Synergy Horns. No drawbacks, no issues?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought the main drawback was that the Synergy is not suitable for most home listening rooms - too big too directional and need some space to work in. If you have the space and don't need house filling dispersion then they are potentially a great idea. But for homes that have a need for more dispersion and more tolerance to boundry/room effects, there may be better approaches.

Hi Bigun,

Interresting input, I have to say I loved also your refreshing input elswhere :)

@ Nat....

Yes, I'm going to to build one in foam... so hybrid as a Tratricx !

I've been lurking for 2 or 3 years to do a diy ! Wanted to go OB (Juhazi work is a model for me) but my first wisch is more mid-bass speedy dynamic... Gedlee is american but if you have the money for 50% more tax : shippment + custom (a very nice fellow invited me in Swiss to listen to his Summa, but I declined as I knew I haven't the money for that... I lurked to the new little sister 12" but even too expensive for my money....and at least I believe the âssive parts could be improved, my experience is than the passive parts are not commodities in very good speaker but only in the bad one...if you like jazz and classical true events). Danley Sound is not existing in our little country, at least there is no way to listen one synergy in a PA shop ! Then I lurked to the Trynergy from xrq971 (like very much the easy foam concept even if the a sota wood design is certainly better). Saw off course Weltersys appealing work (too big if no caveman !) , superb Baslow one and also Speakerscott one ! For some reason choosed the funniest and cheaper one of the Trynergy, good concept according to me...

Last edited:
Art

I am sure that you know the company Adamson Acoustics - Brock Adamson is an old friend. Did he not incorporate two drivers feeding a common waveguide a decade or more ago? Would this not be prior art for the synergy horn?

I'm very rusty on the pro world as that's not my interest.
Earl,

I have not kept up on the Adamson time line and patents, other than remembering Brock had the first woven fiber cones I'd ever heard of back in the 1990s, as well as some humping band pass sub cabinets...
A decade ago would be well after the (late) 1990's Unity horns, Tom Danley's precursors to the "Synergy" brand name. DSL's "Synergy" horns started around 2004, IIRC.
Line arrays such as VDosc shared HF and mid drivers on the same horn around 1992, though the spacing between the two on the originals was more than 1/4 wavelength and caused off axis nulls in the crossover region.

Renkus Heinz has had their "co-entrant" horn designs for a long time.

Offset drivers sharing the same horn as the HF driver is a great way to DIY a cabinet with controlled dispersion, a virtual point source, and reduced distortion using inexpensive components.

As with any multi-way horn design, attention to the details of multiple drivers sharing a single horn makes the difference between "throw it on the bonfire" and "great".

Art

Turk,

Too late for me, I bought some 10F from Scanspeak (not a loss, can be used elswhere if recycling and the foam as well for yoga to the doggie !)

Havr you a link please for the Danley pattern ?? (SpeakerScott scolded me as I even didn't read the Synergy pattent !)

PS: I will add : if a little money, the JBL M2 clone work on an other bar is very interressant... but it's off topic !

Last edited:
not a fan of Geddes?

I'm rarely a fanboy or an anti-fan of anybody, Earl is not on either list :)

My point is that different people are looking for different things from their home music system. I expect this means that different approaches are optimal. I like the Synergy technology a lot - probably for the same reasons that others around here who like me haven't heard one but appreciate the elegance of the engineering.

I don't consider my house to be that different from the average house in North America and like or not I have room boundaries, hard floors and ceilings along with all sorts of furniture that make my house a nice place for me and my family. Rather than 'fight' against the environment by trying to control and/or eliminate room effects I acknowledge they will be part of the sound. I like to listen to music from different locations and do not have a place to sit and listen as part of a 'stereo triangle'. Therefore, I choose a single mono speaker. It's in an open-backed box. The sound I hear is consistent with the room, my brain receives no anomalous signals as if I were trying to create the ambience of another room (e.g. concert hall). I don't think a Synergy would work as well for my needs - although I'd sure love to try it but I'm not willing to DIY one from scratch to satisify my curiosity just yet.

My home theatre is another story, it's in the basement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.