Sound signature

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thor2, I will invite you to participate in my upcoming cable blind test over at audiosciencereview.com , where some 5m of an ultra-junk giveaway RCA cable will be compared with a short (5cm of silver wire), or something along these lines of "extreme" cable difference. This will be the place where you can actually prove you're not just making fun of us, seeking attention, stealing our time.

Generally I think the complexity of music signals are beyond what we use to measure performance, even std IMD measurements are 2 tones but still differ quite a bit from a single tone in terms of measured distortion so maybe there would be more measured differences if you could measure 10 or 50 multi tones at the same time.
Did you see the links I gave to my measurement effort? Using real music signal. I will add the found residual for download, so you all can hear for yourself what the -130dB(!!!, again) difference between the cables sounds like.

@thor2, I will invite you to participate in my upcoming cable blind test over at audiosciencereview.com , where some 5m of an ultra-junk giveaway RCA cable will be compared with a short (5cm of silver wire), or something along these lines of "extreme" cable difference. This will be the place where you can actually prove you're not just making fun of us, seeking attention, stealing our time.
Thanks for the invitation, but must refuse, I have participated in plenty of blind tests and various other tests which prove that there are sound differences which can't be measured with certainty, now it is time to find out why and how.

Last edited:
... True, but no one can know how the capacitors sounds from measurements. Only with the ear and brain can it be decided...
You still do not understand my point. Hearing is not the same for everybody, but measurement is repeatable. What you can hear may nor be audible to me or somebody else. When you can hear a difference the measurement will tell you the significant value important for you for good sound. But that value may not be significant or of good sound for me.

Thanks for the invitation, but must refuse, I have participated in plenty of blind tests and various other tests which prove that there are sound differences which can't be measured with certainty, now it is time to find out why and how.
Single blind test isn't double blind test. Not proof but anecdote.
I know, but indra1 asked and I answered with the addition of a few practical examples.
Plural of subjective impression is still subjective impression. They don't go into metamorphosis and become objective evidence as if caterpillar turning into butterfly.

What about adding analog_sa?
I can predict that they will say your equipment's resolution doesn't suffice or something like that after they didn't hear any difference in the DBT.
Best regards!
That already has happened with the first, sighted listening test I've put up at ASR, gathering impressions before even starting the blind testing. Notably from the guys from the German forum where the BT didn't happen for thread moderation issues. You know, the same guys that are heavily engaging in even more weird stuff like cable sound, stuff like this (impact of mains fuses, even their directionality) : Tuning durch Feinsicherungen - Seite 6 - aktives-hoeren.de (sorry @all for linking to a German discussion).

We 'cable believers' must probably recognize the zero test as a total test, but still with weak points.
If the cable / component is tested as Ethan Winer shows, it will be with a standard interface which does not necessarily correspond to what the cable will be exposed to in 'a real hi-fi environment'.

Entertainment. That's what I'd also say if I absolutely had no clue of science.
Btw, I've found a video by PS Audio where this man tells anecdotes quite in an entertainer's manner.

Ethan Winer describes a low impedance source and a high impedance sink. Isn't this what HiFi gear provides?
As he said and we all (should) know, with the exception of TT interconnects, 'cause MM carts significantly rely on proper (cabling plus input) capacitances.

Best regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.