• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

I'm playing a testtone, just left OR right channel. And I can hear it on both speakers at any time, no matter which "remap input" in Alsa I select.
I didn't do any modifications on the Cronus. So there is a flaw.

Again: (This is not in your direction, Miero.)
A manual, or a short reference put in the thread with a link on the first page, or even a real manual, would be so nice! And it is also necessary!

I have each a 0-Ohm resistor for R5, R6, and R7, as somewhere mentioned in the appropriate thread. R1-R4 are not soldered in. Is this right for a B3 (not SE) and a pure stereo out?

Thank you so much for your help!
Matthias

PS:
Perhaps not so much at the moment! ;)

Last edited:
I used testtones I "created" with audacity, so it's easy to check. I play them with mpd.
I got the same result with your command. :(

more info:
I forgot:
When I mute DAC0 and DAC1 in alsamixer, everything is muted. As I understand, the one half of the 8 internal DACs should be the combined left channel, the other half the right.

Last edited:
If you set the Input Remaping to 12125656, then only DAC1,2,5,6 inputs are used.

Maybe you have tied left+right channel in non-standard way. Try following to test it:
- set Input Remapping to 12345678 (no remaping)
- set all DACx volumes to max
- play 8 channel test: speaker-test -c 8

In a normal stereo configuration only 0,1 channels should play the sound. The R1-R7 resistors on the Cronus selects the HW channel mapping. Which one did you solder?

Miero, my hero! :)

Checked R5-R7
R6 has strangely 39Ohms, but R5 and R7 are spot-on 33Ohm (within a few 1/10).

Speaker-test with 8 channels bring:
Just 0 (Front Left) and 4 (Center) give noises, on both speakers.

Settings:
Remap Inputs: 12345678
Remap Output: q6true
[DPLL: 1x Auto, DPLL Phase: Normal, De-emphasis: Bypass, External (100%), Fir Rolloff: Fast, IIR Bandwidth: 50k, Jitter Reduction: Use, MCLK Notch: No Notch, Oversampling: Use, SPDIF Source: 1, True Mono: Off]

more info:
I tried out all Remap Outputs available and run the speakertest:
All gave the same results, function wise, not audible.
All pseudo had extrem noise there, the true settings are sounding normally.
And every time just channel 0 (Front Left) and 4 (Center), like mentioned above.

Last edited:
Hi,
I wanted to evaluate HQplayer upsampling for my NonOverSampling DAC so I installed this Debian Jessie from Ray's image (thank you nautiboy:)) which has botic and NAA (Network Audio Adapter for HQplayer) built in.
For my DAC i need L and R channel splited so I use ALSA output called 'botic-split':
Code:
pcm.botic-split {

type route;
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
    slave.channels 4;
    ttable.1.0 1;
    ttable.0.1 1;
    ttable.1.2 1;
    ttable.0.3 1;

}

ctl.botic-split {

type hw;
    card 0;

}
How to select 'botic-split' as output for Network Audio Adapter or how to make 'botic-split' default botic output?

Second issue:
Is Network Audio Adapter allows connecting HQplayer and botic from different subnet?
eg HQplayer connected to LAN and botic connected to wifi
TIA,

Try add following lines into .asounrd:
pcm.!default pcm.botic-split;
ctl.!default ctl.botic-split;

I'm not sure if "-" is valid character for name, if that does not work try replace it with "_".
Thank you very much miero:)
I've tried several times, several settings and not able to play both R L using HQplyer (only left chanel plays). I think that currently HQplayer's Network Audio Adapter is a limitation since I constantly see in the HQplayer setings only one 'default:Botic' as a device.
linux shows me following list of pcm devices:
Code:
root@arm:~# aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
botic-split
default:CARD=Botic
    Botic,
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Botic
    Botic,
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
    Botic,
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
    Botic,
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
    Botic,
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
    Botic,
    Hardware device with all software conversions
So i am staing with squeezelie (in which I can select output device).
I wanted to test upsampling functionality. I compare playback of 16/44.1kHz with upsampling (squeezelite's SOX) and without upsampling and pure NOS sounds better to me (even with alases - without digital filtration). I was curious how HQplayer's upsampling sounds. Well, maybe another time :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
bern;4833722How to select 'botic-split' as output for Network Audio Adapter or how to make 'botic-split' default botic output? [/QUOTE said:
Hi bern,

Simply add an exclamation point before the plug name to make it the ALSA default - there can be only one such plug. Like:

pcm.!botic-split {

I can't participate in testing now - traveling with only my phone. Hola de Buenos Aires!

