sub build advice,,,much searching done already

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After building 5 tri-trix speakers so far (2 vented mains, 3 sealed) I have decided to build a sub. I debated over diy and store bought for a while, but I think that It would be "off-balance" to NOT build the sub as well. my room is 13'6" wide and and 22' long, 60/40 music/HT. My big dilemma is (probably the same for many) Use a tried and tested build plan or attempt to select the best components in my budget ($400 for sub and amp) and do my own design? I have never designed any speaker build. The tri trix was very nice due to the "package deal" from PE and the spot on by Curt C.,,,,,I'm leaning towards just going with a already "tested design" Guess maybe some reassurance would sway my decision. There is a design that I spotted after much searching that caught my eye.
IG/COF: 12" Titanic Subwoofer Plans

The price is right,,the plans seem solid,,and it seems as though folks liked the results,plus the parts are still available,,,,,,,,,however,,,,,,,the thread that the build is from seems to have ended 3 years ago and it doesn't seem that I would have any luck in contacting anyone involved with the thread...
I have scoured the web looking for plans that fell within my budget,,,,,,and I am, for some reason,,reluctant to decide on a plan for fear that i'll stumble upon a "better" design and end up with buyers remorse.
Sooooooooo,,,,like a child I guess more than anything I am asking for some re assurance in the plan above,,,or to be pointed in a different direction.
I look forward to some guidance.
Oh,,,I am pretty skilled at building and woodworking,,have tools,,and get discounted materials,,so the $400 would be for components only.

Attachments

• 20130402_193054.jpg
    20130402_193054.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 20130402_193110.jpg
    20130402_193110.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 20130402_193124.jpg
    20130402_193124.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 318
So I've decided to go with my own design. I am looking at the Dayton ultimax 12 driver. Now my concern is that whole ported/sealed decision. Pe websites offers a recommendation for both,,, in bass box pro it recommends sealed. Not expecting much advice here due to lack of interest from my original post.

Maybe I'm off somewhere but I certainly don't get the 2 cubic feet = .7qtc

going off the published specs, I would think it would want a much larger box.

Anyways you mention the$400 price tag, but you didn't mention a size restriction.... certainly bigger is better when it comes to subwoofers. Any size restrictions?

No size restrictions,,, i do have the spot up front where I would like to put it, but 20" would be the max width there, so if I had to build "up" maybe. My wife is cool with me putting it where it sounds best,,,, i would prefer to design/build a box that best suits the driver/amp and listening needs and then if I have to re arrange the living room around the sub,, so be it. I'm looking at the ultimax 12" and the bash 500.

I had written to parts express tech support to ask about my situation and got this responseThese subwoofers shine in sealed enclosures so that is what*I will recommend. This woofer in 3 cubic feet sealed with 500 watts will be substantial.
When I ran the ultimax through the bass box pro software,,, it also said sealed was ideal,,, the initial dimensions that bass box showed for a sealed enclosure had a different cubic feet than the 3 that Pe says,,, it also showed only an 8 1/2" depth before doing any adjustments myself,,,, i did not manually enter my specs and just load the specs of the ultimax from the bass box database.

I had written to parts express tech support to ask about my situation and got this responseThese subwoofers shine in sealed enclosures so that is what*I will recommend. This woofer in 3 cubic feet sealed with 500 watts will be substantial.
When I ran the ultimax through the bass box pro software,,, it also said sealed was ideal,,, the initial dimensions that bass box showed for a sealed enclosure had a different cubic feet than the 3 that Pe says,,, it also showed only an 8 1/2" depth before doing any adjustments myself,,,, i did not manually enter my specs and just load the specs of the ultimax from the bass box database.

Hi,

FYI:An alternative moving f-3dB more than 10 Hz down if compared to a closed:

b:)

Attachments

• Dayton Audio UM12-22_OD-TL.jpg
    Dayton Audio UM12-22_OD-TL.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 243
My mistake. I listed tri-fold dimensions instead of double fold. The enclosure is 41.25" H x 14" W x 29.75" D.

This looks interesting to me,,,,,,,before I got the recent responses I had been trying to figure out just a vented enclosure with a slotted port. I am completely ready for the challenge of build a box such as this double fold. the single fold's long dimension would be hard to place anywhere in my living room. so now,,although I love the additional options,,I am still left with the "what to do" issue. I am confident in my building skills. Being an amateur,,I am unsure about how to weigh the options,,I have the amateur hope of building a sub that "sounds/performs" well for what I use it for,,,but unfortunately, don't yet have have the knowledge/understanding yet of being able to specifically describe the details of what that means in technical terms.(if that makes any sense),,which also makes my decision making in the matter frustrating. .
If you were to get the ultimax 12 and the bash 500 amp,,what would you do? why? Thankfully,,,MDF is fairly cheap,,,so worst thing would be having to rebuild an enclosure,

I think what I may do is,, order my components,,,build a basic vented or sealed enclosure,,,,and then work out out the more "complicated" enclosures,,,,Problem I often have is lack of patience,,,,which drives my wife crazy,,,since I decide a week or two ago that I was going to build a sub,,,I have not watched a single movie,,,and have it in my head that I don't want to watch any until I have the sub built,,,same thing happened when I built my other speakers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway,,,,,,I can build a simple enclosure while short on patience but the more elaborate enclosures don't look like they should be rushed. Like I said,,MDF is pretty cheap,,
please tell me more about anything that an amateur like me ought to know.

Certainly the two proposed builds are a little bigger than a simple sealed enclosure. And if that's an issue than sealed would probably be your best bet. However they aren't all that complex to build, no angles or crazy joints. It can still be simply glued and screwed together. They certainly would out perform the sealed sub by quite a bit, and they've already been designed for you....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.