soundcraft spirit folio SX Psu improvememnt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
then from your experience you should know how spirit folio is a budget line of single board all smd crap from early 2000 (no possible warranty after 20 years ), differenlty from well know 200B, Deltas or Ghosts series.

Your assumptions on my actual background and skills is quite unkind and misleading, but I have not any need or willing to argue about it. This topic should be about a psu design, not about my career.

If you read carefully I already proposed 2 evidences of my assumption about underpowering (pull out headphone test, and spectra comparison from different trafos ) other than compare this PSU with similar sized desk from other manufactures. As already said I unfortunaly have no chance to undergo a precise rail testing or troubleshoot righ now.

All other sentences about me or my attitudes, look like just empty non-sense words

To be blunt I've forgotten more than you could possibly learn in the next 20 years. My assumptions are probably pretty close about your background and skills. I am fully aware as to the age of the piece your trying to argue about and my statement is more of a habit telling people not to modify equipment. With your background and need for experience and knowledge its better if you steer clear of the insides of anything audio related.

You to be blunt you have absolutely no idea as to what you want to do and only minimum knowledge of this primitive system. I would suggest that you heed the suggestion to be careful near mains power. You have no idea as to the proper setup especially when your attempting to drive unbalanced lines and your using unbalanced sources. AKA typical DJ experience and knowledge or I should say lack of it.

Good Day I'm done since your incapable of listening your not worth the time.

To be blunt I've forgotten more than you could possibly learn in the next 20 years. My assumptions are probably pretty close about your background and skills. I am fully aware as to the age of the piece your trying to argue about and my statement is more of a habit telling people not to modify equipment. With your background and need for experience and knowledge its better if you steer clear of the insides of anything audio related.

You to be blunt you have absolutely no idea as to what you want to do and only minimum knowledge of this primitive system. I would suggest that you heed the suggestion to be careful near mains power. You have no idea as to the proper setup especially when your attempting to drive unbalanced lines and your using unbalanced sources. AKA typical DJ experience and knowledge or I should say lack of it.

Good Day I'm done since your incapable of listening your not worth the time.

if you wish to deal with people suggesting to not modify gears you might have choosen the wrong place to interact with them.

Im ok working on the inside of stuff, this is how i have paid bills for last ten years, this give me fun other than money and valuable learning experiences.
Since I have an international clearance to design electrical plants I assure you dont need to care anymore about my safety.

My primitive system consist of electronic sources like synth and samplers hooked up to a desk with some fx outboards, nothing too fancy to deal with. Yet unbalaced sources are quite common in these primitive systems since I have no mention of any synth with balanced outs

Most opamps consume <= 150mW quiescent, and a full 11V rms signal at 5k load is another 50mW or so. 600mA supply is producing 22W at +/-18V, enough for 110 opamps running full whack.
@mark i can count 108 opamp and 56 npn, my desk is well fullfilled (i.e. every channel used, no direct out or insert connection yet)
From these statements, it is possible that the power supply doesn't have as much current as would be ideal, so an upgrade to a beefier transformer with more current capability might help when using your low-impedance headphones. The one you suggested with +/-19.7 rectified volts is running as little too close to the needs of the regulator's recommended 3-3.5 volt drop out allowance, so it'd be better to stick to the originals' +/-21.5 volts. It certainly won't HURT anything to have a little more current available. I'd recommend a higher VA-rated transformer (hell, an Antec AS-0518 is only $17.50!!) that will give 61 watts at full load, a couple of bigger filter caps (the stock 2200uF is a bit on the weak side), and Elvee's little de-noiser add-on (D-Noizator: a magic active noise canceller to retrofit & upgrade any 317-based V.Reg.) post #735. For probably less than $50, you'll have a power supply that will rival any of the big desks, and probably out-perform many of them.

as i said a bought another desk, actually i bought 2 of them to choose my favourite one.
my last post was just to reply to those who fooled me saying that this psu is more than enough (1000uf for rail...) and fooled me about my concerns which have been well address by that pic, no way a 24ch desk can run on that joke circuit with acceptable results, on my judge at least.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.