SX-Amp and NX-Amp

Hi Guys,

I etched some boards for the sx based on the files that Alex attached in post #971

I am having some issues. I used the values on the screen print except for using MJL4281/4302 for the outputs and 2SA130-Y/2SA3423-Y for the drivers since I had them in the same grade. Also the screen print calls for a BC547C in the vbe so that is what I used.

First off, I had to put in a 2K trimmer just to get the bias down to 500mv across the pair of .33R resistors and that is with the pot set for 2K. I am attaching a schematic with the voltages Andrew said to expect and a in purple what I am getting. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Terry

Why is R21 connected to emitter Q5?

Terry

You need to measure ACROSS R35 and ACROSS R36 - then you should measure about 130 mV ( not 1.3 mV) ACROSS EACH RESISTOR

Then that drawing is very confusing. I don't get that from what is shown. I thought the brackets depicted measuring across a resistor. And even then the numbers are way off. One more thing. I have 800mv at the base of the outputs. You show it should be double that. Won't lowering the bias bring it down even more? Maybe my devices are bad. Do you recall what the HFE of your BCxxx devices were?

Thanks, Terry

Hi Andrew,

I don't think the vbe multiplier is working properly. I changed the 220 to 1k1 (handy). I left the 2k pot for now. Bias was at 398mv across the degens with pot maxed. With bias set to 460mv the pot is still at 1k2. I also have a bit of noise. I see 120mvac on the output with the input shorted. If I plug in a speaker I hear a pretty decent hum. On the scope I see a sine wave. something is just not right. I checked all of the transistors and see between .6V and .63V vbe so it looks like they are at least turned on. I'll keep checking but not much joy so far.

To your knowledge, has anyone else beside you built this amp? The sx is in the title but until now the thread has mostly been about the nx.

Thanks, Terry

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,

I don't think the vbe multiplier is working properly. I changed the 220 to 1k1 (handy). I left the 2k pot for now. Bias was at 398mv across the degens with pot maxed. With bias set to 460mv the pot is still at 1k2. I also have a bit of noise. I see 120mvac on the output with the input shorted. If I plug in a speaker I hear a pretty decent hum. On the scope I see a sine wave. something is just not right. I checked all of the transistors and see between .6V and .63V vbe so it looks like they are at least turned on. I'll keep checking but not much joy so far.

To your knowledge, has anyone else beside you built this amp? The sx is in the title but until now the thread has mostly been about the nx.

Thanks, Terry

Maybe I should have asked you before I proposed a change: was the problem with the 1k pot and the 220 Ohm resistor that you could not adjust it high enough?

(Yours will be the 4th build - I've built 3 - a proto and two fimal channels)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Then that drawing is very confusing. I don't get that from what is shown. I thought the brackets depicted measuring across a resistor. And even then the numbers are way off. One more thing. I have 800mv at the base of the outputs. You show it should be double that. Won't lowering the bias bring it down even more? Maybe my devices are bad. Do you recall what the HFE of your BCxxx devices were?

Thanks, Terry

From 0V to each of the output bases you should measure about 800-900 mV (0.33 x 700mA + 0.6V vbe). So total from base of NPN to base of PNP ~1.7V

Maybe I was not clear on that - sorry.

The brackets indeed do show measurements across resistors where this is applicable.

It is correctly connected.

It is measuring the voltage drop across the OPS emitter degen resistors and then controlling the bias to that the OPS current is ~700mA (so total ~1.4A for two pairs of output devices)

It is ok than, for 0.7A OPS current.
R27+R26 voltage is ~0.46V. Add ~0.6V Q1be.
So, R6+R20 ~0.6V and on R21 should be ~0.46V.
That is, (R27+R26)=(R21*(0.6/0.46))= ~1.3k.
Little bigger actually, because of Q3 base current.
Even there is resistor 220ohm, 1k pot is not sufficient.

Last edited:
I assumed Terrybadjustmrnt was that he had too much current.

I am travelling and will look at it tomorrow and post up.

He, he....... Terrybadjustmrnt should be my screen name. :D

I got it! It is playing lovely music. :cloud9:

I settled on a 2K trimmer and 1k1 for R20. A 1K pot would be maxed out and still maybe a little high. I'm not sure how you got away with the values you used. Maybe my 0R33 resistors measure different than yours. It is very difficult to get an accurate measurement of such low value resistors.

I've only had it playing for about 30 minutes so I can't tell how hot it will get but so far no problems. I'm using a 12-0-12vac transformer and getting about +-17Vdc rails. I've only listened to jazz so far but it is very clear and full. Good solid bass and clear highs. It sounds just as it should. Thanks for sticking with me and helping me get this working. It was worth it.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• sx playing some jazz.jpg
    sx playing some jazz.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 386
I've been listening to it all day. Beautiful. I have this huge 12-0, 12-0, 12-0, 12-0 1200VA transformer that I bought for the Aleph-X a few years ago. I've been looking for something good to use it on and I think this is it. It is giving me +-16.5V at full draw. I'm splitting the 4 outputs into two separate bridges feeding 4x22,000uF CRC filters. It is staying in Class A almost all the way to unity gain.

I recommend it!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been listening to it all day. Beautiful. I have this huge 12-0, 12-0, 12-0, 12-0 1200VA transformer that I bought for the Aleph-X a few years ago. I've been looking for something good to use it on and I think this is it. It is giving me +-16.5V at full draw. I'm splitting the 4 outputs into two separate bridges feeding 4x22,000uF CRC filters. It is staying in Class A almost all the way to unity gain.

I recommend it!

Fantastic. :D