Subwoofer Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
For the last year I derived my horn sub using a Dayton SPA250. Lately the SPA died (transformer) and now I am looking for a replacement.
The horn has 2 Lab 12 driver wired in series.
I was wondering what you guys are using?
Any recommendation for a budget Amp?
thanks

Hello,

I am using the new Crown XLS 2502 DriveCore 2 for subwoofer use in my theater. The 2502 maybe overkill for your needs and its expensive. But this one should work
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore 2 Power Amplifier 2 x 525W at 4 Ohms. All of the amps in this series has adjustable input sensitivity, 1.4 volt or .775 volt. So you could use the LFE from a receiver without needing anything else in the signal chain. I can't comment on fan noise as of yet, I don't think that it has turned on yet.

Regards,
Matt

Thank you all for your help.
Could someone shed some light on the calculation of SPL and electric power consumption?
For my horn sub, Hornresp predicts about 110db (1 w 1 m). This should be pretty loud.
In that condition how does one calculate the electric power needed?

GM

Joined 2003
370 ft^2 is a little smaller than my room and 110 dB/W/m + some room gain is pretty loud, though to hit the 115 dB/listening position THX cinema reference up around 80 Hz with a little dynamic headroom will require another 5-10 W, so using one of the [so far] recommended prosound amps for other than its DSP is incredible 'overkill', i.e. a little 20 W chip amp is all you need.

Every 3 dB is a doubling of power, so +3 dB = 2 W, +6 = 4 W, +9 = 8 W, etc., and since sound power rolls off at up to 6 dB/doubling of distance, then 2 m = drops down to as low as 104 dB, 4 m = 98 dB, etc., though a typical HIFI/HT room usually limits it to 3 dB or less.
GM

Last edited:
For my horn sub, Hornresp predicts about 110db (1 w 1 m). This should be pretty loud. In that condition how does one calculate the electric power needed?

Hornresp does it for you - see attachments.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 140
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.