• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Same issue I ran into when installing Roon Bridge. Se my post 1919

Thanks for pointing:).
Most helpful was the little script from the last post of THIS thread.
I managed to update libc to 2.24 and after that the newest squeezelite works fine.
Code:
root@botic:~# /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6
GNU C Library (Debian GLIBC 2.24-5) stable release version 2.24, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 6.2.0 20161010.
Available extensions:
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
        Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
libc ABIs: UNIQUE
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.debian.org/Bugs/>.

Last edited:
I found the answer on the Roon forum. Something called glibc needs to be upgraded. Skybridge posted a link to a script that will do that. I now have it working as a Roon endpoint. It worked flawlessly all day yesterday so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

So, essentially to install Roon Bridge on Botic;
(1) To run the easy installation script from Roon, you need to install curl and bzip2.
(2) Upgrade glibc. See post by Skywalker. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonbridge-on-beaglebone-black-solved/9657/4

Sorry for making a comment on your old post. I occasionally use roon bridge on my BBB-Hermes/Cronus connected to my B3SE, that is running on a debian-stretch system with botic driver. You might want to give it a try.

Installation was quite easy. Make a working SD of debian-stretch from here and install botic driver with adding dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb to /boot/uEnv.txt. Then download and expand the Roon Bridge package in any directory you like. If the debian-stretch with botic driver is running well, you'll see Roon Bridge work well without problems. No need for glibc tweaking.

Regards,

Can anyone please guide me or at least point me to instructions on how to boticized volumio. I have been reading this thread for quite sometime and have to admit that I am a bit lost. I was able to install botic v4 into my BBB, flashed to emmc, and upgrade to v5. Tried to use ympd, manually mount my NAS, and got music out. Now, I would like to try Volumio, and I see some people have successfully used it, but I could not find a clear guide or instructions on how to do it. Can someone please help me?

Regards

Can anyone please guide me or at least point me to instructions on how to boticized volumio. I have been reading this thread for quite sometime and have to admit that I am a bit lost. I was able to install botic v4 into my BBB, flashed to emmc, and upgrade to v5. Tried to use ympd, manually mount my NAS, and got music out. Now, I would like to try Volumio, and I see some people have successfully used it, but I could not find a clear guide or instructions on how to do it. Can someone please help me?

Regards

I've never used Volumio but as I quick searched new version 2.0 for BBB is going to appear in next few days.
I would wait and after installation of new version I would try scripts prepared by Miero in the boticize to add botic to the new Volumio.

Last edited:
I've never used Volumio but as I quick searched new version 2.0 for BBB is going to appear in next few days.
I would wait and after installation of new version I would try scripts prepared by Miero in the boticize to add botic to the new Volumio.

Wow, ok, good to know, thank you, I will wait. Just wondering, I have used volumio before and quite like it, but I see people here used squeezelite, I am wondering what the difference are between the two. For me simplicity is what I like, but good access to my music on my nas server or a portable usb hard drive. and thats it.

Best Regards,
Alex

bern, are you sure that Volumio 2.0 will be available for BBB too?

I'm not able to find the their plans.

BTW: boticize scripts are too old and they needs to be updated

miero, thanks for the update, I guess, I will have to wait for the updated scripts. I will, however, try to use the old scripts with the current version of volumio and see if it still works.

bern, are you sure that Volumio 2.0 will be available for BBB too?

I'm not able to find the their plans.

BTW: boticize scripts are too old and they needs to be updated

Hi miero,
See this announcement:
https://volumio.org/volumio-2-stable-release/
and at he end:
Volumio version 2 is available now in the download page or via the OTA Updater. We’ll first release Raspberry PI and X86 versions, in the following days we’ll also update all other platforms.

BBB is on our roadmap, and since we need to have a suitable kernel to start porting Volumio on BBB... I think that starting with Miero's would be the best way! (I got loooots of requests and I've always been intrigued to try it..).

That being said, the way our dev process is structured is: we take care of some devices like x86 and pi, and we request contributions for the others. So if someone is willing to help us on this, we could start even tomorrow.

We could do:
- Taking as examples the repositories for odroid
https://github.com/volumio/platform-odroid
- Creating a tar containing kernel, modules, uboot and the .defconfig (to allow others to replicate the kernel we'll make)
- The kernel must be > 3.18 since overlayfs is a mandatory requisite for volumio to run (alternatively we need to backport overlayfs)
- In the meanwhile, I could create the scripts to build the rootfs and relative image

What do you say?

If you have a time you can waste, you can try my experiment to port Volumio 2.0 from rPI to BBB. BIG NOTICE, it is destined to be non-supported. You need a 4GB SD card to test this.

After BBB boots with it, try to open the web interface [let's hope it will start] and switch off run-time conversion to DSD (BBB is slow for it).

Update the clk_44k1/clk_48k parameters via SSH if needed.

Try to load music [or install Spotify plugin] and try if it plays.

SD Image can be found here: Index of /botic7-rc1/volumio

----
Ultra brief details what have I done:
- use BBB bootloader from debian and extracted volumio data to ext4 fs
- removed their kernel and updater(!!!)
- changed its /etc/fstab to root be writable
- added botic7-rc1 kernel + larger buffer for DSD mod

I've prepared the bbb scripts on the repo,
so you can clone it and start building the images (I think it will ease up your work...)

There is a new repo for the bbb platform files:
https://github.com/volumio/platform-bbb

But during development you can just move over the files in the script without using it...

You can see the new scripts for bbb:
https://github.com/volumio/Build/commit/18a144fb73b775e87d36a7441cfc3b7187b845a5

They should be pretty straightforwarding, but I've added some comments inside to guide you a bit...

After you've set up your dev environment (I suggest a debian one, but also ubuntu will work but you need to edit multistrap a bit, see the readme).
just launch :

./build.sh -b arm -d bbb -v 2.001

Let me know!

mi