Speaker build info, or other suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here's what i would consider a starter rig using the RCF HDL20 this is a much bigger footprint and transport weight then the Bose... rcf array.jpg

Last edited:
well doing some measurements two RCF HDL20A pre side is only little larger than the bose F1. to a point where i could probably get away with it, one per side for small venues without a problem.. the cost of genuine RCF even second hand puts them out of my reach, but I'm sure the cost of building similar would make it possible even, if i have to cope with one per side for a few months..

I've found a few plans about that don't seam to difficult. the question i have now is would i be better off with pole mounted line array style boxes or standard trapezoid style box.. for throwing the sound to the back of rooms??

Attachments

• 073858d86b9dc88bc6d899ce2f46dcf4.jpg
    073858d86b9dc88bc6d899ce2f46dcf4.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 5246a4477105b01b4130e0ff9103de8b.jpg
    5246a4477105b01b4130e0ff9103de8b.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 704ab1b480a7eb6fec0f3856180cc9c9.jpg
    704ab1b480a7eb6fec0f3856180cc9c9.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 6cbb0129786f1659cdff2a40caa5c4cc.jpg
    6cbb0129786f1659cdff2a40caa5c4cc.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 67
did you look at the link to Mr Morris's design?

single elements and for that matter two'sie's of array elements do not perform in the far field as intended (insert complex physics and math explanation here)and if i'm following your thinking with respect to footprint/size turning those on their sides is also problematic...

the SMT 12 design looks promising and the hazamuzik one is similar to the Morris design so those would be potential candidates.

Last edited:
yes i did try to look, but the link wouldn't take me anywhere ?

aw really that surprises me, ive done a few festivals where theyve only had 1 or 2 line array boxes to cover the room.. see video below. this is a festival i did where they had 1 line array box sat on top of what looked like dual 18 subs facing forward (per size), and then 1 high on a stand facing out to the sides (per side) if i remember right i think the promoter said there was 1,500 people, and it was a large very wide room.. i walked the room as i always do listening to the band before us and i didn't notice any drop offs in sound throughout the room, actually one of the better festival sounds ive heard lately. and it was loud and clear.

YouTube

If you are on a bit of a budget then:

2 x Beta Twin 18" Passive Sub Woofers - 4000w RMS System | BishopSound

£900 for 2 * twin passive 18s. I have no idea how good they are, but I think you may be able to demo them and make a decision. Formerly Carlsbro, apparently. Plenty of other options on that site also, including active units, which on paper seem to more or less match up with the budget pro subs which are quite a bit more money.

Last edited:
Yes very interesting, I’ll be sitting and reading the whole thread later.

Although I’d love dual 18s, unless they fit into a shoe box, I’ve got no change. I’ve already had 2 aggments today with members of the band and my farther who drives the van and helps move the gear because of my bad back... because they already think the Bose rig is to big and heavy, and actually asked me to get something smaller..

They honestly have no clue how small it is compared to its equal competition.

I’m standing my ground but I really do need more out put in as small as package as possible....

I did some SPL readings today the Bose, with 1 sub and 1 mid/ high.. at 6ft away I can get the kick drum to 85db before speaker clip. And I can get the main vocals to 108db before clipping the speakers... sooo might help give a better idea of what I’m dealing with.

DBA weighted. 6ft away and 5ft off the floor. I plan on getting my measurement mic out tomorrow and seeing what I get from that..

Today I tired every possible way of hooking everything up just incase I missed something. And although I can manipulate the bottom end a little more depending if I use the aux feed for the sub.. no matter what I didn’t the average db stayed the same, the speakers started to clip.. still tones of room left on the channel faders..... with an iPod playing I can get 118db before clipping on the top and 122db in the sub.

Here the Bose specs if that’s any good..... I’m just becoming more and more disappointed with them every time I gig them. They seam like really good iPod speaker but that’s it.

Talking to a pro engineer Friend of mine and the Bose expert and nobody can see anything wrong with the speaker or the way I’m running them, I think it’s just a case of a hype that the speakers can’t live up too..

Definitely looking into build something now. !!!

Attachments

• 6BB1A588-BD51-446D-8534-DACEE8CE60F9.jpg
    6BB1A588-BD51-446D-8534-DACEE8CE60F9.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DC6D9602-73C9-479C-9985-2840EF593669.jpg
    DC6D9602-73C9-479C-9985-2840EF593669.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 62
Ah thank you, I would imagine the danley price is high, but nice to finally know somewhere in the uk to find them. ����

Yeah I used the isolation of my studio so I wouldn’t get any feedback from the open mic... I had the singer in a isolation booth, and the pa Speaker out in the live room. Purely to see how loud I could get it before clipping. .. same with the kick drum.... but as normal the mid/ high top start clipping long before the sub..

Thanks conanski, I’ve got to say when I first looked at the IG4T I couldn’t see how it would be much better that what I’ve got, but looking at the reviews and YouTube I think it’s persuded me. Still expensive but definitely within reach at a push.. would probably need 4 for outdoors. I couldn’t stretch that far at the moment. But I think 2 would be an improvement over the Bose..

Here’s an interesting question. The specs on the INGENIA IG4T and the IG3T are exactly the same except the frequency response and cabenet size.. everything else is identical. The IG3T is £100 cheaper too.

IG4T : 88hz-19khz
IG3T : 57hz -19khz

So Whitch do you think will through sound the farthest and have the most punch. 2x10” drivers or 4x6.5” drivers. HF is 1.4” in both. ?? . The 4x6.5” has more surface area. ???

Dual 10's will have a bit more low/mid grunt but the taller Ig4T cab will help project sound a little better to the back. I think either of these would be a significant upgrade from the Bose system, there are a couple users over on the Prosoundweb forums that are very happy with them for live bands. Db Ingenia IG4T first run

Interestingly there was a thread there recently about a band that was having the same problems as you with the Bose F1 system.

For sub its going to be difficult to get good output and be portable. Ive gone down the route of building fairly small boxes with fairly powerful 15" drivers (about 30kgs per unit) and potentially just having a lot of them (4, possibly 8 in the future). That said, I can see myself at some stage wanting to get some powerful 18s but the drivers Ive seen are in the order of 15kgs alone. This had me thinking that perhaps one solution is having a removable baffle (it bolts to the box) so the main box can be moved independently to the baffle and driver and then assembled on location, so what would be around a 45 kg sub then becomes split to two parts: 20kg / 25kg driver and baffle / box respectively. far more manageable. Some thought to design is needed to ensure the baffle is rock solid and air tight to the box when in place, but definitely doable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.