Speakers - Jantzen standard Z Cap or Mundorf M-CAP EVO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
guys... the Amp Ohms caps... better q/p I ever heard with SCR tin foil... Liked the copper from Audyn, the styrens from MIT and some russian caps jus for salt. Well there is a dozen of Cross Caps that are on the way to home. Hope they meaure well, I just paid for soerting out the biggest value at 1%. I have some specials about philips foilded styrens caps NOS as well. Some silver Mica with glass from aerospace industry... I played a little with caps also... But much more on pcb devices. If we could solder without solder, we would have a better life...;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have placed higher quality X/O components on cheaper drivers just playing around. Even some inexpensive drivers benefit from better X/O parts but not usually worth the extra expense or effort. With something like the new Pluvia 7PHD; the micro detail is there; it is a good test driver for comparing capacitors and inductors; the effects are immediately obvious. I also have some 4 inch SB mid-bass; the effects here are much less obvious. They are decent enough drivers for sure but NOT capable of the higher resolution, articulation, etc. as the P7P is. (an example I just recently tried for myself)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Have you tied a metal 4" with the raise tamed ? Gorlish, Visaton. the expensive ceramic you tried hasless details than the Pluvia???
I remenber ScottG 's inputt about rweeters notched and improvments of distorsion sub harmonics in the cheap vs expensive tweeter thread...worths it to try for mids as well. Kef did that with its old Reference serie and nomex drivers.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I prefer paper and paper cone composites best for full range and mid range. I have tried some metal cone 4 inch and didn't like them very much. Like we both said; the Audax HDA were very nice sounding; I used these 4 inch mids many times. No longer available in USA or Canada to my knowledge. Some fiber or fiber composites sound OK to me but I still prefer paper. The new TexTreme should be quite good; very well controlled break-up modes so the sound quality should be very natural and extended (range) I HOPE ANYWAY!!!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Diyiggy; I didn't try the new Accuton Cell mid myself; I had a much older Accuton 5 inch years ago. It had the "ears" so there was no break-up mode but the high frequencies rolled off too quickly for me. I had premium inductors and capacitors on it; micro detail was definitely VERY obvious.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
You can buy audax in Germany and France yet, not as far than Indonesia. The 10 and 13 cm hda are indeed cheap and sounding right to me too, though below 150 hz don tthink hda has a special there, but notenougj experience...well 10 years in a car...butcar and hifi, lol.
I often though I had to surgeon an hda to putt on a SB Acoustic motor butI m not aware of spider and surround kit which are giving an accurate Qm number to deal with...so chef surprise...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Any thought on the EVO Oil ?, their form factor is improvig inductance or esr, I don't remember.

I saw at tout le haut parleur .com where I bought recently my SB STAC tweeter ! SCR are aking the same with no oil now !

There is also some excellent SCR Tin foils - like that ones but damn Hell long to burn in... an eternity which is odd to me - maybe jut brain bias adjustment, who knows ? I'm more and more think : according the sources, amp, ears, some are less sensible to caps improvment in speaker filters. I also recaped two loudspeakers with lytics these 3 last months with JB, Mundorf and F&T, all NPE : frankly not so bad for rock, for classical & jazz I like the extra resolution for classical and jazz and acoustical instruments, film caps are providings : indeed, strings and eated instruments benefit a lot of these caps from my limited experience... but I read the datasheet too in order to try to understand what phenomena is rulling... well I like the AllenB input about what happen in each side of the Tang Loss diagonal ! one side more capacitive, the other more inductive iirc ! It makes sense that the driver don't see the same thing between two capacitors. With Tony Gee, reading the datasheet, I always saw there is a concistency with his ratings and the ESR number though ! It's especially clear at seing the ratings of the Basic caps series in Mundorf and SCR ranges : As voltage increase the ESR is reducing in the high frequency between 100V and 600V rating. Look like a MKP should not be less than 400 V for the trebles and MKT has a progressive esr falling in the audible range as well - which may be handy for shinings tweeter who knows but here AllenB will tell me a voltage joke :p . Certainly he is right knowing that much better than many and saying that fils caps don't change things too much between each others in the audible range... But some still hear a difference ! Clear to me a bypass can be heard and dielectric type as well : styren, copper, Al metalizzed polypro... sometimes I also asked myself if it was not just the leads diameters and the way they are soldered on the foil... Well I don't think the caps diserve a Nobel though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello Sumo, what's new there ? You talk about the black EVO Supreme iirc ? these Mundorf are expensive, you pay for the ancient mark monney, lol ! But well with ESL Mundorf is certainly a airy good choice ... At this price the excellent Audyn copper (have it in 0.100 uF) are certainly good, use it on my medium driver... in // with Crosscaps soon. I have still soe old tin foil Philips Styren that beats LCRs' - at least in a preamp or turnable preamp- in 0.4 uF... got a NOS stock ! 160 V iirc, good enough for a loudspeaker filter so. Evo Oil are quite well rated by Tony Gee for a "still" affordable choice...

