Speaker Wires, analysis and results

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The other trick is to compensate the rise at resonance with another loss.

Yes, that is a valid approach. Usually more useful with ams that are not officially in the current amp class, but have high output impedance, such as most SETs and the FIrstwatt F2. Of particular use with some single driver designs where a rise in impedance at the top & bottom leads to greater extension. This can be fine tuned thru the use of the speaker wire R.

An earlier comment about "an ACA of speaker wire”, one might consider solid core 24g wires pulled from a CAT5 cable. Further with a pair of ACAs one can have an amplifier with 3 different output impedance, if we set a single ACA as the reference, double the output impedance will occur if run bridged and half the output impedance if run in parallel.

For my big MTM WAWs bridged is too high an output impedance (works greta on my standmount Mar-Ken10p trapizodal boxes. I am going to try running a parallel configuration to see how that is.

dave

web page, "thing to search for".
  • Ebay.com, "16awg speaker wire". You'll need 25ft - 100ft, depending.
  • Ebay.com, "12awg speaker wire". You'll need 25ft - 100ft, depending.
  • Ebay.com, "12awg 4 conductor wire". You'll need 25ft - 100ft, depending.
Caution!!! These searches will turn up a lot of copper-clad aluminum (CCA), rather than pure copper. That's a REAL good way to make your fancy new 12awg perform like it's actually 15 or 16awg.

Since this is still within (DIY) audio forum, the inevitable question is, does it make audible difference?
I think everyone hears that even amplifiers with a distortion level of 0.01 and 0.001 sound differently. So why, cables that have a perfectly perfect linearity of resistance, but through which non-linear current flows, do not generate distortion? And if the cables are still not perfect? Personally, I perfectly hear the difference in the sound of cables from different manufacturers. But the real question is, are the expensive cables of the money that ask for them? Or can you afford to purchase a cable from one or another manufacturer or not.

I have stacked Quad ESLs, and using any "normal" speaker cable just does not work (sound) right. There was a distinct lack of control, and the mid-range sounded bloody awful. I ended up using DNM cable - 3 solid-core conductors spaced 6mm apart in a flat configuration - which totally opened up the sound. Don't ask me to explain, but it just works. My brother who is an electronics engineer, was flabbergasted by the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.