STAHL - 'Acebass' Synthesis of Loudspeaker Mechanical Parameters by Electrical Means

Hi doctordata,All

2cents:
Even if your design do not entirely resemble an ACE-Bass amp you've done a great variant on this theme : I,ve noticed Your design seem to be able to alter the moving mass and damping but not the springiness (compliance) of the system.?

It's not my design , I just followed the schematic in the paper and did the maths .and you're right about the compliance .

That is you control the upper FR boundary while the lower end is solely dependent on the your low-pass filter at the input and the Q setting using the built in negative output resistance feature.

The filter at the input is a high-pass 2nd order Q=2

FYI if not known: Here are two links to similar threads to this one,but the first at least cannot be found here down below in the: 'Similar Threads', I find this to be odd.

ACE-bass amplifier design:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/104447-ace-bass-amplifier-design.html

and:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/83982-enclosure-high-q-driver-4.html#post976317

b:)

PS: Submitting picture I think resembles the functionality of your design too, can (only?) be found in K.E.S Thesis written in the Swedish language.

JBL K140 response in REW

Did a recap today of my subwoofer amp of post 38 , PSU caps were 30 years old and had some hum and was not so happy with the bass performance anymore .
Caps were only 20% of new value around 2000uF. Repaced them by 20.000uF per side . After replacing the caps hum was gone and as I had it in my workshop I did a nearfield measurement with REW and my modded Umik-1 and a Behringer UCA 202 .
I'm Very happy with the result !!

Hooked it up again , and boy THAT's BASS !!

Cheers .

Rens

Attachments

• JBL_K140_ACE.jpg
    JBL_K140_ACE.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 367
Corrections on my quote

My answers are in Red .

Originally Posted by bjorno
Hi doctordata,All

2cents:
Even if your design do not entirely resemble an ACE-Bass amp you've done a great variant on this theme : I,ve noticed Your design seem to be able to alter the moving mass and damping but not the springiness (compliance) of the system.?

It's not my design , I just followed the schematic in the paper and did the maths .and you're right about the compliance .

That is you control the upper FR boundary while the lower end is solely dependent on the your low-pass filter at the input and the Q setting using the built in negative output resistance feature.

The filter at the input is a high-pass 2nd order Q=2 , Fc = 20 Hz

FYI if not known: Here are two links to similar threads to this one,but the first at least cannot be found here down below in the: 'Similar Threads', I find this to be odd.

ACE-bass amplifier design:
ACE-bass amplifier design

and:

Enclosure for high Q driver

b
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=

PS: Submitting picture I think resembles the functionality of your design too, can (only?) be found in K.E.S Thesis written in the Swedish language.

Rew curve

Did a recap today of my subwoofer amp of post 38 , PSU caps were 30 years old and had some hum and was not so happy with the bass performance anymore .
Caps were only 20% of new value around 2000uF. Repaced them by 20.000uF per side . After replacing the caps hum was gone and as I had it in my workshop I did a nearfield measurement with REW and my modded Umik-1 and a Behringer UCA 202 .
I'm Very happy with the result !!

Hooked it up again , and boy THAT's BASS !!

Cheers .

Rens

Can't understand the no replys on this perfect flat response from about 17 Hz to 150 Hz with this simple K140 driver and a couple of op Amps .
here's a link to a guy who had simular experiences with this technique .
PCB for AceBass | Baldin's Blog
We're all exited by those tapped horns , but this is giving BASS in your living room with normal woofers in small boxes . have a look at Baldin's spreadsheet and fill in your speakers TS's

Cheers ,

Rens

Edit ?

Can't understand the no replys on this perfect flat response from about 17 Hz to 150 Hz with this simple K140 driver and a couple of op Amps .
here's a link to a guy who had simular experiences with this technique .
PCB for AceBass | Baldin's Blog
We're all exited by those tapped horns , but this is giving BASS in your living room with normal woofers in small boxes . have a look at Baldin's spreadsheet and fill in your speakers TS's

Cheers ,

Rens

I wasn't able to edit my post , some cyber static ? don't build Baldin's design yet , there are some minor design issues , I tried to contact him , but that didn't work out . The gain resistor in his design does not give enough gain .
But for the rest the spreadsheet is pretty good . I lowered the standard resistor values with a factor 10 and that worked out fine for me ( less hum )

I wasn't able to edit my post , some cyber static ? don't build Baldin's design yet , there are some minor design issues , I tried to contact him , but that didn't work out . The gain resistor in his design does not give enough gain .
But for the rest the spreadsheet is pretty good . I lowered the standard resistor values with a factor 10 and that worked out fine for me ( less hum )

Hi doctordata,

Did you miss this Thread postings?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/187677-ace-bass-design.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/187677-ace-bass-design.html#post2555539

b:)

High pass is missing

I read the links , Thanks ! very interesting . Good way to recover from Queens Birthday :) The Stahl design is based on a 6th order BR box and a 6th order design needs a high pass filter with fc = fbox ( and f-3dB in this design) with a Q of 2 . I made the calculations based on a 20 Hz tuning , I measured the filters and there on the spot , so I'm a little surprised that my Rew measurements are down to 17 Hz . ( But who cares and the UMIK-1 has no calibration below 20 Hz ) Baldin's design does not include the highpass filter and it should ! My schematic in post 37 has the filter included, it's the first opamp . I also added a phase inverter with a 2X gain , the last opamp , because my power amp was not inverting as needed in the design . You can select either inverting or non inverting power amps with the jumper. I added the 2X gain for my low sensitive power amp . If the jumper is placed wrongly , YOU WILL HEAR !!!
and the neighbours !!

Cheers ,

Rens

Yes, seems to be just plain motional feedback. In those days (2005?) manufacturers used common parlance "Servo" to mean feedback.

Since it is a BR, as Bolserst pointed out, the amp needs EQ tweaking because the cone motion (controlled by MFB) doesn't match the speaker sound output.