soundcraft spirit folio SX Psu improvememnt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I understand everything, you are a DJ and you make house music! :D So you don't understand that that mixer works well original. This is why you don't realize that whoever designed it is not a fool. That's why you don't understand that something broke! All the DJs I have known in my life, especially those who make house music, are exactly like you. They believe they know everything and believe that others are stupid. Fortunately, others are telling you little by little that your idea is wrong, who knows when you will understand it. I didn't want to take action yet, but I couldn't help but congratulate you again on solving the problem. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :wave::wave:

Now I understand everything, you are a DJ and you make house music! :D So you don't understand that that mixer works well original. This is why you don't realize that whoever designed it is not a fool. That's why you don't understand that something broke! All the DJs I have known in my life, especially those who make house music, are exactly like you. They believe they know everything and believe that others are stupid. Fortunately, others are telling you little by little that your idea is wrong, who knows when you will understand it. I didn't want to take action yet, but I couldn't help but congratulate you again on solving the problem. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :wave::wave:

flaming against me wont make this forum better, and it is quite unkindly too.

sorry i think you misunderstood the question?
what sort of amp is the mixer driving?

are you actually using 18 ch, 8 outs and phones all at the same time and at high gain?

strictly it is driving 2 fx unit, 4 input preamps on rec interface, 2 preamp in a pioneer sa5500 for monitoring, hd25 headphones

yes 18ch inputs at same time , gains are staged to hit 0db on peaks (on master out)

Last edited:
So you don't understand that that mixer works well original. This is why you don't realize that whoever designed it is not a fool.
I have a lot of respect for Soundcraft Mixers. And the designer was not a fool. But he was obviously constrained to a tight budget while we are not.
Higher performing components are available for not a lot of money.
The DJ mixer I am playing with at the moment cost £1600 new but there is always room for improvement! (Ecler Sclat)

If you think you are seeing a diiference with the transformer, why not try a custom snubber like the Quasimodo - Better than fancy diodes!

Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig

what sort of adapter are you using to connect the pioneer SA 5500?

what's your recording interface?

i guess i don't understand exactly what you are doing that requires all inputs to be used, these are all different sources?

as adapter I use an 6.3 jack to rca stereo unbalanced cable, i have a good quality souncard as recording interface.
i am mixing different electronic sources... if what i am doing wouldnt require all input to be used i would have a choosen a smaller desk ))

I have a lot of respect for Soundcraft Mixers. And the designer was not a fool. But he was obviously constrained to a tight budget while we are not.
Higher performing components are available for not a lot of money.
The DJ mixer I am playing with at the moment cost £1600 new but there is always room for improvement! (Ecler Sclat)

If you think you are seeing a diiference with the transformer, why not try a custom snubber like the Quasimodo - Better than fancy diodes!

Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig

Of course, everything can be improved. But soundcraft brand mixers work excellently when new. The problems related to the small available budget occur after a few years of work and cannot be solved from the outside. You have to OPEN the mixer and make some electrical measurements. Many breakdowns are known. Changing the external transformer will not solve the problem. Thinking about improving something from the outside that is broken internally is a wrong approach. In this case, experience on one side and presumption on the other side are evident. The wrong beliefs will not allow the solution of the problem. Do not listen to those who give the right advice starting from the wrong idea that the Soundcraft designer is a fool makes it clear who is really the fool. This is not flame, this is reality.

I can't help but jump in here with a smirk on my face. First of all I spent in excess of 25years in the pro audio field. I've used hundreds of Soundcraft mixers on jobs with very little problems. In the years I have spoken to their engineers and reps about particular problems. I like others here have either worked on some of the biggest systems or installed them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Soundcraft mixers. You question the power supply with absolutely no knowledge of electronics with the exception of what seems to possibly be a little DJ experience. I'll be blunt there... the supply is very ample and in no danger of being taxed even close to its capabilities as far as what the board needs. If your clipping its very elementary adjust your gains. I've spent hundreds of hours over the years setting gains and losses on systems to obtain a symmetrical clip of the components in the audio chain. When the mixer clips its pretty simple....your pushing it too hard turn the gain down. Changing the supply isn't going to provide any better solution and you run the danger of damage to the board with an inferior supply. The supply provided was engineered to provide ample power and very low noise.

