Stan Curtis 60W Class A

Hi,
I own a set of original Lecson AP4's, and the Jeremiah Braithwaite pre that goes with them. They are stunningly good amps and thanks to some help from Stan Curtis they are still going strong.
Way ahead of their time and can still hold their own.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Nick

I have the original magazine with the full article for the pre and power amps including the pcb artwork. I will also add the updates that Stan Curtis published a year later.

I made the pre and power amps and they do sound very good. I like the design. Not unlike the Krell in sound. I have swapped out the output devices for later faster ones and that helped. I built the amps as monoblocks and added a 4" fan to each monoblock to keep them running at reasonable temperatures. The amps do run at 60 watt class A and give off a lot of heat. The pre amp also sounds good.

The overall article plus pcb plus updates is very long and I only have hard copies. If you give me your address I will post you a photo copy.

Don
Hi Don,
would you be able to send me a copy of the article, the scanned ones are quite blurred for detail.
Kind Regards
Joe

Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Hi,
I own a set of original Lecson AP4's, and the Jeremiah Braithwaite pre that goes with them. They are stunningly good amps and thanks to some help from Stan Curtis they are still going strong.
Way ahead of their time and can still hold
Hi PID1
as you own a set of these , could you answer the following for me? In the parts list Q17 is down as a MPSA06, this is the transistor attached to the points P,Q,R on the boards and apparently mounted on the heatsink. Its not the thermal cut out (TS1) which is shown on the rear panel. Can you see how this transistor is attached as its a TO92 package? The layout diagram seems to show a TO220 Package in this position, which if correct, is missing from the parts list, so if your amps have a TO220, would you mind letting me know what it is?
Many Thanks
Joe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have two pairs of 802 and 4502 output transistors which you are welcome to.

Rereading the thread I realise that we talked back in 2018 and I never did get back to you regarding things for which I apologise.

There are 12 heatsinks gathering dust in a shed measuring 120x120x115 long if of any use to you. no idea on price though.

IMG_0966 - Copy.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968 - Copy.JPG