Tang Bang W8-1772 Project Advice Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to begin a Tang Bang W8-1772 FR speaker project.

Based on information from Bob Brines on this full range speaker I decided on a 1.5 Cu Ft BR cabinet with a single 3" port 4" long.

I have two questions.

1. Should a recess be routed in the cabinet for these speakers?

2. Does lining the inside of the cabinet with sound damping material make sense? The cabinet will be made with 3/4" Aspen. I know it may not be the ideal material but it's all I have available.

(I've got some DIY experience. I built a 2-way BR with a Seas 27TDFC/RS-180 designed by Jay Kim. Those turned out to be excellent sounding speakers when driven with my PS Audio Digital Amp & DAC)

Now, I want to get into FR speakers with a SET tube amp.

Thanks for any advice.

Enjoy building your project. I am curious if you will be using a circuit on the full range driver or not.

I would imagine TB was looking at the Fostex market with their 1772 and 1808 full range drivers designing a low and mid Qts for back horns and/or ported designs only to have Fostex revamp their line to primarily low Qts drivers.

I have the 1808 and it's great! If the similar looking 1772 is similar sounding then it too should be great.

Zilla

Enjoy building your project. I am curious if you will be using a circuit on the full range driver or not.

Zilla

I hope not! But I won't know until I hear it first. The reason I want to try an SET tube amp and a FR speaker system is to get down to the very very simplist level as possible.

Initially I wanted to build an econowave for a SET tube amp. But I changed my mind after thinking about it a while. I don't want an X-over between the amp and the speaker driver.

What do you think about recessing the speaker? What do you think about lining the enclosure with sound damping material?

cabinet damping.

i would line the internal walls of your box, as another poster pointed out.

if you can find it i would lone with 1/4-1/2" wool felt, or wool felt underlay (accounting for the volume taken up by the liner) and BAF wadding(acoustastuff, pillow fill polyfibre) on top of that. the BAF doesnt require much if any compensation for volume, unless you fill the entire box.

i. myself had been considering this driver too, although a 'simple' filter to tame the HF a bit, maybe just a single coil, or if necessary a gentle notch.

hope this is of some help, i have been loking at the TB fullrangers for a while now (and dribbling profusely)

good luck

Last edited:
>>> i have been loking at the TB fullrangers for a while now (and dribbling profusely)

They are dribble worthy!

Attachments

• 1808+H-frame.jpg
    1808+H-frame.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 887
>>> What do you think about recessing the speaker?
>>> What do you think about lining the enclosure with sound damping material?

I've never recessed a driver before so can't comment on the sonic advantages. I'd imagine any advantage would be small.

I would stuff the cabinet loosely with acousta stuff... it's good stuff.

I have the 1808 not the 1772. I bought the 1808 in case i wanted to use it in a simple sealed box. I am sure Bob's box will sound good but i know he's not opposed to shelving down the top octaves of the speakers he designs with a clever circuit.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
if you can find it i would lone with 1/4-1/2" wool felt, or wool felt underlay (accounting for the volume taken up by the liner)

Unless so dense as to not be worthwhile using wool or cotton felt does not take away from the internal volume... it will subtly increase the apparent box volume as would other damping materials.

dave

>>> What do you think about recessing the speaker?
I am sure Bob's box will sound good but i know he's not opposed to shelving down the top octaves of the speakers he designs with a clever circuit.

I want to hear the raw drivers in my box before I tone down the HF. My hearing is good for my age but I am an old fart. A rising top end could be a blessing for my ears.

Unless so dense as to not be worthwhile using wool or cotton felt does not take away from the internal volume... it will subtly increase the apparent box volume as would other damping materials.

dave
not just for the sake of disagreeing but....

um im using wool felt very similar to what can be found around the tweeters in LS3.....i.e. piano damper felt. very worthwhile and dense enough to lower internal volume enough to allow for it in calcs

however, that said, using in combo with BAF(which would increase the apparent volume slightly) probably comes back to the same net result.

so in the end, Everyones right!

yay world!

What did you end up building?? Any pics? :)

I'm not sure if that is addressed to me or another poster. But here is what I built.

The enclosures are made from 3/4" thick Aspen. The interior dimensions are 9.75"w x 11.25"d x 22.5" high. The net volume, minus bracing, port tube and speaker displacement, is about 39L. A 3” x 6" port tube is installed. There are no resonances that I can hear. I've been reassured that solid-wood resonates no more or less than plywood if braced :p.

The TB 8-1772 has an extremely impressive response range. The bass begins to roll off at about 47hz in my enclosures. There's good response at 40hz, with audible response down to 27hz! The high-end extends to at least 13K which is the limit of my hearing. No tweeter augmentation is needed for my ears.

Attachments

• TEMPSETUP.jpg
    TEMPSETUP.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 544
I'm not sure if that is addressed to me or another poster. But here is what I built.

The enclosures are made from 3/4" thick Aspen. The interior dimensions are 9.75"w x 11.25"d x 22.5" high. The net volume, minus bracing, port tube and speaker displacement, is about 39L. A 3” x 6" port tube is installed. There are no resonances that I can hear. I've been reassured that solid-wood resonates no more or less than plywood if braced :p.

The TB 8-1772 has an extremely impressive response range. The bass begins to roll off at about 47hz in my enclosures. There's good response at 40hz, with audible response down to 27hz! The high-end extends to at least 13K which is the limit of my hearing. No tweeter augmentation is needed for my ears.

It was addressed to you :)

I saw your pics over at PE as well, they look great! The natural Aspen is gorgeous!! How do you feel they do being down that low to the ground, though? Do you have any sort of filter network running on them or straight post to post?

It was addressed to you :)

I saw your pics over at PE as well, they look great! The natural Aspen is gorgeous!! How do you feel they do being down that low to the ground, though? Do you have any sort of filter network running on them or straight post to post?

The setup in the picture is a temporary situation in the basement. The 'stands' are nothing more than 2x4's. I will raise them up with a proper stand.

There is no BSC at the moment. I'm taking a purist approach by running them post to post. They are BRIGHT. I mitigate that brightness by keeping them close to the wall and listening off axis. I'll wait until I have my 300B or 2A3 SET amp in hand before I design a BSC.

With the current setup the response is amazing for a full range speaker. Imagine an 8" full range that is TOO bright. At the same time an audible bass response down to 27hz is amazing as well!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.