Frank

Hi bern,

Simply add an exclamation point before the plug name to make it the ALSA default - there can be only one such plug. Like:

pcm.!botic-split {

I can't participate in testing now - traveling with only my phone. Hola de Buenos Aires!

Frank
Thanks for replay Frank:)
Before you wrote I had done just like you propose: exclamation mark before the plug name. Unfortunately seems like Network Audio Adapter not see new default pcm output and chooses
default:CARD=Botic
Have a nice trip:)
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=

Last edited:
Bern, can you post a screen grab of your HQ Player settings; page 17 of the HQ Player manual refers.

I have no problem playing stereo (PCM and DSD) from HQ Player via an NAA (Beaglebone/Botic). I don't understand why you are trying to use split, in Alsa?

Also, I have previously used two Ethernet cards in my HQPlayer workstation, one for normal household network (to connect to my NAS and wireless via the usual home router) and the other a dedicated connection to the NAA device.

Ray

Hi Ray,
> Bern, can you post a screen grab of your HQ Player settings
Ofcourse. I'm attaching a screen.

>I don't understand why you are trying to use split, in Alsa?
My DAC is dual balanced mono and consist of 4xPCM1704 chips each for L+, L-, R+, R- Usually PCM1704 are fed by digital filters chip like DF1706. DF1706 makes oversampling, splits DATA signal into L and R channel and converts input data format to right justified RJ (acceptable for PCMs chips). Since my design is NonOverSampling I do not apply digital filters chip DF1706 but instead data format converting to RJ as well as data spiting (for R and L channel) and eventually upsampling is done by the botic driver and player software.

>Also, I have previously used two Ethernet cards in my HQPlayer workstation, one for normal household network (to connect to my NAS and wireless via the usual home router) and the other a dedicated connection to the NAA device.
So you have the HQplayer and BBB in the same subnet, right?
I tried today connect HQplayer (LAN) to BBB (WIFI) but without success.
I can connect both devices only when they both use WIFI (I haven't checked LAN). I suspect that the 'broadcaster' and 'receiver' device must be in the same subnet...
Regards,
B

Attachments

• Sck01.jpg
    Sck01.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 255
Hi Ray,
> Bern, can you post a screen grab of your HQ Player settings
Ofcourse. I'm attaching a screen.

Your HQPlayer settings are what I would expect to see.

>I don't understand why you are trying to use split, in Alsa?
My DAC is dual balanced mono and consist of 4xPCM1704 chips each for L+, L-, R+, R- Usually PCM1704 are fed by digital filters chip like DF1706. DF1706 makes oversampling, splits DATA signal into L and R channel and converts input data format to right justified RJ (acceptable for PCMs chips). Since my design is NonOverSampling I do not apply digital filters chip DF1706 but instead data format converting to RJ as well as data spiting (for R and L channel) and eventually upsampling is done by the botic driver and player software.

Ah, now I understand. I am feeding a Buffalo 3SE DAC. If what you desire is feasible you are in good hands with miero, I have no experience of such configuration. Sorry

So you have the HQplayer and BBB in the same subnet, right?

Yes.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ray

I've thought a bit about the test sound with 8 channels. Channel 0 is playing for the left channel (see post 1892), and channel 4, which is oddly named center channel.
So, if alsamixer is right, then there is something mixed up, as I should hear just the right channel.
And, that I can hear both speakers when the test sound for the center channel plays is logical.
So for me right channel and center channel got somehow mixed up.