Mackie is no better or worse than soundcraft. The difference between different brands generally is in the bells and whistles. Mackie sounds no better or worse than Soundcraft and your certainly not go to improve on a product that has been very well thought out.

I wholeheartedly suggest in a non-flaming manner that you make the attempt to obtain some basic electronics and attend some type of sound class where they can school you on the proper mixer operation and functions.

For the record with respect to phantom supplies....

There are a lot of microphones out there in need of a phantom supply. The industry standard is the 48 volt supply that you see in most mixers. The 48 volt phantom supply is a convenience built into many boards some with the ability to turn on phantom to groups of microphones. Microphones vary and some can function very well on as little as 1.5VDC or as much as 120VDC+ depending on the microphone. Some broadcast microphones need in the order of 90-120 VDC to function properly and its always a good idea to read the specs to find out.

Best upgrade for your Soundcraft power supply would be Elvee's brilliant de-noiser:
D-Noizator: a magic active noise canceller to retrofit & upgrade any 317-based V.Reg.
Reduces the noise floor by an outstanding 30 db!!

I'll be blunt here... leave the power supply alone. If the mixer is warranted you will void it. Its best not to give ideas unless the recipient is capable. Your not going to hear any difference changing the supply therefore its pointless to do so. The thread starters main problem is lack of experience combined with the typical DJ know it all attitude.

are all the phase relationships of input sources and output terminations correct? with apparent signal loss anything is possible.

everything runs unbalanced, i have tens of connections and cables (cheap) in the studio which they can have a sonic impact on the overall result, but any improvement there would be very very costly. I would exclude any evident anomaly on this side

I can't help but jump in here with a smirk on my face. First of all I spent in excess of 25years in the pro audio field. I've used hundreds of Soundcraft mixers on jobs with very little problems. In the years I have spoken to their engineers and reps about particular problems. I like others here have either worked on some of the biggest systems or installed them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Soundcraft mixers. You question the power supply with absolutely no knowledge of electronics with the exception of what seems to possibly be a little DJ experience. I'll be blunt there... the supply is very ample and in no danger of being taxed even close to its capabilities as far as what the board needs. If your clipping its very elementary adjust your gains. I've spent hundreds of hours over the years setting gains and losses on systems to obtain a symmetrical clip of the components in the audio chain. When the mixer clips its pretty simple....your pushing it too hard turn the gain down. Changing the supply isn't going to provide any better solution and you run the danger of damage to the board with an inferior supply. The supply provided was engineered to provide ample power and very low noise.

Mackie is no better or worse than soundcraft. The difference between different brands generally is in the bells and whistles. Mackie sounds no better or worse than Soundcraft and your certainly not go to improve on a product that has been very well thought out.

I wholeheartedly suggest in a non-flaming manner that you make the attempt to obtain some basic electronics and attend some type of sound class where they can school you on the proper mixer operation and functions.

For the record with respect to phantom supplies....

There are a lot of microphones out there in need of a phantom supply. The industry standard is the 48 volt supply that you see in most mixers. The 48 volt phantom supply is a convenience built into many boards some with the ability to turn on phantom to groups of microphones. Microphones vary and some can function very well on as little as 1.5VDC or as much as 120VDC+ depending on the microphone. Some broadcast microphones need in the order of 90-120 VDC to function properly and its always a good idea to read the specs to find out.

then from your experience you should know how spirit folio is a budget line of single board all smd crap from early 2000 (no possible warranty after 20 years ), differenlty from well know 200B, Deltas or Ghosts series.

Your assumptions on my actual background and skills is quite unkind and misleading, but I have not any need or willing to argue about it. This topic should be about a psu design, not about my career.

If you read carefully I already proposed 2 evidences of my assumption about underpowering (pull out headphone test, and spectra comparison from different trafos ) other than compare this PSU with similar sized desk from other manufactures. As already said I unfortunaly have no chance to undergo a precise rail testing or troubleshoot righ now.

All other sentences about me or my attitudes, look like just empty non-sense words

..maybe coz on heavy load this desk runs out of juice.. or maybe it is just FFT misreading and furtive imagination
The power supply in these and most other good makes, A&H, Behringer, Soundcraft etc can drive into a 600Ohm load and below.
Most inputs you are driving into are above 20k unbalanced or above 5k if balanced. There is only left and right which makes a less than 600Ohms loading by far.
Your argument doesn't hold water. Good luck to you and be careful near mains power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.