Supply chain broken?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funny how different peoples tastes can be, I hate thick textured sweet mouth feel beers and love high acid 100 IBU IPA's and Belgians like Cantillon. I have never in my life eaten grapefruit any way but plain, same for yogurt. OTOH I can't stand Aussie Shiraz the way they make it today.

I actually found that I hate some beers that are just a little bit hoppy as opposed to none, but I'm ok when they go full bore with super high IBUs. Not sure why, I particularly dislike Sam Adams Boston Lager. Maybe it's the variety? I'm fine with most wheat beers, porters, or stouts too, though.

Very correct; that is why we generally use 70% ethanol (same rules apply) in the lab for general decontamination. In fact, we go through more ethanol for decon than any other reagent. That's also why Purell is 70% ethanol as well. That said, the necessity of water for better membrane permeation is more of a consideration for molds, fungi, and bacteria. Viruses are so tiny and fragile in comparison that the added water usually isn't as necessary.

Except for Norovirus :(.

Purists should realize that a traditional IPA shouldn't be anywhere close to 70-80 IBU
If you are speaking of the original pale ales, I agree. India Pale Ale on the other hand was made to survive long ocean voyages without spoiling. Hence the need for higher alcohol and hops as both are antibacterial agents. The side benefit of the long voyage was the aging time. From I what I understand, it was a better product once it reached India.

I guess we have strayed off course here in this thread. I apologize.

The side benefit of the long voyage was the aging time.

Didn't turn out too good for Fletcher Christian!

Back to topic -- my sister sells oilfield tubular goods, valves, structural elements etc. Only one US company in her portfolio will accept Chinese steel. Word coming back is that some of the Chinese mills were shut pretty quickly and have suffered extensive damage.

Podcast on the long term implications for Chinese industry: Why the coronavirus could send China’s economy back to the ‘80s: Big Brains podcast with Chang-Tai Hsieh | University of Chicago News

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
And to know that it is all self-inflicted. Hint: how many have died from Corona, how many in the last year from flu?
We as a race are pretty stupid.

Jan

Attachments

• flu.PNG
    flu.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 156
...argument with the foreman...told him he looks better in a hard hat than in a tin foil hat...got laid off once again...
I have a relative who constantly boasts about his own intelligence, and he did the same sort of thing, so many times, to so many of his college teachers, that he never graduated. There was always enough pissed-off teachers who made sure he flunked.

I always wondered about this dude and his self-proclaimed intelligence. If he was so smart, how come you he never seemed to realise that humiliating those with control over his destiny was a bad idea? :scratch:
...3 months would be a long time to go without a paycheque...
I've been worrying about that, too. I live within my means and have a small emergency fund, but three months with no income at all would be a big challenge. Especially as we're also helping to support an elderly relative in the USA.

There are now reportedly eleven deaths in Washington State, and 70,000 known coronavirus cases, 31,000 of which were reported in the last 24 hours: Coronavirus: Washington cases increase to 70; death toll increases to 11

That's either a very alarming growth rate, or alarmingly poor detection prior to Wednesday. Not good news, either way. Viruses don't respect international borders, and this part of BC is minutes from Washington state, so I expect coronavirus cases will explode in BC very soon, if it's not already happening.

Yes, 'flu kills more people every year, and there is certainly some unnecessary paranoia around this outbreak. But when the biologists and epidemiologists tell you that this is considerably more serious than the 'flu, you know it's not just all unnecessary paranoia.

-Gnobuddy

And to know that it is all self-inflicted. Hint: how many have died from Corona, how many in the last year from flu?

Jan

That's not a good argument. Take the current CFR of 3.4% and then infect the world with the current R0 and see what you get. The entire world is immunologically naive to this virus and it is appears to be spreading much more effectively than Influenza A. Even if 3.4% is off, it is orders of magnitude greater than the seasonal flu.

Jan
Problem is that flu is stable/mature.
Way too many will die from flu, but about same as last year and probably next year too, while Corona is **exponentially** growing.

Just give it (a short) time and check again.

For an apples to apples comparison, ask again in one year from now, and compare full 2020 flu to Coronavirus deaths.
Hope not but we might get an ugly surprise.

Add to that 2 not so minor points:

1) Flu mortality rate 0.1% ; Coronavirus 6% .

60 (sixty) times as much.

