TABAQ TL for Tangband

Jerms, Albertli already said that math is not his strong suit, so, you are now asking him to redesign cross sections of the enclosure and vent to make them fit into the trapezoid shape.

There is nothing wrong with the drawing Albertli gave us earlier. It's perfectly ok for the edge of the driver bezel to cut in on the sides a little. Many MarkAudio owners have had to do exactly that. That bezel is quite beefy, but there's plenty of space for the driver to breathe.

Jerms, Albertli already said that math is not his strong suit, so, you are now asking him to redesign cross sections of the enclosure and vent to make them fit into the trapezoid shape.

There is nothing wrong with the drawing Albertli gave us earlier. It's perfectly ok for the edge of the driver bezel to cut in on the sides a little. Many MarkAudio owners have had to do exactly that. That bezel is quite beefy, but there's plenty of space for the driver to breathe.

Nope, it just needs boxing in on the sides, keeping the original dimensions.

Although....
I forgot I mentioned a tube port in that "initial thought" post. When I came to explore the idea further I realised a calculator is needed or the correct formulas for working out different port cross sections and lengths.

TABAQ test with shelving materials

Here is the 'original plan' TABAQ build we did a couple years ago. Finally got around to cleaning up the blog posts here: Simple Speaker Project
We were trying to do something as simple and fast-build as possible while still sneaking it past the furniture police. Mostly successful, although getting it past the 3 year old rugrats turned out to be a bigger issue. They actually sounded quite nice, especially slightly off axis.

IMG_20181112_155550.jpg

I'm not sure how to best manage pictures on the forum, you may have to click on...

As you can see one of them has a ScottMoose style BVR port which seemed worth a try. We couldn't really tell a difference during real-world listening.
Of course that may be due to our just scaling the port off some other plans and no real modeling.

IMG_20170129_162438.jpg

Since this design allows for easy changes in the port configuration we decided "Why not?"

Re: w5 2143 enclosure

I have enclosed simulation of W5 2143 - which look very promising.

Have fun!

Regards
Bjørn

There is somethinng awfully suspicious here - I calculated the volume of the enclosure - 20.5 liters... compared to 34 for the TABAQ large with W5 1611 - both drivers are of the same size. And there is another thing I pointed out earlier - post #2054:
"Actually it's not that simple, because I know of two different measurements and they are not identical to the published specs:
Qts=0.45 - by user XRK871 - Decware DNA Horn
Qts=0.65 - TB SPEAKERS W5-2143 (Full-range 5", 8 Ohm, 60 Wmax) (image located in the lower part)"
If I would try to build an enclosure based on this design I would straighten out these issues before getting to the sweaty part.

W5-2143

Taken from the P.E. page

Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs)55 HzDC Resistance (Re)6.3 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.023 mHMechanical Q (Qms)3.21
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.43Total Q (Qts)0.38
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.671 ft.³Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)1.398 mm/N
BL Product (BL)5.43 TmDiaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)5.99g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2.5 mmSurface Area of Cone (Sd)97.83 cm²

I have a pair in my P.E. cart for a planned pair of Tabaqs.

P.D.F of Specs

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-958--w5-2143-spec-sheet.pdf

I would be more inclined to follow XRK's numbers however.
Published Speaker specifications are often "different" from reality.

Hi
I would really love to build the TABAQ but I have only Vifa TC9FD-8 not the TG9-4. Mr. Bjorn provided sim data and plan for TG9-4 on post #284. Mr. Bjorn also did provide the TABAQ master data for reverse engineering drivers not tested for TABAQ in post #1356. If Mr. XRK could take look at it provide some changes for the cabinet on using TC9FD-8 (?) I would be really thankful and happy. Again if Mr. Bjorn does a sim for TC9FD-8 like he did for the TG9-4 I would be really grateful (please). This is asking a lot but I only have that driver or no TABAQ for me!
I know that diy'ers have built TABAQ using TC9FD-8 but TABAQ designer has stated that TABAQ works best with drivers of Fs not above 105 Hz in post #1238. One could make an argument for the similarities of TC9 and TG9 but the two have very different Fs; maybe the TABAQ is not "tuned" (if that is the right word, sorry) for TC9FD-8 and hence might not be used?
Thank you!

The TC9's Qts is too high for the TABAQ.
You will not get the nice bass that other drivers get with the TABAQ.

But, as I have a pair of TABAQs that I use for fun, I did put the TC9 in... and as expected, it didn't perform well.

But, X did come up with a great design for the TC9... the mini-karlsonators.
If you only have a pair, then the 0.4x are pretty good. If you can get your hands on 4 drivers, than the dual 0.53x is even better with more output.

If you already have a sub to take care of the low end, then the Nola Brio clones are very nice too, using 4 drivers as well.

Otherwise, X's other design of a FAST with the 10F and the RS225 woofer is very good too. The TC9 can be used instead of the 10F.

And if you have the space, the Manzanita Open Baffle uses the TC9 and a cheap 15" woofer.

The last two designs involve simple crossovers.

Maybe you could look at post #757 ?

Oh! Sorry about that, missed it. I read the entirety of The Needle for TB thread until about Mr. Squeak said there are other advanced designs. I really love this design and the abilities of TABAQ, so beautiful and capable too! The TABAQ is also very easy to build. My supplier has all the vifa drivers from TC6 to TC10 but not the fibre-glass and are also very pricey here, TC9FD retails for USD25.50 + Shipping apiece! I also could get the Visaton FR 10 and FR10 HM but those wouldnot work as well, also FRS 8 is unaivailable: so no TABAQ nor Needle.
May I ask if you used the original TABAQ 3" plan or the Vifa TG9 plan to build your speakers with TC9FD?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/235457-decware-dna-horn-29.html#post5119539

W5-2143 as measured by XRK971

It would be nice if Bjorn could chime in and comment as to whether or not the measured specifications would change the box he designed for the W5-2143. If yes, maybe adjusting the stuffing would be all the change necessary.

I feel like I have seen a MLTL design for the W5-2143 somewhere. Certainly, it has nice TS parameters amendable to a decent design. It works well as vented bass reflex, so by inference, should make a nice MLTL.

You can always try the Accidental MLTL method to come up with a design.

Accidental MLTL Technique

ive built MLTL with w5-2143,
bass was acceptable for that small driver..not too deep, not too rich.. for acoustical music, not heavy rock.. with the top side i wasn't satisfied.. finished with series RL filter to tame some top end...at the end sound was ok... in the experimenting with the damping, without any filter, one day i was stunned with the quality of the sound, it was 3d totaly,.. but other day i didnt manage to get this sound quality... maybe because of damping wool moved.. or i was drinking some vine?? so i put baffle step 1.8mH in parallel with some ohms (5-10 i dont remember what sounds the best)

i had some 18mm ply to spend so sides are cut the same...i dont know is it good or no this way :D idea was small MLTL with FR for cca 15m2 room, simplistic to run with RS1003 Se tube amp (7w) ...speakers were developed with the amp together
here are pics , port calc .. port is some visaton regular model...shortened to 50mm
104GWTP.jpg
3BGoF0U.jpg
guLTtwc.jpg

constr and stuffing
zbBbUZQ.jpg
j7HDf9H.jpg

w. the amp
uRfJVJX.jpg
N9CFuOT.jpg
YRFtd8z.jpg
xOEu3ju.jpg

Last edited: