ordering the blue option of the dac from taobao, but am wondering what is the best way to get the 220v version in the US. And also just to clarify, I will also need to purchase the transformers, heatsinks and USB board to get the dac functioning. I plan on designing a 3d printed enclosure for it.

Banned - Sockpuppet
Joined 2006
TDA1387 Xo freq.

The TDA1387 supposedly has a max XO freq. of 18.4Mz (datasheet).
The eBay product below shows the XO = 50.00 mhz.
Is there clock division being done somewhere?

TB2tN0eaxvzQeBjSZFAXXaF9VXa_%21%21118770840.jpg

TB2SAxeapLzQeBjSZJiXXXesFXa_%21%21118770840.jpg

The R-ch of my L1387 is having heavy distortion. I tried to swap the op-amp, and the distortion remains at the R-ch. When there is no music playing, there is no crackling or noise. I have captured the output of 1kHz sine wave with a scope. The normal L-ch is like this:

The problem R-ch is like this:

I suspect that some of the TDA1387 chips have broken. Could there be other possible cause for the problem? Any suggestion is welcomed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.