System Pictures & Description

The end result:

Attachments

• dvc02006.jpg
    dvc02006.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,783
m0tion said:

Leaky on purpose? Why not just calculate a vent?

Clearly on purpose, you can see the shape of the opening at the top.

This is an aproximation of a large open baffle close to a room corner. It works better than sealed and I don't like the sound of resonating waves (i.e. bass reflex), so this is a good way of creating extra body through the pressure chamber, but it allows the speaker to 'breathe' without focussing the pressure too much (i.e. standing waves).

Also, I use a digital equalizer always so that works out well with this (just as it did with a huge open baffle).

All outer joints are 45 miters. Panels are veneered in the vacuum press prior to the assembly. All internal joints between braces and the cabinet are dado joints. Braces are also interlocked with a dado joint. This makes an extremely stiff box. Having a good table saw (Powermatic 66) makes this work relatively easy, however this speaker took over 2o hours of work including finishing.

R-Carpenter said:
All outer joints are 45 miters. Panels are veneered in the vacuum press prior to the assembly. All internal joints between braces and the cabinet are dado joints. Braces are also interlocked with a dado joint. This makes an extremely stiff box. Having a good table saw (Powermatic 66) makes this work relatively easy, however this speaker took over 2o hours of work including finishing.

I noticed the dado joints, but failed to mention them. What brand Dado are you using? I also have a Powermatic 66...great saw:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

I have 8” Amana set with shims. I’ve had it for about 7 or 8 years just as 66. Great saw!
I use “Connecticut saw and tool” for sharpening service. So far, the best sharpening I’ve tried in years.
It’s a shame that Powermatic doesn’t make 66 anymore. I don’t think they make anything in USA now days either. I bought a 12inch jointer from them and it’s borderline good-not so good.

Home made ESLs

So I finally am satisfied (at least for now) with the system and I decided I'd share since it was only possible with the help of this forum... Comments are welcome. Its a slight modification of the Roger Sanders design...

(sorry, its going to have to be a series of attachments because I can't figure out how else to do it) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image001t.jpg
    image001t.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4,401
and finally, one of the speakers without the frou frou grill cloths...

The subs are audax carbon fiber 8 inch woofers in TL enclosures.

Rounding out the rest of the system is a rebuilt hafler DH200 (powering the panels), the fancy looking leach is actually powering the woofers. And a Denon DVD-2200.

Attachments

• image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5,080