Super Regulator

@RickRay have you tried this, it's from the original Walt Jung article Improved_PN_Regs from Audio Electronic 4/00. Maybe only C2 can help.

Attachments

• Improved_PN_Regs.png
    Improved_PN_Regs.png
    698.6 KB · Views: 153
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What is important is the current that the current source can deliver to the pass device.
With a pass transistor Hfe conservatively at 100, and Iout 100mA, the max base current required is 1mA.
But if you don't want to cut it close, set the cs current at say 5mA. That is measured by measuring the voltage across the cs emitter resistor.
Divide that by the Re value and you've gort the current. Ohms Law and all that.
The current through the LED should be more than the required base current for the cs transistor.
2.3mA through the LED is fine.

Jan

With the super regulator is it better to leave the PSU ground floating or connected to earth? If to earth I suppose this would take place at the Super Regulator output ground? (The chassis - a Galaxy - is itself earthed at the incoming mains connection (220/230V line)).
Note: As the regulator has two ground outputs I've just linked them across at the output as the PCB the PSU is supplying has just the standard 3 input terminal -ve/0V/+ve

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The psu ground (gnd output of the supperreg) is connected to signal ground automagically when you connect it to the circuit. That's all the ground that is needed - anything more will cause ground loops.
The chassis can be connected to protective Earth from the mains but that is totally separate from any signal or supply ground.
Look at the psu output ground and signal ground as just another net, nothing special.

Jan

So managed to assemble + - 15 super regulator on a DIY shop boards, used all recommended components (AD825, lm329, R6 1100ohm). To test it I made linear power supply from 15V transformer it gives me 18-18.2V input to the super regulator. Regulator gives out 13,2V, I measure at the lm329 only 6.1V. Did I screw something up, or is 18V not enough? (in the dac I plan to put super regulator in it will get 25V)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So managed to assemble + - 15 super regulator on a DIY shop boards, used all recommended components (AD825, lm329, R6 1100ohm). To test it I made linear power supply from 15V transformer it gives me 18-18.2V input to the super regulator. Regulator gives out 13,2V, I measure at the lm329 only 6.1V. Did I screw something up, or is 18V not enough? (in the dac I plan to put super regulator in it will get 25V)
Do you have the sense lines hooked up? If just testing the regulator, you need to run a wire from each sense terminal to each output terminal, + to +, - to -.

Do you have the sense lines hooked up? If just testing the regulator, you need to run a wire from each sense terminal to each output terminal, + to +, - to -.
Yes, I have. Just had another thought and will test it tomorrow. My Multimeter might be faulty :cautious:. It is good UNI-T meter, but just checked AC, and it gives just 198V instead of 220V. Also 15V transformer with rectifier should give at least 20-22V and not 18, so Superregulator might be working good, just my meter is off...