Speakers - Jantzen standard Z Cap or Mundorf M-CAP EVO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Exactly. Clip leads, especially the cheap chinese ones, have a considerably high resistance, and if you´re using quite a handful of them in a quick XO mock-up, they can quickly screw up what you´re doing.
Of course it´s more work, but despite the fact that I have plenty of them, I try to avoid use of clip leads whenever possible.

All the best

Mattes

Hi,

I'm very curious about that as I'm only tried the Jantzen Cross-Cap. Can you sumarize fastly please the main difference between the superior and the standard please ?

Hi Iggy,

Was that question aimed at me? If so, in my personal opinion, the Sup-Z sounds more detailed than the Standard-Z, and in the same time less like there´s anything in between amp and speaker. For a high quality system, IMO it makes sense even with large values, but that all depends. If you´re using mid-fi drivers, it will make no sense to invest a few hundred bucks into caps, better get a better driver for your cash.
But when you feel that you do have the best driver for your application, it might be worth it.
Just to keep things into perspective: I actually do sell Jantzen parts, but very seldom. Just remember to read my words with a grain of salt...

All the best

Mattes

I don't see how a good quality capacitor could add brightness to the sound. Its a filter and so can't be any brighter than an active crossover. A junk capacitor can add brightness though.

I just bought a Jantzen crosscap for a first order filter for a build. My decision was influenced by listening to a cheap junk capacitor for a test. It worked but the junk cap sounded bad. I noticed a chirpy splashy transistor radio-like sound that was irritating enough that I had to take it out.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I always experiment myself. Some capacitors add to much brightness on hard dome tweeters but seem to work well with soft dome tweeters. Others just the opposite; they sound too mellow on soft domes but work well with hard domes. I stand by the Superior Z as the best capacitor for the money. It's not inexpensive but considering it can even improve the sound of budget drivers, it is still worth it to me. Of course; I wouldn't put a $35 capacitor on a $20 tweeter in general. I have done that just because I had some on hand and yes, there were improvements even on something so cheap. I would never do this as a design goal however. When I am unsure of what values I may need; I have a lot of the Audyn Q4 capacitors of many values. They are quite good for the cheap price and sometimes that is all you need. So I start with these until I am satisfied with my results then I upgrade to a higher quality if the drivers or design warrants the extra expense. Sometimes it just comes down to listening preference and personal tastes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.