Speaker cable connectors: Solder or Screw?

miglto

It could be a problem only if you leave many meters / feet connected and wound into a coil.
It will be a giant inductance greater than the resistance.
You mention that the 18 Ohm resistor is not a problem.
Well, if your Ongaku amplifier has terminals for 16 Ohms, I agree. There is an impedance adapter there (OPT) that will laugh at that 2 ohm difference.
But your friend should know that in solid state equipment excessive load decreases the power output. There are tables to calculate the length Vs thickness of the cable, Crown has a very good one, if I find it I will upload it

No es un tema de C, L, R por separado, hay reactancias (X) allì asociadas a las dos primeras..
Would you do that on a 300 ohm unbalanced TV antenna cable? Don't you remember the ghosts? What do you think was due to that?
Of course it is RF and here we talk about AF, but the principle is the same.
Let me consult my books, and I will tell you, in the meantime, if you can contribute something well documented, all interested parties thank you.

I found this ...

Reactancia inductiva - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Coiling cables? - #12 by zheng4 - Cables - PS Audio

Last edited:
Other link :

"bobinas" en cableados [Archivo] - Doctor ProAudio.com (el DoPA)

" A cable has a certain resistance depending on its section and the quality of the copper.

A coiled cable, in addition to having this resistance, becomes a coil with a certain inductance value in Henries (unit of inductance).

Then a new impedance appears. An inductive impedance that depends on the frequency. The higher the frequency, the higher the impedance. With what to some extent equalizes the signal a bit.

A compensation effect also appears. A coil is out of phase by a certain number of degrees depending on the relationship between its resistance and its inductive reactance.

Therefore, it is not advisable to use a spiral cable. You also don't have to get dramatic with a lap that's out there. But if there is a lot of cable left, it is always better to spread it out or randomly stack it than to coil it. Especially if the intensity in that cable is very high (speakers or power cables). We will avoid losses, cable heating and harmonic distortion.

This is interesting.
Regarding the impedance and phase shift that the coil produces, how much does it affect a signal wire? Could there be an increase in impedance and signal "equalization" with such a low voltage cable? "

Last edited:
Tienes razòn, fue un error. se escapò. Pero es demasiado trabajo corregirlo para tì, usa el traductor GT. tù tambien de vez en cuando.

You're right, it was a mistake. She escaped. But it is too much work to correct it for you, you use the GT translator you too from time to time.

The rules of the forum are that as long as you write in English, you can also do it in the native language, something that the moderators have clarified to me at the time.

Regarding the technical question, you do not answer my questions, so I am outside.

Las reglas del foro son que mientras escribas en inglés, puedes hacerlo ademàs en el idioma nativo, algo que me han aclarado en su oportunidad los moderadores.

Con respecto a la cuestión técnica, no respondes a mis preguntas, asi que estoy afuera.

The reason it is best not to coil up mains cables or speaker cables is because large currents produce noticeable resistive heating in the conductors.

If the cable is coiled up, the heat builds up in the heart of the coil because the cable lacks the cooling effect of the air. In uncoiled cable reels, the cable insulation can melt or even catch fire.

Regarding the technical question, you do not answer my questions, so I am outside.
I have given you the basic physics of the situation.
"The current travels in opposite directions in the two conductors of a speaker cable so the magnetic fields of the two conductors cancel each other out. There will be no added inductance."
I can do no more, so I am out!

The rules of the forum are that as long as you write in English, you can also do it in the native language, something that the moderators have clarified to me at the time.

Las reglas del foro son que mientras escribas en inglés, puedes hacerlo ademàs en el idioma nativo, algo que me han aclarado en su oportunidad los moderadores.
I accept that you are conforming to the forum rule when you give a translation.

THE RULES

NOT ALLOWED:

6. Posting in a language other than English without a translation.

Last edited: