Spawn of Frugel-Horn

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrish said:
Don't expect they will be better than my rather expensive and difficult to build Ariels in my main system, but if they are, I will keep them there!

If you go to the effort of making them FE127eN clones, i would not be surprised if you find Olivia more musically satisfying and that the Ariels quickly get put in queue for similar treatment.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Chili Chang for FE168ES

thoburnse40 said:
What dimensional changes might be need to optimise the Chili Chang for the Fostex FE168E Sigma? Is there a Chang design in the works for this driver?

Like the FE166, the FE168 actually prefer a true horn. The adjustment to put FE168eS into Chili Chang is a series resistor (or a high output impedance amplifier -- what the world needs is a good SE Pentode amp with no feedback)

People will put the low Q drivers into the Changs, it is happening already (we have FE126eN in Byrnn), so we will see what people find works. With his Paramours Chris was happy with 126 Brynn with no series R. We are going to do a development session and see where that goes.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Chili Chang for FE168ES

thoburnse40 said:
What dimensional changes might be need to optimise the Chili Chang for the Fostex FE168E Sigma? Is there a Chang design in the works for this driver?

Looks like i spoke too soon in the last post... So many Changs i'm losing track... still only a text description in my CAD file, but a special FE168eS Chang, Ceinwyn Chang, has been speced, but not drawn. And i see no mention of series R.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Chili Chang for FE168ES

thoburnse40 said:

Not to push, but do you have an available date in mind? :)

It will take me about an hour to do a useable drawing. Twice that to get the doc finished. Regular work comes 1st, but i'll put it high on my priority list. Mail me so that i have your email to send the preliminary drawings to

dave

Hi,

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :confused: :scratch:

More Choice=more confusion. Almost an OT remark, but...

It has to do with Fostex Fe206E. I've been reading this thread, (and some others) and it just added the confusion..

Ron designed a Dallas 2 horn for Fe206 e. Seems like a perfect enclosure for that driver. But then, came a BIB. Then, Bruce. And then, Sachico. And then, G Chang (even the curvy one)...

And then I wish..:drink: :drunk:

I hope that this is an appropriate place for this kind of question...(perhaps repeated for a zillionth time)

Which one?

1. I wanted a BIB. Great bass. But, no. Its too tall, and wants a corner. I can't provide a corner. (and my wife won't agree to rearrange the furniture)
2. Ok, I want a G Chang. Smooth response. But...I have a Fe 206, and it wants a series resistance, or it may sound light...( I want my kick smooth bass=oxymoron?)
3. Uh, then....I want a Bruce. Nice. But, Sachico is better suited to Fe 206 than Bruce?

Ugh...in the end, isn't Ron's Dallas 2 the best compromise?

Hint?
Pleease?

Vix said:
1. I wanted a BIB. Great bass. But, no. Its too tall, and wants a corner. I can't provide a corner. (and my wife won't agree to rearrange the furniture)
2. Ok, I want a G Chang. Smooth response. But...I have a Fe 206, and it wants a series resistance, or it may sound light...( I want my kick smooth bass=oxymoron?)
3. Uh, then....I want a Bruce. Nice. But, Sachico is better suited to Fe 206 than Bruce?

Well, judging from what you've written above, you've partly answered most of your own qestions, though it rather hinges, as Dave says, on your amp.

1) It's out. It's too tall, and you can't corner load it. So you can forget it.

2) Yes, it needs about 3ohms of series resistance in that box (ideally Bruce would need the same). This instantly makes some people run for the hills, I know-not why, unless they've a 1 - 2w spud amp, in which case you need all the sensitivity you can get. If that's what you've got for an amp, then the Curved (& flat-fronted for that matter) Chang, and Bruce, are really not ideal. They'll work, but transients will be compressed as the amp runs short of steam.

3) Yes. But if the BIB is too tall, then you'd probably find Sachiko too tall. So that's probably out for the same reason.

In your own circumstances therefore, the Dallas II would appear to be the best compromise. Alternatively, you could wait until Ron finishes the Austin 206, as noted.

planet10 said:

Getting the bass is not free thou...

dave

Hey there, have been watching this thread with interest :)

Is the main compromise in HF or in physical size?

I am currently planning to build 5 Bruces for HT and for a subwoofer - either an infinite baffle or a Labhorn, not sure yet. :whazzat:

Would I be better off with something smaller than a bruce? I was thinking the power handleing and LF would be better with the bigger drivers ... *may* add tweeters if I don't think there is enough treble...

The room is reasonably big so power handling is probably a factor.

Has anyone tried these with a Labhorn?:cool:

DB

ronc said:

Thats me, the designer of comprimises.

ron

:up:

It seems that it is. There are designs that have deeper bass, but they have a lower WAF. ( and need a corner, like a BIB) On the other hand, there are nice WAF ones, (like half-Chang) but they don't have that LF extension. (with Fe 206e and without series resistor)

Considering everything, there is just one more option for me, that may be preferable to Dallas 2, just because it is easier to build: Fostex Fe 208e Sigma horn (with Fe 206 E driver).

Regards,

vix