SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've been using 13 ohm 3 watt - is that OK? It gets kind of hot but I don't leave it on long (my substitute heat sinks aren't really big enough)

If I tested Idss for all the 2SK117s and got reasonable values (most were in the 3-5mA range) can I assume they're OK, or do I need to test more?

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not at the moment, but I can get one.

I tested the BC550C I removed from the board and it does not conduct between be or bc in either direction, and the one currently in the board doesn't conduct on one side either, so I'm thinking both of the BC550Cs in Teabag's kits were bad. I'll try BC550Cs from another source but it will be almost 2 weeks until I get home. More then!

I am not really done testing but at 15 V I would only use leds (about 7x) and 1R (200 ~400 Ohm) and a filmcap. Filmcaps do sound better, see manual. Together it gives for me the finest sound, maybe a bit cold. I can always decrease amount of leds and increase value of R to make it more cozy.

-If you are unsure just stick to the manual and experiment from there.

"merlin" and I do agree in this matter ;)

I feel i might go wayyyy too much into irrelevant details, but nevertheless:

I noticed that the wires to the sensing-circuit is about an inch, while the route from the output-zobel-filter is only half an inch. Normally adding, lets say 4 inch wire, would make this difference insignificant.

But i am placing the Bib's less than half an inch from a DAC, meaning the sense wire will be about 40% longer ... And i really noticed how wire length matters A LOT for output impedance on high frequency (for digital)

Does it make sense at all to mount wires instead directly to:
sense: Q104/105
Force: R107/C104
to be able to make it similar length, for force/sense?

Or is it just wayy too late here in DK, and my interest in my hobby has reached pathological proportions?!?