SystemD LiteAmp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
This is a cool project.

Are the performance/measurements comparable to the legendary Ncore at similar power rating?

How does the listening impression compare? I am sure similar level of clean, transparent and controlled rendering of recordings

Maybe the performance is not 100% comparable to the Ncore...
The LiteAmp is a powerful, neutral amplifier. Many Class D amplifiers have problems representing piano sound - LiteAmp has no problem.
I've build a 4 channel bridged LiteAmp as shown in this thread and even running bridged the distortion figures are very low.
My bridged LiteAmp makes fun up to 180W@8R per channel. ;)

BR, Toni

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just wanted to know the cost of your project...

Do you use them for bi-amp ?

Sorry for the incomplete question.

Costs - I never have counted all the bucks I have spend for my hobby.
If you build the 4 channel LiteAmp (= 8 LiteAmp modules in one case) exactly as I have done the amplifier may cost more as the most expensive Denon or Marantz AVR ... ;)

I use the 4 channel amplifier in combination with an LR24 analog active crossover with a crossover frequency of 380 Hz.

Have a look at post #242

BR, Toni

Last edited:
SMD revision of LiteAmp

@Chocoholic:

Hello Markus, would it be possible to get in contact with you via email to discuss a SMD revision of the LiteAmp?

Unfortunatelly I can´t sent you a private message because your memory space is full. :-(

Just want shortly discuss some topics with you before starting the discussion in official thread.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Stefan

Open Source Part 1

... making this project an open source hardware project?

Ok. Time is mature for this step.
In this and the next post I will disclose all the open source data.
Please be aware of the following hints:
1. The design uses voltages which can cause harm or even kill humans.
Only step into this project when you have a proper knowledge about working on electronic circuits with dangerous voltages.
2. Do not misuse the amp in any manner which could harm humans.
3. There is no evidence whether the LiteAmp violates patents/IP or not. In case of commercial use please clarify this topic first.

Attached to this posting you will find the schematics, BOMs and simulations.
In the next posting (Open Source Part2) you will get the layout data and gerber files.

Attachments

• LiteAmp_2x40V_IRFI4212_Schematic.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 390
  • SystemD_LiteAmp_2x40VDC.asc
    16.6 KB · Views: 173
  • SystemD_LiteAmp_2x40VDC_averagedmodel_DIYaudio.asc
    6.6 KB · Views: 175
  • LiteAmpGainBoardBOM20141121.pdf
    256.6 KB · Views: 199
  • LiteAmp2x80V_IRFI4020_BomBuilderData_SnubberUpdate20150927.pdf
    327.3 KB · Views: 221
  • LiteAmp2x65V_IRFI4020_BomBuilderData_SnubberUpdate20150927.pdf
    305.6 KB · Views: 231
  • LiteAmp2x40V_IRFI4212_BomBuilderData.pdf
    435.7 KB · Views: 226
  • LiteGain_40V_20141124.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 226
Open Source Part 2

The layout has been done with KiCad, which is a crossplatform layout software for any of the most common operating systems and available for free.
KiCad EDA

Attached you will find the KiCad files for the LiteAmp, so you can work with my files and modify, improve or worsen them according your taste.
Besides this I am also attaching the GerberFiles of the previous group buy.

Attachments

• LiteAmp-brd_Front.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 291
  • LiteAmp-brd_Back.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 227
  • LiteAmpMainGerber20140724.zip
    77.3 KB · Views: 179
  • LiteAmpGainGerber20141121.zip
    58.3 KB · Views: 163
  • LiteAmpMainKiCad.zip
    59.2 KB · Views: 220
  • LiteAmpGainKiCad.zip
    275.6 KB · Views: 182
Hi Markus!

Extremely generous and great initiative!
Big thumbs up for that!
Maybe it would be wise to collaborate/sort out some stuff for more projects.
Nowadays you can find a ton of open source projects, but I haven't found anything audio related.
Would be great to lift projects to an higher level so people really can enjoy it.

btw, don't forget the open hardware logo in your schematic/board design ;)

You mean this one?
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Open-source-hardware-logo.svg
Erhm - obviously PR is not my core competency...
But I will keep it in mind, in case I'll do another open source project.
:D;)

It just makes it a bit more clear for others, that's all
I think I will contact some people here and there to see if we can make things a little bit more clear about the whole open source idea.

Respect for doing this in KiCad btw.
I tried that program three times, and I just can't get a decent workflow.

edit:
What's the function of Q3/Q4. My guess is that they just function as an enable switch?

Last edited:
Frankly speaking - to me all the layout programs which I tried appeared to be pretty anti ergonomic.
And I definitely like the open source philosophy and different from most other free layout software it comes without harmful restrictions about board size or nodes or layers. Furtheron it really works trouble free to shift a project from a windows system to a linux system.
Overall it is an absolutely unrivaled layout software for me.

Q3, Q4:
They are limiting the output voltage of the gain stage.
In feedback systems with high gain including an integrating portion it is a general challenge to prevent the integrator from running into nirvana during clipping. The most simple solution would be some diodes or zeners from the comp pin to GND, however the solution which two transistors is slightly more fortunate regarding THD and gives more freedom to adjust any desired value.
The most beautiful solution is the anti saturation circuit from the Kemp design, but would add more complexity just for the sake of beauty.

The layout has been done with KiCad, which is a crossplatform layout software for any of the most common operating systems and available for free.
KiCad EDA

Attached you will find the KiCad files for the LiteAmp, so you can work with my files and modify, improve or worsen them according your taste.

hi
thank you for sharing

KiCad EDA

How much power have this amp?
how much is input voltage ?
are you test it before?
looks nice

There attached BOMs show three variants.
Unbridged the +/-40V version can drive speakers of nominal 2R and anything higher.
In bridged mode the +/-40V version can drive speakers of nominal 4R and anything higher.

Unbridged the +/-65V version can drive speakers of nominal 4R and anything higher.
In bridged mode the +/-65V version can drive speakers of nominal 8R and anything higher.

Unbridged the +/-80V version can drive speakers of nominal 8R and anything higher.
In bridged mode the +/-80V version can drive speakers of nominal 16R and anything higher.

Clipping will happen almost at the level of the supply rail.
Calculate the power according the supply rail, supply rail sagging, load impedance and the formula which you trust most.
(For some strange reasons here everybody calculates power in a different way. But no matter if you calculate it in the correct or wrong way - in order to get comparable results you always must claculate it in the same way...)
Or if you don't want to claculate, simply use the search function in this thread in order to get my power statements.