Speaker Wires, analysis and results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the question is...

I'm also not sure what could possibly be a problem with CCA cable, other than reduced malleablility, as the difference in resistance is small.
Aluminium cabling has been used rather successfully for electrical generation, transmission and distribution, so I'd love to the see the arguments against its use in somewhat less critical applications (hifi)- it should make for chuckles if nothing else.

If I recall correctly, the Castle Kendal speakers used a hexaganol aluminium lacquered cable in the voice coil. This allowed them to produce a much lighter and thus faster (controlled) bass driver. Wonderfull little speaker.
P.S. Probably not the first or last to use aluminium

Last edited:
Aluminum in voice coils is used only to reduce the weight of the mobile system. There is nothing better for this. The best voice coil was invented in the USA in the 30s by Bell laboratory. He wound a flat aluminum wire ribbon around the edge. Karunda ceramics used as interturn isolation. Even now, in the 21st century, not all firms can afford this technology.
Some speakers from the French company Audax also use voice coils wound with flat tape around the edge. But they used copper as a flat wire material. To save the mass of the mobile system, they were able to significantly lighten the mass of the diffuser using the latest at that time airgel HDA.
The use of aluminum conductors in electrical engineering was associated only once with cost savings. Now they are moving away from this, since it is much more important to get an economic effect with long-term operation of equipment, which more than covers all initial savings.

Last edited:
I got some 12awg cca by mistake from the hardware store (thought it was a little light, but was in a hurry!) got home figured it out but tried it anyway.
In a straight up comparison against regular copper 12awg zip cord the difference is beyond noticeable......the cca sounds dull and lifeless.

I think everyone hears that even amplifiers with a distortion level of 0.01 and 0.001 sound differently. So why, cables that have a perfectly perfect linearity of resistance, but through which non-linear current flows, do not generate distortion? And if the cables are still not perfect? Personally, I perfectly hear the difference in the sound of cables from different manufacturers. But the real question is, are the expensive cables of the money that ask for them? Or can you afford to purchase a cable from one or another manufacturer or not.
You are free to think any way you want. Key point is, which evidence is your thinking based on?

I have stacked Quad ESLs, and using any "normal" speaker cable just does not work (sound) right. There was a distinct lack of control, and the mid-range sounded bloody awful. I ended up using DNM cable - 3 solid-core conductors spaced 6mm apart in a flat configuration - which totally opened up the sound. Don't ask me to explain, but it just works. My brother who is an electronics engineer, was flabbergasted by the difference.
Electronics engineers are not immune to placebo effect, expectation bias, sound difference caused by listening position change,... etc., the usual culprits of subjective listening results. Why? Because they are people just like you and the rest of forum members.

You are free to think any way you want. Key point is, which evidence is your thinking based on?
The proof is very simple. If there is no difference, then all the amplifiers would be manufactured according to the same primitive and the cheapest circuit! The same applies to any product, be it a car, plane, phone, laptop, musical instruments, acoustic systems, or audio cables.I repeat once again that the problem is not with the product at all, but with the consumer’s taste, preferences, and most importantly, his bank account.

Last edited:
The proof is very simple. If there is no difference, then all the amplifiers would be manufactured according to the same primitive and the cheapest circuit! The same applies to any product, be it a car, plane, phone, laptop, musical instruments, acoustic systems, or audio cables.I repeat once again that the problem is not with the product at all, but with the consumer’s taste, preferences, and most importantly, his bank account.
So where is the proof?

By the way, I've seen measurable differences between speaker cables so there is difference. Another key point is whether that measurable difference is audible or not. Based on double blind listening test results, the answer is no.

So where is the proof?

By the way, I've seen measurable differences between speaker cables so there is difference. Another key point is whether that measurable difference is audible or not. Based on double blind listening test results, the answer is no.
There are people who need evidence for everything. Even the most obvious things are that the sun is shining, and rain is made up of water. Apparently marketing tricks were created specifically for them. Just listen and compare the medieval violin with the one sold at the nearest music store. Medieval even sounds twice as loud! I will be silent about the sound quality, since I have no evidence recorded by the notary. :D

GUNFU said:
I think everyone hears that even amplifiers with a distortion level of 0.01 and 0.001 sound differently.
Do they? Of course, two amplifiers with sufficiently good distortion performance may sound different due to other issues such as frequency response.

So why, cables that have a perfectly perfect linearity of resistance, but through which non-linear current flows, do not generate distortion?
No, a linear resistance does not generate distortion. It may show up distortion generated elsewhere.

Do they? Of course, two amplifiers with sufficiently good distortion performance may sound different due to other issues such as frequency response.

No, a linear resistance does not generate distortion. It may show up distortion generated elsewhere.
I am glad that you understood the point by saying the opposite. For example, that compared high-end amplifiers can have different frequency characteristics, but why, for example, do the compared cables always have ideal frequency response?

Bernard Aivelmans:
"I believe that scientifically denying the unknown is arrogance."

No, capitalism does not work like that.
Yes you? Do companies produce different products at different prices with the same characteristics? Here investors will be delighted with this news ...:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.