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
diyiggy said:
Do you remember when Mundorf explained that their non-inductive winding scheme in their Supreme capacitors was two double sized capacitors in series on the same form for a unit four times larger?

If ESL happens to be significant then it's possible it varies the response slightly. What if you equalised that?

Yes Allen I kind of suspected this as well. The crazy thing is there's a 2 ways to connect the step up trafo to the Esl panel & with different connection it affects the sound as well. As far as Im aware the step up ratio is the same. Couldn't find any details of how the trafo is wound hence am in the dark. When I changed the hook up wire to the XO to Duelund again sound changed, why would it when signals goes into the XO & then get steps up by the trafo.
Head scratching here & wouldn't this mean that a better spec step up trafo will be even better like double C core ???

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Mundorf Capacitor 0.10uF 1000Vdc MCap® Supreme SilverOil

Mundorf Capacitor 0.68uF 1000Vdc MCap® Supreme SilverOil

Blocked

I have these 3 capacitors in parallel on my Fostex ST. The Mundorf Silver/Oil I started with 0.68 uF at first. I needed just a little more so I added the 0.1 uF. I also had a CDE 0.047 uF for by-pass on another driver. I placed this also, temporary, in and out of circuit. Even though I had Silver/Oil; adding this CDE by-pass made definite and noticeable improvements. I think I may have said I used 0.47 uF before; NO, it is 0.047 uF. This is between 0.01 and 0.1. I thought; well, if people say try a 0.01 uF and 0.1 uF together; why not just a 0.047 uF by itself? It does work some magic here; extra sharpness and definition having it in circuit. So, even the expensive Mundorf got a benefit from a much less expensive by-pass. Will this ALWAYS be the case? Probably NOT! Will everyone notice the subtle improvements? Probably NOT! Works for me; I'm sticking with it.

I have never tried any other Mundorf capacitor any place else; these are my only ones so far. I didn't mind spending this much money for the tweeters and crossovers here because I need that cleanest as possible high treble for my old ears! By the way; this is a 2nd order filter; the inductor is just a regular 16 AWG air core; 0.13 mH I think. So, expensive capacitors; cheap inductor! Since my custom X/O is ABOVE 15 KHz here; I don't think a more expensive inductor would make any difference. It is literally connected right at the tweeter terminals so you can't get any closer than that! Cheaper capacitors here though were VERY obviously lacking in "sparkle and zing" (how's that for a made up description??? ha ha ha)...Basically; all the cheaper caps I tried here just were masking or smearing the signal; this is another example of a driver fully capable of the finest sonics; "micro-detail"...

Allez tester votre audition et vous verrez que cela n'a aucun sens de mettre plus que des cross cap jantzen. Mettez le reste dans les hp.

:cop: Moderation input
Translation said:
Go test your hearing and you will see that it makes no sense to put on more than jantzen cross cap. Put the rest in the hp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
makes sense ! (It means : "Jantzen caps are good enough, putt the difference in drivers" !)

It's a shortcut imho, for instance I use also MKT for their resistance in the highs, as I use some others Solen lead that are very good but in low capacitance value... a must with tweeters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.