Spreadsheet for Folded Horn Layouts...

Attach these two open ends together and move the driver to the location in the sim (it splits the 3/4 resonator in half and smooths out the response ‘best’ for some drivers (especially in pairs or opposed pairs /quads)

look at the continuous ‘hypothetical’ Sine wave shape throughout? I thinkthis is what many paraflex models ‘screw up’ by trying to do other weird resonator shapes(too big and too short mated to a long skinny TL, mismatched sizes or choked, pinched throat chamber exits, etc.. ? It’s all messed up trying to do way too much and going crazy in horn response/computer but not actually building anything to realize it’s inevitably acoustically messy??

I dunno, I gave up on those designs after battling the same issues over and over(they sell those paraflexes to car audio and they SUCk!)

Attachments

• 7062BA4D-A08F-443A-8109-3A5EF8B964AA.jpeg
    7062BA4D-A08F-443A-8109-3A5EF8B964AA.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Thinking of doing a series tuned 6th order on this run idk a modeled one out looks like it could be nice. It is what it is tho it’s always a chase no matter how perfect I get it it can always be louder go lower do more so it’s a never ending cycle lol my favorite boxplan so for I will say is the mlt3 I have built plenty of those they end up a little big but no bigger than what a paraflex gets anyway and they get low the response is great and they will flex a woofer you can run a 1500 watt woofer with hardly any power and it’ll be moving like it had 1500 watts. They do take a little playing with, i line the inside of them with rock wool which isn’t the cheapest anymore so they’re not the cheapest box to build but so far they have worked great for me idk 🤷‍♂️ but there’s just something about the look of a paraflex that’s so appealing lol

Reactions: 1 user
but, It’s a transmission-line. it has a bazillion resonances that ring. if you dont address the initial one (after the fundametal) its junk . its in the XO slope or worse 🥲 I think people ignore this or aren’t aware? Then the transmissionline sounds like junk out of the bandwidth interfering with other speakers awkwardly

dsp/xo cannot fix much of that properly (or worsens it?). and it must be looked into acoustically (I think/hear junk otherwise? It’s too hard to describe or discuss, it’s in the sound ?)

bass reflex ports are too small and compress. TL ports are bigger but have pipe resonances.. sealed boxes are boring and often too small to sound good or murder with dsp…

😂😱 it’s all fawked

Last edited:
There is no official writeup yet, but I've posted some results in a Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/subboxbuilders/?multi_permalinks=2153280964859173

The frequency response was was a quick one taken in-room so the room did have some impact, but generally the response is as predicted, up to the big dip between 200~300 Hz, which is much larger than predicted by Hornresp, which is not too surprising.

Attachments

• 20230413-POC11 FR comparison.png
    20230413-POC11 FR comparison.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230410-POC11 imp comparison.png
    20230410-POC11 imp comparison.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230306-TL.png
    20230306-TL.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 101
I wouldn’t even consider not lining it yet I’ve built several of the transmission line enclosures from box plan and they all work out great however Rockwool is way more expensive than what it used to be and with out it the box is trash so it’s not a build to be just playing around with unless u realize u may end up doing it all then burning the enclosure in the fire lol