2) Flu expansion/transmission factor 1.6
Coronavirus: 2.6

does not look like a BIG difference until you notice these are the respective multiplication factors in 2 different exponential curves.

Last edited:

Jan

The alternative is for us basically ignore it and to do the bare minimum to prevent spread, as we do yearly with the flu. Why don't you try that and then count the dead.

It baffles me how little people believe science and are actively antagonistic towards its progress. As an immunologist in a large biomedical campus, I often have to wade through protestors, have my car vandalized pretty much monthly, have received multiple death threats, and was hit with a 2x4 once with scripture written on it. But when the s""t hits the fan, who does everyone run to and then immediately blame when everything doesn't work out perfectly? If you want evidence that "We as a race are pretty stupid", I can't think of a better example.

It baffles me how little people believe science and are actively antagonistic towards its progress.
I'm truly sorry that you have to deal with what you described.

I went to the USA three decades ago to continue my higher education - and I was shell-shocked to find out that this nation that prided itself on the quality of its scientists, was also home to hordes of the most rabid, ignorant, science-haters I had ever seen. How could it be possible that a nation that saw itself as a scientific leader was also so backward as to reject the teaching of evolution - the backbone of biology - in schools?

I never found an answer, but I did find my way out of that very troubled country. If you can't beat 'em, don't join 'em, leave.

-Gnobuddy

I always wondered about this dude and his self-proclaimed intelligence. If he was so smart, how come you he never seemed to realise that humiliating those with control over his destiny was a bad idea? :scratch:

-Gnobuddy

I don't think Rob was humiliated. I went over to his place a couple of weeks ago to listen to his Marantz vacuum tube receiver and sample his homegrown Kosher Kush. No hard feelings, great stereo and killer weed.

I also pointed out, after we'd burned one, that if there was a race of giants the inhabited the earth a couple of thousand years ago we'd be able to find traces of that in our DNA just as we have for Neanderthals, Denisovan or that other race of humans that I can't remember the name of. And why would the government try to hide evidence of a race of giants? I stand by my tin foil hat comment! Besides the Audi dealership was almost done, layoffs were coming...so what if it was a week or two early? Work comes, work goes. There is always an other building going up...

The alternative is for us basically ignore it and to do the bare minimum to prevent spread, as we do yearly with the flu. Why don't you try that and then count the dead.
What we did in 1347 (no other option available, since Biology was practically nonexistent) .
The dead amounted to 20 Million in a total European population of 60 Million.
Plague stopped by itself ... once it run out of "customers" that is.
Sad by how you were treated and doubly sad because it was not in a slum or whatever but in an ___University___ ; supposedly the backbone and reserve of Intellect

...race of giants...government...hide evidence...
Tinfoil hat material for sure. :)

There were a number of gigantic prehistoric mammals - mebbe your boss/bud would be consoled by learning about the indricotherium and other giant extinct mammals? The 20 Biggest Prehistoric Mammals

Now, it's little known that there was a race of tiny humans, only about an inch tall, and American Air Force personnel found survivors on a lonely Pacific island during WWII. A few micro-people were brought back home, and the American government is now raising them in secret labs; they're used to spy upon and infiltrate the enemy where normal-sized humans cannot easily go.

The government *hates* people who know about the cover-up of the prehistoric giant humans, so the government often spies on those people in their homes using the little 1" spies. Your buddy Rob's house, garden, and front porch are probably all occupied by tiny government spies.

(There, tell that story to Rob, and see if you can get him to swallow it! :D )

-Gnobuddy

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Problem is that flu is stable/mature.
Way too many will die from flu, but about same as last year and probably next year too, while Corona is **exponentially** growing.

Just give it (a short) time and check again.

For an apples to apples comparison, ask again in one year from now, and compare full 2020 flu to Coronavirus deaths.
Hope not but we might get an ugly surprise.

Add to that 2 not so minor points:

1) Flu mortality rate 0.1% ; Coronavirus 6% .

60 (sixty) times as much.

2) Flu expansion/transmission factor 1.6
Coronavirus: 2.6

does not look like a BIG difference until you notice these are the respective multiplication factors in 2 different exponential curves.

