SuSy T. PuckFo

Hmm, that LND150 hint is nice! I might add a few to my next parts order, or I could just pick some DN2535 ouf of my stash (bigger brother of LND150, still only 1 pF Crss typical).

I'd need a bit more than 24 VDC PSU though, as the amp will need to swing more AC than this on the input of the OPS.

Thanks!

I intended to use two DN2535/DN2540 for the CCS sections anyway, so to keep things easy and simple it makes sense to use a DN2535/DN2540 for the buffer, too. It's also nice that the DN will work fine at a lower voltage (unlike the STF3LN80K5). I'll have to change the biasing network a little bit to accommodate for the different Vgs, but that should be easy.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Mbrennwa,
If you are interested, I can send you a set of Aksa Lender front end boards that I’ll be using on my SuSyLu. They will swing cleanly up to 50Vpp. The preamp itself is all TH but the 55v PSU DCDC booster is SMT.
1001934d1638417649-aksa-lender-m2x-format-lufo-d65689fd-3fc4-4e21-ac2c-332e77015992-jpg

Here is typical FFT of output for 20Vpp:
646264d1510907453-aksas-lender-preamp-40vpp-output-smt-preamp-20vpp-7kohm-47r-degen-yes-matched-6k8carbon-fb-png

Last edited:
Here's some new and revised drafts (main circuit, PSU, CCS). Let me know what you think.

In the meantime I am waiting for feedback on my request for a custom made "double choke" load for the OPS...

Attachments

• SuSy_T_PuckFo_AMP.png
    SuSy_T_PuckFo_AMP.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 236
  • SuSy_T_PuckFo_PSUs.png
    SuSy_T_PuckFo_PSUs.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 239
  • SuSy_T_PuckFo_CCS.png
    SuSy_T_PuckFo_CCS.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 241
Hold on, I believe ZM was right... I just built a mockup of the buffer and realised that my brain got the Vgs of the buffer FET backwards. The FET gate needs to be more negative than the source. The gate of the buffer FET gate therefore needs a more negative voltage than the gate of the SIT. The bias network can therefore use GND instead of the +40 V connection.

Also, when I was playing with my mockup, I blew the buffer FET (twice). I wasn't particularly careful, and I didn't have the protection Zener on the buffer FET. This may explain why the buffer FET went kaputt, but it also got me thinking: do I need a second Zener with reversed polarity on the buffer gate?

I matched some Tokins and then built a first mockup of the output stage. It's alive!

Biasing worked out as expected, and I managed to increase the rail voltage to 32 V and idle current to 2 x 3.3 A, where the heatsinks were still way cooler than in some of my previous amps.

Some first quick measurements are promising. I could get some very clean 50 W into 8 Ohm, and the onset of visible clipping on the scope was somewhere at maybe 90 W.

When I switched to music, the music peak voltage recorded on the scope was 30 V. The workshop dummy speaker made some nice music, so I lost interest in the measurements. It can go much louder than I'd ever want in a normal listening session.

Attachments

• 20211213_174020.jpg
    20211213_174020.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 170
  • THF51_CURVES_21_THF51_CURVES_23-c.jpg
    THF51_CURVES_21_THF51_CURVES_23-c.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 151
7V5 or 8V2 will do

SITs and VFets are , at least to my knowledge, sensitive to excess negative gate voltage

for positive - newer read and never seen protection implemented
Maybe even to a negative bias only, i.e. the drain not yet charged/connected to Vb…
  • I puzzle about this phenomenon, one of my SITs that has gate current already, does not like such a situation.
  • does it leak from source to gate at that moment? Then I should insert a diode at the source. A SIC diode, for the Sick SIT:(