The high death ratio may be due to under-reporting of infected persons. Too early to call.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

It baffles me how little people believe science and are actively antagonistic towards its progress. As an immunologist in a large biomedical campus, I often have to wade through protestors, have my car vandalized pretty much monthly, have received multiple death threats, and was hit with a 2x4 once with scripture written on it. But when the s""t hits the fan, who does everyone run to and then immediately blame when everything doesn't work out perfectly? If you want evidence that "We as a race are pretty stupid", I can't think of a better example.

I believe in science, I believe in progress, and I am glad we have professionals like you and very much appreciate what you are doing.
Parents that refuse to have their kids vaccinated are, in my view, sadly mislead.

Some of your colleagues actually have said that there may come a situation where quarantining individuals becomes untenable and we should just let it run out with general measures to limit contagion as much as possible. Much as we do with the flu.

Too early to call I think.

Jan

Gonobuddy, please do not come back.
No worries, I'm riding away on the back of a giant human being, following a chemtrail in the sky, made by a secret government spy-plane injecting chemicals into the clouds to control our minds and modify our weather. :D
vaccine court - Bing
There was a famous American law-suit over coffee that a woman spilled in her own lap ( Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia ), and then blamed McDonald's for the self-inflicted burns. Lawsuits exist over all sorts of completely idiotic nonsense; the existence of a lawsuit is hardly evidence for the presence of sanity or logic.

While I am sorry for the elderly lady in the McDonald's incident who suffered the burns, I think it's reprehensible that she tried to make millions off her injuries by suing a rich corporation. She mishandled her coffee, spilled it over herself, and caused her own burns. Since she was neither an infant nor mentally incompetent, she is the only one responsible for her burns. That's life for adults - we make mistakes, we pay for them.

I once had an airplane attendant spill an entire cup of boiling hot coffee on me. It ruined a white shirt and a pair of pants, and burned patches of my stomach and right leg enough to leave me in pain for a few days. Whom did I sue? Nobody. The poor woman spilled the coffee by accident, and I might have cost her her job if I even mentioned it to the airline, so I didn't. Stuff happens; life doesn't always go as you hope. That doesn't give anyone the moral right to sue the nearest person or corporation in the hope of getting rich.

Back to vaccinations: have you any idea of the the horrors that millions of unfortunate young people routinely suffered in the days BEFORE vaccines existed? When I was in elementary school, there were still a few high-school seniors in my school who had been born before the polio vaccine was universally given to all babies; they were bent and deformed, walked slowly, with canes, with terribly twisted bodies, with bones bent in ways no human bones were supposed to bend, always in pain. I still remember seeing them, and being horrified at what they had to suffer, for the rest of their lives. Polio was an unbelievably cruel and horrific scourge that destroyed millions of lives around the world, until polio vaccines arrived.

And polio was just one of the many medical horrors that destroyed young lives, or claimed them entirely, before there were vaccines to fend most of them off.

We all owe enormous thanks to scientists for the vaccines they invented. They have saved millions of lives, and enormously reduced the amount of human suffering on this planet. Nowadays parents in most developed countries actually expect all their babies to grow up to adulthood, instead of expecting to live through the agony of having a few babies die from polio, tetanus, rubella, whooping-cough, tuberculosis, mumps, diphtheria, chickenpox, small pox, and other killer diseases I (and most other lay people) have forgotten entirely about, thanks to vaccines, and the scientists that created them.

-Gnobuddy

I worked in a research facility here in Hamilton. We had to hide the fact that we had animals that we performed experiments on. Nothing compared to what you've gone through.

As for doing the bare minimum and then counting the dead, I'm sure that's essentially what's going to happen in some less developed countries. I'm not sure that's what we do with the flu though. The government provides free flu shots every year and lots of people (myself included) take advantage of that.

When I was in elementary school, there were still a few high-school seniors in my school who had been born before the polio vaccine was universally given to all babies; they were bent and deformed, walked slowly, with canes, with terribly twisted bodies, with bones bent in ways no human bones were supposed to bend, always in pain. I still remember seeing them, and being horrified at what they had to suffer, for the rest of their lives. Polio was an unbelievably cruel and horrific scourge that destroyed millions of lives around the world, until polio vaccines arrived.

-Gnobuddy

Our former prime minister Jean Chrétien, who led Canada from 1993 to 2003, had a case of polio as a child that left him deaf in his right ear.
So did Paul Martin, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Donald Sutherland. If you look online you'll see it was quite common at one time. Thankfully that's all in the past now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.